Author Topic: DYNO DAY RESULTS!!!!  (Read 9870 times)

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
DYNO DAY RESULTS!!!!
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2005, 05:39:59 PM »
Right. You need to go hang out on the S4 forums more often. The TIP can be upgraded to handle the power. There are several Stage III tip cars out there now doing just fine.

Stronger clutches, stiffer springs in teh valve body and better cooling and you are good to go.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

speedpro

• Stock
    • http://www.speedpros4.com
DYNO DAY RESULTS!!!!
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2005, 12:59:47 AM »
Hey Cole...What mods does your S4 have.  Those are some solid numbers...something I aspire to.
peedpro

'01 S4 Avant

Rocky Mountain Club B5

DYNO DAY RESULTS!!!!
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2005, 12:59:47 AM »

Cole

• Heavily Modded
DYNO DAY RESULTS!!!!
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2005, 01:17:37 AM »
Here is the list of the stuff I know of. (not all HP related)

GIAC -X-CHIP
Brullen Exhaust
K&N Filter
Samco TBB
Forge BPVs
GIAC TIP-CHIP

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

s4josh

• Modded
DYNO DAY RESULTS!!!!
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2005, 05:16:31 PM »
I don't know if you guys have seen this S4 or not but here you go VTG Killer S4

750 hp and 740 ft lbs!  0-62 mph = 3.1 seconds!  1/4 mile = 10.665 seconds!  Its a Wagon too!

This is my goal for my S4 for the a dyno day in the future!
Josh Ver 2.0

2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE DSG
2009 VW Jetta TDI 6sp man
2006 VW MkV GTI DSG w/LC
2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI-PD
2003 VW Jetta TDI-PD
2001 Audi B5.5 S4 6sp man

s4josh

• Modded
DYNO DAY RESULTS!!!!
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2005, 06:00:41 PM »
Quote from: "JDawg"
First of all, I will still argue that the M3 torque curve is much flatter than the S4, and that it will produce more usable torque earlier in the RPM range.  I did post my M3 dyno on the first page of this thread.  Otherwise, you are correct on the numbers.  I still believe that I will be able to put together a NA M3 that will contend with a chipped S4, and on a track would probably eat one alive, however sometimes ignorance is bliss ;)

Flatter is not better! Flat torque curve is why the BMW I-6 feels so smooth while you accelerate.  A stock S4 is making almost 100 ft lbs more torque at 2200 rpms and changes no more than 10% until 5800 rpm making a very broad power band.  The M3 has a very flat curve with a little hump right in the middle where it should be and there is nothing wrong with that, but the S4 is still going to take you :)

Best thing to do is take it to the Bandimere speedway and run the 1/4.  On Test-n-Tune Wendsdays its $30 to run your car as many times as you can between 4pm and 9pm.  This is a good time to do it also because you are stock and you can gauge how your mods improve your 1/4 times from stock going forward.

My best time 100% stock and 3/4 tank of gas was 14.917 seconds at 92 mph (Bandimere Speedway).

Quote from: "JDawg"

Oh, and BTW I was looking into using the Schrick 284 intake and 274 degree exhaust cam, which comes from the Euro M3. It should produce better results than the first cam you mentioned.

Heres something you should seriously consider, so you dont damage anything.  In that artical I post about the 1997 BMW M3 they used the 264 deg intake and 256 deg exhaust w/ 11.2 mm lift cams and were getting thier max hp at 6900 rpm.  If you use the 284 intake and 274 degree exhaust cams you are going to move your max hp out to 7500-8000 rpm.  Your stock rev limiter kicks in at 6600 rpm for a reason.  Unless your planning to have the engine rebuilt, balanced, stiffer valve springs, better valve retainers, better valve guide material, and prolly forged pistons (wriste pins in cast pistons can do bad things at high engine speeds) I would suggest against such a high duration cam in a stock engine without rebuilding it or at least rebuilding the head with performance parts.

Valve springs lose how much pounds of resistance they have over a period of cycles and stock ones do not have enough force to close the valve quick enough to keep it from hitting the piston at high engine speeds (valve float).
Josh Ver 2.0

2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE DSG
2009 VW Jetta TDI 6sp man
2006 VW MkV GTI DSG w/LC
2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI-PD
2003 VW Jetta TDI-PD
2001 Audi B5.5 S4 6sp man

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
DYNO DAY RESULTS!!!!
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2005, 02:12:31 PM »
Honestly, I could care less about quarter mile times.  While straight line fast cars are fun and exciting, the M3 was purchased to be used on the track, at SCR, Pikes Peak, Pueblo, etc.  My needs for power are different than a 1/4 mile track car needs.  Smooth, predictable and responsive power delivery will help me to accelerate out of corners faster, and that is where I will continue to focus when I modify the M3.  When I compare cars, I compare how they perform in that environment, not really on a 1/4 mile basis.
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
DYNO DAY RESULTS!!!!
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2005, 02:13:54 PM »
Honestly, I could care less about quarter mile times.  While straight line fast cars are fun and exciting, the M3 was purchased to be used on the track, at SCR, Pikes Peak, Pueblo, etc.  My needs for power are different than a 1/4 mile track car needs.  Smooth, predictable and responsive power delivery will help me to accelerate out of corners faster, and that is where I will continue to focus when I modify the M3.  When I compare cars, I compare how they perform in that environment, not really on a 1/4 mile basis.

You are right about the cams though.  Most people seem to feel comfortable running a stock M3 S50 engine at 7000 - 7200 rpm, and with cams and software I expect that is where it will be.  At this moment, I am not planning to build the engine to manage higher RPM's, but if something were to happen to it, I would seriously considering doing so at that time.  I am by NO MEANS knowledgeable when it comes to engine internals, and that is why cams are the limit of my comfort in modifying the engine.  I will rely on the expertise of BimmerHaus to provide any answers I am looking for, and so far that has been their recommendation.  Bob has stated that with cams and the other slight modifications; I will be in the 310 crank HP ranges, which for me and the track driving would be a great place to start.  Much more power and I will have serious issues keeping the power on the ground, without making changes to wheel widths, locking diffs, and gearing.  My intention now is to maximize the current setup of the M3, for my use in SCCA ITE events, when I get there.  I have to be careful about what mods I make, and follow the rules in doing so as well.
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

Cole

• Heavily Modded
DYNO DAY RESULTS!!!!
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2005, 03:00:19 PM »
I would be interested to see a head-2-head of the E36 M3 vs. the B5S4 on a track.

"Top Gear" did one of the E46 vs. the B6 S4 and had some interesting things to say.

The M3 was about 2-3 car lenghts faster at the end of the 1/4 mile.
The M3 was more "fun" and the Audi felt "Smooth and safe". (I am actually paraphrashing here)
On the racetrack however the Audi smoked the M3. 8O

I would be interested if anyone knows of a link to a comparison of a stock b5 s4 vs. a stock M3.  I know the M3 is slightly faster in a straight line. But wondering if all the rumors of handling are due to "feeling" and not actual results.

I personally would rather have a car that handels well than one with lots of power. But since I bought the S4 I understand where the power hungy addiction comes from.

Up until yesterday I swore I would dial in the suspension before anymore power modifications. (then I blew a turbo! If I have to replace it, I may as well upgrade while I am in there :D )

Usable power for track use varies a lot from car to car. Too much power in the M3 may actually make it MUCH harder to drive a clean lap. The nice thing about the M3 is that it has very linier and predictable power. This is MUCH easier to use on a track.  

I auto-Xed a MR2 Turbo and the power curve made it a very tricky car to drive well on the course. Throttle modulation is nowhere near the same as a NA car.

The dyno is a great tool. But it is only a very small slice of the overall pie of information needed to determine overall performance.

One last thought. A road course is made up of two parts. Straight lines and curves. This requires three things. Going, stopping and turning.  You can blend these in a variation of ratios and end up with the same lap times.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

Cole

• Heavily Modded
DYNO DAY RESULTS!!!!
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2005, 08:07:58 PM »

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor