Author Topic: Wheel balance ?  (Read 2513 times)

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Wheel balance ?
« on: July 27, 2003, 02:39:22 PM »
I need to know if there are permanent inherent imbalances with going to this size wheel.  I  have steering wheel vibrations between the ranges of 40-80mph, I have not as of yet gone faster.  The vibration is not along the whole speed range but in pockets throughout.  It is not severe but annoying, though I have noticed that the vibration is sometimes worse when decelerating.  I bought the wheels from  Big O Tires and have had the car in twice after the initial install of the wheels, that makes for three times the wheels have been "balanced".  Each time they have either moved or in some cases removed some weights.  There has been some improvement with each visit.  Big O offered the idea of doing a speed balance on the last visit, but cautioned that it is a 1 1/2hr. process per wheel.  Would speed balancing offer the information that is required for "proper" balancing?  Or, does someone in the Denver area know of a business that is known for correcting this issue?
I do know that with the lowered suspension, the camber and toe is off on all four wheels, but I never had this kind of issue with my stock 15's.  I do not believe that this has anything to do at this point with the suspension.

I have posted this message on Clubb5 tire forum.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
Wheel balance
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2003, 09:05:14 PM »
I had problems when I went to 215/45 17" wheels, found out the people who balanced them screwed them up and didn't put the right kind of weights on. I kept having vibration problems until I had hub rings put on. Since then, I haven't had a problem other than keeping a good alignment. Discount tire does good balancing for speed rated tires, and whoever sold you your wheels and tires should offer up the hub rings, if they don't Discount should have them in stock for about ten bucks. Hope my suffering helps you save some headaches. It was a huge pain to figure all this out on my own, but Discount tire did a good job of setting me straight.
Look officer, I really do own it......

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Wheel balance
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2003, 09:05:14 PM »

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Wheel balance ?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2003, 09:27:18 PM »
Thanks Wyaka,

I know that concentric rings came with the wheels.  Maybe I need to make sure that they have been installed.  I have to admit that the guys at Big O seem to be missing the mark.  But maybe it is time to give someplace else a crack at it.  There is a Discount Tire just down the street from me.

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
Wheel balance
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2003, 09:31:27 PM »
Just make sure that they put the weights that lay flat along the inside of the wheel, not the regular ones that they pound between the rubber and the wheel.
Look officer, I really do own it......

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Wheel balance ?
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2003, 03:23:26 PM »
Yeah, there's no way the wheels should be that bad.  They should absolutely get it right the next time, especially after what you've already put up with.  I'm sure the wheels are just fine.  And what's this speed balancing thing?  I've never heard of that.  They'll do that for no charge, right?
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Wheel balance ?
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2003, 06:08:57 PM »
Hopefully this long road will be winding down.  I definitely am walking away a bit more knowledged.

I went to Discount Tire to see what they could come up with.  All the tires except the front left were fine.  They brought me back to where they were balancing that wheel and brought to my attention that it looked like the tire was "out of round".  I could tell that when they sped the wheel up, the wheel did not have any visible defects in its spinning. The tire on the other hand had noticeable up and down movement along the tread horizon.  They did try to balance it as best as they could, even going as far as rotating the tire around the wheel to try to offset the 4oz.+ weight imbalance on that wheel.  In the end and after their asst. manager drove the car and confirmed that in his opinion, the tire was defective, I went back to Big O and asked them to order a replacement tire.  They said no problem and hopefully I should have the new tire on around lunchtime tomorrow.  It makes me wonder if they new this about the tire and was hoping that I would not bring it up.  Can’t say for sure.

As for the “speed balancing”, the gist that I got was that the tire is placed on a machine that will spin the tire at various speeds.  In the process of doing this it will run 10 tests to see where an imbalance/defect will be.  Supposedly it can tell if the problem is in the wheel or the tire and where it is.  But the trade off is that Big O said it takes about 1.5 hrs. per tire to complete.  They said that there would be no charge.  It is the first time I have heard of this too.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
Wheel balance ?
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2003, 06:23:17 PM »
Good.  That sounds right now.
BTW, what kind of tires did you go with?  I'm surprised that one was so jacked up right from the plant.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Wheel balance ?
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2003, 06:34:39 PM »
Falken GRB FK-451 235/40/ZR18.  Other than this problem, the setup runs great.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
Wheel balance ?
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2003, 06:40:09 PM »
Quote from: "StarlightB5"
Falken GRB FK-451 235/40/ZR18.  Other than this problem, the setup runs great.

Hmm.  I've heard a lo of good things about those tires.  Strange.  I know they're a little cheaper that most of the competitiion.  Maybe they spend less on QC?  Who knows.....
I guess this can happen with almost any tire out there.
-Chuck Patterson

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Wheel balance ?
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2003, 06:47:46 PM »
Now if I can just get my car in for the fender, I will be rockin'.  Patience sucks!  Oh well one at a time I guess.   :roll:

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Wheel balance ?
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2003, 02:13:06 PM »
The left tire was changed out Saturday and it made a huge difference.  I still feel a "little" vibration at higher speeds, but well within acceptable levels.  I figure at this point it is due to the lowered suspention.  I will get an alignment here soon since it has been just shy of a year since it was last done.