Author Topic: GIAC or APR  (Read 2284 times)

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
GIAC or APR
« on: March 31, 2005, 11:34:38 AM »
I know.. I know.. the PIA the question..

I am trying to decide bewteen APR and GIAC. I have had APR for 4 years in the Jetta with no problem, but the closest dealer is up in Loveland. GIAC sounds good to, doesn't have all the features of the APR.. But i can old get chipped between 11am-3pm M-F at Avalon (GIAC). Which doesn't work with my work schedule.. Atleast SCR up in Loveland will schedule an evening appt or a sat or sun appt which is great..

On the b6 which software has been getting better results? Any input? Any input on the quality of service from either installer?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
GIAC or APR
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 12:26:13 PM »
I would chat with Randy about some options.  I think Avalon carries Revo and GIAC.  I also believe with both it is loaded through the OBD-II port instead of the old fashined crack open the ECU and chip method.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

GIAC or APR
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 12:26:13 PM »

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
GIAC or APR
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 12:50:40 PM »
If all you plan on doing is a chip (no big turbo upgrades, etc) I would do GIAC
Life's too short to be taken seriously

shummer

• Modded
GIAC or APR
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 02:15:42 PM »
Based on the dyno results, I would seriously consider Revo if starting from scratch.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
GIAC or APR
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 03:44:24 PM »
Eric, I am working on a day that fits your schedule.  Zev and I are out of town this weekend, otherwise we would do it this weekend.  I will call you next week and hopefully we can schedule you for a time that works.

As for what program you want...  What features are you looking for?  APR, GIAC and REVO all offer OBD II flash-loading of the software.  They all also offer a control unit that allows you to manipulate the programing.

REVO is in a bunch of the cars on this forum.  GIAC has some great programs for your car.  Depending on what your long term plans for the car are, I can offer additioanl information.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

huevon

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
GIAC or APR
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 04:13:55 PM »
RSMotorsports in Arvada handles APR too. I have had problems with the Revo dealer here in colorado with installation but that was just my experience and it was not a good one. Revo, the program, is working fine in my car now and i have had no issues with the program itself.

I would check out RSMotorsports if you are interested in APR

but all 3 apr,giac and apr have had good reviews.

just my .02 :D

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
GIAC or APR
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 05:13:20 PM »
Quote from: "shummer"
Based on the dyno results, I would seriously consider Revo if starting from scratch.

I don't know how significantly the programming changes across models, but I was very please with my APR dyno numbers.  I do have the older, soldered in chip, as opposed to the Direct Port Programming (or whatever it's called, now).  I don't know if this would make a difference, either.

Ian
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

scott

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
GIAC or APR
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 05:31:52 PM »
GIAC has always been known to push the limits a bit farther than most, so if total performance is your goal the choice is clear. If you just want a solid driver than it really comes down to ease of install and personal choice.

By the way... all 3 will be at DATR and I am pretty sure they will have show day only discounts...

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
GIAC or APR
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 01:36:39 AM »
Quote from: "scott"
GIAC has always been known to push the limits a bit farther than most, so if total performance is your goal the choice is clear. If you just want a solid driver than it really comes down to ease of install and personal choice.

By the way... all 3 will be at DATR and will have show day only discounts...

I am leaning towards just doing the whole APR stage 2 and calling it a day. I don;t really want the magnaflow exhaust and it will be weird with APR exhaust and GIAC programing... Maybe if Avalon can do a Miltek exhaust and the GIAC program with the flashloader i might go that way.  I will have to compare the prices to.. See who offers the most bang for the $$.  Who has the most HP for the $$?

I like the APR with the flipswitch, fault code erase and TBA, but since i have a prodiag, i guess i don;t really need those features, i just need to learn how to use prodiag.

Who has the most HP for the $$? Oh and i will not be going with a big turbo later.. OEM for a long time.

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
GIAC or APR
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 03:04:48 AM »
Milltek exhaust
GIAC chip... but APR has the 100octane mode which is on sale this weekend.

BTW, I have had Milltek and APR.  Milltek was a bit quicker (maybe 5hp), but the APR has a better sound... deep sounds like a 6cylinder.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
GIAC or APR
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 01:30:23 AM »
Quote from: "Spicoli"
Milltek exhaust
GIAC chip... but APR has the 100octane mode which is on sale this weekend.

BTW, I have had Milltek and APR.  Milltek was a bit quicker (maybe 5hp), but the APR has a better sound... deep sounds like a 6cylinder.

Is this on a Audi A4 1.8T? Or something else?

TurboDub

• Modded
GIAC or APR
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 03:24:44 PM »
I'm considering a chip for my car as well...So far I have been leaning toward a Neuspeed .8 bar P-chip. I really don't need to drag race my car or blow anything up 8O , just a subtle boost would be nice...Any advice?

Thanks!
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
GIAC or APR
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2005, 11:25:23 PM »
Quote from: "TurboDub"
I'm considering a chip for my car as well...So far I have been leaning toward a Neuspeed .8 bar P-chip. I really don't need to drag race my car or blow anything up 8O , just a subtle boost would be nice...Any advice?

Thanks!

i was torn between GIAC and APR. Both are top notch, but i decided to go with the APR again since i had the APR in the Jetta for 62000 miles and NO problems and the APR was on sale the other day.. I guess i also felt better going with a chip company i know and have expereince with too. I know the GIAC puts out more power, but i just getting more conservative as i get old.  I would definitly go with either the GIAC or the APR. Both can be purchased locally and that to me is very important.