Author Topic: New CAI for B5 almost there...  (Read 2612 times)

Chas

• Modded
New CAI for B5 almost there...
« on: March 29, 2005, 09:36:41 PM »
So I have been working on building a CAI for my car. I was hoping to have it done before the dyno day, but it just wasn't going to work out like that. Anyhow, I have made some real progress as of late. I found a great turbo shop up in Golden, Turbo Engineering Corp. (TEC). They had all the right pieces I needed. Now I just need to get the two aluminum 90 degree bends welded together so that I can drill a couple of holes in the top for the IMC heatsink to fit into the middle of the "U" shape. The IMC on AEB Passats is a real sticking point. The IMC needs to be cooled by the inrushing air from the intake much like it is in the factory air box. If this isn't allowed to cool then the IMC will simply burn out. And then I'll be out another $120 or so.

So once the two halves are welded together I will then have one hanger bracket welded onto the left side so that the whole assembly is properly supported and isn't just hanging in it's spot. The heat shield is also almost done. I just need to fab up a couple brackets to help hold it in place and then one more to attach the MAF to the heatshield to keep it locked down and not wiggling.

here are the pictures I have so far of the project. I'm getting real good at removing the airbox and getting all the pieces in place to test fit stuff.  :roll:

This is what the whole thing will look like once the covers and shield are in place. It kinda looks factory still.

Hopefully I'll have the rest done soon. I'll post up the final pictures once it's all welded up, cut down and bracketed.  8)  :lol:  8)  :lol:
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 10:39:00 PM »
Looks good.  Just be ready for the added sound the system will make.  Mine is not loud, but it is noticable.  The first time people get in my car they always ask what the sound is. :lol:
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 10:39:00 PM »

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 01:17:43 AM »
I'm hoping for a little more sound. That would be kinda cool!  :lol:  8)  8)  :P
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!