Author Topic: Crazy people...compared a Legacy GT to a Phaeton  (Read 2841 times)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Crazy people...compared a Legacy GT to a Phaeton
« on: April 18, 2005, 12:49:43 PM »
I could not believe it, someone on the subaru boards thought their Garnet  Red Legacy GT sedan was comparable to a VW Phaeton.....and they thought their car won because the driver of the Phaeton "looked" at the Legacy.

It has started an all out war on the Scoobie site....people knocking VAG....sheesh, don't people realize that ANY car maker is gonna have lemons?

I just think it is funny.
People need to get over them selves.

OK, I am done with my little gripe of the day.  But I do feel VAG should put bigger and stronger turbos in their cars.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 12:54:15 PM »
Amen on the turbos.  I do think the Legacy is almost exactly like a Ferrari, personally.  ;)
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 12:54:15 PM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 12:59:36 PM »
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"
I do think the Legacy is almost exactly like a Ferrari, personally.  ;)

haha, not the legacy.....you silly old man, my OUTBACK is like the Ferrari...sheesh....get it straight next time.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 01:12:59 PM »
I guess we are going to have to fight about this now, huh?  Put up your dukes young fella.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 01:18:11 PM »
dukes are up and ready :lol:   cuz we all know, If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong!!! haha

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 01:28:32 PM »
LOL, speaking of Ferrari, I saw a 360 Modena Spyder in Fort Collins yesterday.  It was silver with one happy guy at the wheel.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 01:36:37 PM »
I have riden in a Lamborgini once last summer down at Pikes Peak Race Way, but never been in a Ferrari.  I would love to ride in one at some point in my life, not sure i would want to drive one, I might be too nervous, but to go for a ride with someone that knew what they were doing, that would be a blast.  The 360s are nice, and silver is a great color for them, IMHO.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 01:46:28 PM »
Kind of reminds you of a Legacy, doesn't it.  The Outback reminds me of the Touareg.

I'm just playing.  You gotta post a link of all of those shenanigans on the subie site, so we can check them out and chuckle...

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 01:50:03 PM »
I was just going to do that, and the mods over there deleated it....they are so tight assed over there.  it was funny, and the thread lasted about 2 hours, now it is gone....the bastages.

I think the Outback is more like the H2 rollin on 26's than it is like the Touareg. :lol:

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 02:02:01 PM »
Speaking of Hummers...

I was driving back from Fort Collins and an H2 was on my butt at about 85mph.  That is some scary stuff.  I know he couldn't stop that 4 ton piece of scrap metal if I slammed on my brakes...

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 02:08:53 PM »
that is frightening.....back in the day, I would have played with him, done a brake check and all, but these days, I just let them pass, not worth it, also not worth the ticket.  I must be gettin old.  My parents would be so proud of me.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 02:13:31 PM »
Me too.  Try it with a wife and 9 month old.  I tried to let him pass, but he was intent on driving in my slip stream.  I ended up having to lose him, but got in trouble with Jen for some "unparently driving"

Eric

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.setuning.com
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 02:15:24 PM »
LOL, speaking of Ferrari, I saw a 360 Modena Spyder in Fort Collins yesterday.  It was silver with one happy guy at the wheel.

yup saw that guy before too.  Phaeton>Legacy fo sho

E

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2005, 02:43:56 PM »
Me too.  Try it with a wife and 9 month old.  I tried to let him pass, but he was intent on driving in my slip stream.  I ended up having to lose him, but got in trouble with Jen for some "unparently driving"

I get in that kind of trouble frequently, although Stacie is pretty understanding (and she drives like I do).  Hehe, our new little one got to see 100+ when she was only 3 days old.  oh well, at least it was on a wide open stretch of hwy.

Jon - loving the new outback.  I got another one from Hertz for the week out here in CA after my flight this morning.   I can see however why you want the new roll bars and different suspension pieces.    either way you cut it though, it is no Phaeton (maybe a touareg, but no phaeton)

Also, on a side note, and to really jack this thread, I found out this weekend that the 6spd allroad does a REALLY good job of keeping up with an S8.   Oh, and S8>Phaeton.   :wink:
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2005, 03:11:13 PM »
Quote from: "gragravar"

Jon - loving the new outback.  I got another one from Hertz for the week out here in CA after my flight this morning.   I can see however why you want the new roll bars and different suspension pieces.    

You are so right.  I LOVE the car, but it does need to be tightened up a bit.  After coilovers, sways, end links, front and rear under bracing, 18" rims and 245-45-18 tires...all of which will finally be here today...the car should be greatly improved.  Now just to find the time to install everything in the next couple of weeks.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2005, 03:16:13 PM »
I hear ya on that one, Jon.  Time is definitely a critical factor and spare time is rare around my place.  I can't wait to see pics of the transformed Outback!

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2005, 03:30:47 PM »
The Subaru B9 Tribeca would be comparible to a V6 Touareg, but I would have to say the Passat would be the closest and probably the only car comparible to the Legacy.

Those guys don't sound like they know much about cars -- sounds like something you probably hear from someone's wife or GF.
If you look at Automobile mag, Road & Track, and Car & Driver, they all had a comparisons/road tests of large luxury cars in the past few months.
They included the V8 Phaeton, Audi A8, Jaguar XJ8, Mercedes S-class, BMW 745i, and the Cadillac DTS.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2005, 03:34:29 PM »
Quote from: "aowhaus"
the Passat would be the closest and probably the only car comparible to the Legacy.

I somewhat disagree, I would say the A4, 325xi, S40 awd.  Remember, the Legacy GT is all wheel drive with a 250hp turbo boxer motor, entry price point is just under $25K.  The Passat without 4 motion is not a fair comparison.  the 1.8T with 4 motion maybe, but not the Front driver alone.