Author Topic: Searching for a new car  (Read 1847 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Searching for a new car
« on: March 24, 2005, 08:57:01 PM »
Now that the coupe has sold and the Scout is on the for sale circuit I need to find a replacement vehicle.

I want to go back to a turbo, most likely a wagon, and something with awd is preferred.  I am colsolidating so i want to make sure I ahve enough room and all that.

I am also trying to keep the price around $10K or less.  I also am looking for reliability and so forth.  I need a car that will last me about 3 years.  

Funny how you think that one year is all you need, and then you crunch numbers and focus on what's happening.  Next thing you know it's gonna be some time before you get to get something "new."

Anywho, based on my requirements my search is limited. I have been perusing the ads for Volvos and Audi's.  While I loved my A6, I do not like the A6 Wagons.  Oh and Transmission, manual or Auto is fine, but if it;s gonna be an auto it needs to be a good auto.

gragravar

• Supercar
Searching for a new car
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 09:07:33 PM »
for awd wagons in that price range, the a4 avant 1.8 from '99 is going to be your best bet.

if you don't quite need a full wagon - ie if a big hatch would do - then a '99 saab 9-3 viggen would be pretty sweet.  might be pushing your range a little though.  also can't remember might only be fwd.  

if you choose the volvo 850 watch for some of the ones with the 4 wheel steering.  those are nuts to maintain, and I never liked the feel from behind the wheel.

hmm - other than that you'll be into SUV's.  maybe a grand cherokee 5.9.  that could hurt on the gas prices though.

my  vote is the a4.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Searching for a new car
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 09:07:33 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Searching for a new car
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 09:19:44 PM »
No SUVs.  I am looking at Volvo V70R, V70 XCs. :) A little wrried about their AWD system in those though.

gragravar

• Supercar
Searching for a new car
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 09:25:21 PM »
my vote out of those would be the v70R - same utility, a little less offroad ability, but WAY more fun on the street.

haven't heard anything good or bad on their awd systems.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Searching for a new car
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 09:33:36 PM »
I was reading over on swedespeed about some viscous coupling that tends to fail on that system.

yeah, I love the V70R.  I have only found Autos, all 4spd Autos.  Which is a shame for that power.

I don't need off-roadability.  I just want some go, handling and room.

I am looking at A4 Avants as well.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Searching for a new car
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 10:20:45 PM »
How about a Subaru Legacy GT wagon?
Affordable, reliable and sporty.

There are actually Volvo AWD for $10,000?  I thought Volvo introduced AWD in the last 5 years.

The Saab 9-5 wagon is nice.  Depreciation is pretty bad so I think you could pick up a used one relatively cheap.

I have a crazy idea: how about a Passat wagon?
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Searching for a new car
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 10:32:07 PM »
AWD started in 98 with the Volvos.

Rian_Colorado

• Stock
Searching for a new car
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 01:44:29 PM »
I'm still partial to the urs6 wagon. I'm thinking that will push your price point however. I've seen good / clean cars in the 13-15K range though.

Just something to make you say......hummmm

R
55 MPH, slow enough to make you THINK you're safe, fast enough to kill you"

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Searching for a new car
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 01:53:59 PM »
Yeay, there are a couple for sale locally, but I think they are both priced at about $13 - $14K.

I din't think  I'll be able to talk em down $4K on price?  I could try, a la Tommy Boy and the Guarantee Fairy sales pitch.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Searching for a new car
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 01:54:09 PM »
I would suggest one, but since I'm buying it you'd better not even ATTEMPT to outbid me!!

For you I'd suggest an older A4 Avant, the 95 S6 wagons are cool but really hard to come by - and like Rian said, a good one will be over $10k. Older legacy GT wagons might be worth a look, although not terribly fast they are AWD and seem like a nice package.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Searching for a new car
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 01:55:28 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
I could try, a la Tommy Boy and the Guarantee Fairy sales pitch.

"of course, I can crap in a box and slap a guarantee on it.... I've got spare time."

:lol:

Rian_Colorado

• Stock
Searching for a new car
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 02:08:18 PM »
I understand on the price point, believe me!

Think about it this way though, you probably wouldn't want to sell it for a WHILE. maybe it could keep you happy for 5-7 years! ..... more time to spread out the loans anyhow :)

That car for 13-15, with lower milage and in good shape is still a steal I think. ummmmm 5 cylanders and turbo..... ummmm

R
55 MPH, slow enough to make you THINK you're safe, fast enough to kill you"

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Searching for a new car
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 02:21:25 PM »
Haha - lower mileage on those is <70k!!!

Would be sooo worth it though, like Rian said: it would be something to hang onto for a while. Just be vewwy vewwy patient in your search.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Searching for a new car
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 02:36:38 PM »
Well l0ok at it this way, I am trying to pay cash. I will have to finance a few grand until the scout sells.

If I could afford to be back at having a $16K car I would have kept the A6, but I don't want payments.

I figure I can shop up to $12K cause there is some negotiating room.  It's real easy to try and justify spending more, but that means I have to finance more than I want to.

I have looked at the Subies, just not a fan of what I can afford.  So my search now is very limited.  I am being patient in my search, but I will need to buy something quite soon.  Ratesa re going up and I have about 20 days left on my financing approval.

Having awesome credit is...awesome. :)