Author Topic: ARRRRRGGGHHHHGHGHGHHGG!!!!!!  (Read 3271 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
ARRRRRGGGHHHHGHGHGHHGG!!!!!!
« on: May 20, 2005, 02:34:51 PM »
Friday started out pretty well and then I go run an errand for my wife, I'm in the inside turning lane (last time mind you) and there's a median. What does the jerk in the far turning lane do? CUT ME OFF! I nail the curb with my left rear wheel, honk my horn, yell and other such emotional outbursts.
GRRRRRR....no I have TWO rims with curbage...GRRR. And this one's really painful to look at it. It's deep :evil:  :x  :x  :x  :x
On top of that, my car sounds like a music box of horror today. I have a bird chirping sound coming from my left front...it goes away when I tap the breaks and then comes back when I let up off the brakes. I can't drive around with the brakes on. AND it has this odd sound at idle like an exhaust leak. It's not though. It goes away when I let out the clutch AFTER it makes that wonderful dry scraping sound.

*sigh* At least it hasn't missed a beat and is fast...I have the music and stuff. Japanese food a beer tonight I think....then a big brake kit :lol:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

huevon

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 02:42:15 PM »
i get pissed when people do that.. ECStuning is where i bought my big brake upgrade kit and it was $404

then i got the stainless steel brake lines too since i am taking everyting off...
those were $118

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 02:42:15 PM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 02:46:40 PM »
I'd be divorced if I bought a BBK :cry: I'm wondering if that's the source of my noise. I'm giving the dish on my wheels a run for their money.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

huevon

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 02:54:02 PM »
it wasnt much more than stock from what i was quoted..plus, i completly redid my wifes brakes on her suv and it cost a little less than the big brake upgrade.. about $60

so she didnt say anything when i bought my supplies...

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 03:01:13 PM »
Man I hate little noises - I think a lot of us enthusiasts are like that and apparently I'm not alone in my obsessiveness. The worst is when they are RIGHT THERE *point* and you have no idea what is causing it or how to stop it. Dash rattles are the worst.

I have a weird rattling sound coming from the back of my car - has been doing it for many months now and I have no clue what it is.   :evil:
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 03:02:54 PM »
Good for you :roll: You're car probably doesn't make crappy sounds and got a big niked rim :evil: Oh, and you probably make more money than I do and your wife doesn't freak out every day over money.

Sorry...I'm little bitter about today  :evil:  :roll:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 03:55:23 PM »
yeah my ex-wife used to freak out about money all the time....
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 04:06:24 PM »
is the other driver paying for the damages?
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 04:11:35 PM »
No, he wouldn't stop. Completely ignored me.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 05:10:20 PM »
that F'en blows, sorry to hear about that.

No witnesses or a license plate #?
I would call the police if that happened to me -- or let him hit me so that you have solid proof.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

huevon

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 05:19:36 PM »
Quote from: "jayryan"
Good for you :roll: You're car probably doesn't make crappy sounds and got a big niked rim :evil: Oh, and you probably make more money than I do and your wife doesn't freak out every day over money.

i would be bitter too if someone made me damage my car

..and if that comment is for me above ( which i dont know if it is or not ) money for us is always a battle as i am sure it is for everyone. my car used to make crappy sounds all the time ( before timing belt change )  and dash rattles are constant.. Every one of my rims are rashed ( i had to buy them used but they are new to me..all are cub rashed more than 3 inches and one i had to replace because it was warped..) and i am driving on 15 steelies for most of the year.. I ROCK the steelies..

i know we all hate for our cars to be damaged...you should see my front valence..i pulled it out even more pulling out of Ian's driveway.. you should have seen his face when i scraped...what a grimace..

i am sorry if you took it from me that i was trying to come off better or something..that is not the way i operate.. i was just trying to get you a big brake upgrade if you had to argue with your wife like i did about $$$... that was the only way i could do it..

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 05:56:18 PM »
Quote from: "huevon"
i get pissed when people do that.. ECStuning is where i bought my big brake upgrade kit and it was $404

You got a BBK for $404? 8O   How in the world did you pull that off?  Used?
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 06:00:55 PM »
Sorry JR...  :(

Just a quick note about body squeeks at least for the MKIV. Putting in a rear upper stress bar took away 90% of my body squeeks -no exageration. After i put springs, shocks and sways on i always had squeeky demons, but no more.
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 06:27:14 PM »
Quote from: "huevon"

i would be bitter too if someone made me damage my car

..and if that comment is for me above ( which i dont know if it is or not ) money for us is always a battle as i am sure it is for everyone. my car used to make crappy sounds all the time ( before timing belt change )  and dash rattles are constant.. Every one of my rims are rashed ( i had to buy them used but they are new to me..all are cub rashed more than 3 inches and one i had to replace because it was warped..) and i am driving on 15 steelies for most of the year.. I ROCK the steelies..

i know we all hate for our cars to be damaged...you should see my front valence..i pulled it out even more pulling out of Ian's driveway.. you should have seen his face when i scraped...what a grimace..

i am sorry if you took it from me that i was trying to come off better or something..that is not the way i operate.. i was just trying to get you a big brake upgrade if you had to argue with your wife like i did about $$$... that was the only way i could do it..

It's all good. We all have stuff we don't like. My car was doing well up until a few months ago and then things started to happen as they usually do and my list of repairs (not mods) is getting bigger, time and money are both lacking.  :roll:

I've given up on my car's body. I detailed, polished, buffed and waxed the other day. I succeeded in giving a mirror finish to my far more obvious dents and scratches :roll:

My headlights are yellow that I can sort of sand down and polished (tried a little last night) It makes whiter and not so much clearer, but better none the less. My REAR bumper looks like it went through a meat grinder but I succeeded in working out most of my trunk dent on my own :P

Now, i get to see Mark's ridiculously perfect Variant front tonight...maybe he'll drive the TT :roll:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2005, 06:40:08 PM »
I feel your pain JR.
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2005, 06:49:16 PM »
Thanks Greg.
BTW: If you want a killer price on the A8 upgrade hit parts4vw.com
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

s4josh

• Modded
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2005, 07:22:09 PM »
I just let people hit me when that happens.  That way they are liable for all damages instead of me trying to prove in court that they ran me off the road or cut me off.

I got screwed in my Jeep three years ago by some lady in a Lincon Navigator and ate a three foot concrete retaining wall.  She turned from the inside lane of a double turn lane straight into the outside lane where I was.  I was just trying to avoid her, but all I got for driving defensively was to pay for all damages.  No witnesses (that stopped), No truthful statements, No pictures = screwed.

Remember its not your fault they dont know how to drive and its good lesson for them ;)
Josh Ver 2.0

2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE DSG
2009 VW Jetta TDI 6sp man
2006 VW MkV GTI DSG w/LC
2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI-PD
2003 VW Jetta TDI-PD
2001 Audi B5.5 S4 6sp man

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2005, 01:41:02 AM »
Damn JR, I am sorry to hear that.  I think I have 2 rim left without curbage...Not to mention my whole front end is pretty much ready for a respray and I think my control arms will need replacing soon.  

The good news is that my tires are very quiet and all major systems are operational.

I think I may have to start a nitpicking thread...
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2005, 11:27:50 AM »
Yes...operationally, I'm running top notch.

The problem with letting someone hit you is that you don't know what kind of crazy damage they'll end up doing. If I was pinned between a car and the median, then there could have been some wacked steering/front end damage and to be honest, my car's not worth a whole heck of alot anymore. Something small on first glance could end up costing the car or the rims which aren't covered under insurance :roll:

I love my car too much to risk major damage. I'd rather pay $150 or so for curbage fix than $300 deductable...even if it did pay for a front end fix.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2005, 01:29:27 PM »
...and if the person hitting you is uninsured, your insurance has to pay (plus your premiums go up) for a lot more damage than the wheel curbage.

s4josh

• Modded
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2005, 05:42:44 PM »
Your insurance company cant raise your rates on an uninsured driver claim?  I think its against state law or is that just comp claims or I think it falls under a comp claim?  I am sure someone here knows.

Atleast ONLY 45% of the cars on the road are uninsured in Colorado  8O
Josh Ver 2.0

2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE DSG
2006 VW MkV GTI DSG w/LC
2003 VW Jetta TDI-PD

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2005, 05:09:03 PM »
I think I just stumbled on to a very likely candidate of my problems.
http://passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182358
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2005, 05:57:15 PM »
I think I just stumbled on to a very likely candidate of my problems.
http://passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182358

not that I enjoy being right  :P , but didn't I say subframe bolts.   :?:

:roll:
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2005, 08:23:47 PM »
You did, but I'm also talking about the downpipe chirping. Grrr...I need to get under my car. I HATE working 12 hour days and having a wife that doesn't want me to work on the car on the weekends :roll:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2005, 08:38:54 PM »
You did, but I'm also talking about the downpipe chirping. Grrr...I need to get under my car. I HATE working 12 hour days and having a wife that doesn't want me to work on the car on the weekends :roll:

just wait, it only gets worse.  In the last 2 weeks I have had some major pulls on the heartstrings by the 2 year old.  hopping on the phone when I am talking to my wife she breaks into the conversation to say, "Daddy, come home now!"  then later I came into the house after being in the garage chaning over the winter tires.  her reaction was an excited "Daddy came home again".  Get the feeling I am spending too much time away?

grrrr.

Oh, and good luck with the chirping.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2005, 09:33:58 PM »
Yeah...my wife and I were just talking about what we'd have to do if she had a baby...it's either the baby immediately goes into day care or I work 6-7 15+ hour days 8O
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

s4josh

• Modded
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2005, 01:34:32 PM »
Well your wife can take upto 12 weeks off from work under FMLA to spend with the baby, so you would only have to work that much for 12 weeks to life... :p
Josh Ver 2.0

2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE DSG
2006 VW MkV GTI DSG w/LC
2003 VW Jetta TDI-PD

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
Re: ARRRRRGGGHHHHGHGHGHHGG!!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2005, 08:24:11 PM »
...I have a bird chirping sound coming from my left front...it goes away when I tap the breaks and then comes back when I let up off the brakes...

You guys need to spend more time on the "parent" site... :)
(and I need to spend more time here...)

Brake Caliper Bushings.  They're made of rubber and compress and/or go soft over time, causing the caliper to become misaligned, giving the noise effect of a sticking caliper.  Get new rubber factory ones, or if you want your brakes to kick ass, get the Tyrolsport bronze ones.
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2005, 10:33:24 AM »
Thanks Rusty! I guess my front end is due for a completely new setup :roll: I should spend more time over there...it takes so long to search though and then I get distracted with other posts and all sorts of crazy info.

So let's see then....
Calipers
Pads
Bushings
Fluid
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner