Author Topic: Good places to eat  (Read 8026 times)

jfrahm

• Modded
Good places to eat
« on: April 25, 2005, 01:34:36 AM »
I thought I'd start a thread to get some new tips on dining out.

Here are a few places I like, but they are not handy for me:

This place is near DU, open very late.  Great food but the hot sauce is not as good as Mamoun's in Greenwich Village:

JERUSALEM RESTAURANT
( 303 ) 777 - 8828
1890 E EVANS AVE,DENVER,CO,80210

These places, I think they are run by the same people.  Great food, great salsas.  Excellent for take-out (not much atmosphere.)  The chips and guac is a huge bargain.  

TACOS Y SALSAS
( 303 ) 367 - 1046
9103 E COLFAX AVE,AURORA,CO,80010

TAQUERIA EL OSO
( 303 ) 393 - 5408
7700 E COLFAX AVE,DENVER,CO,80220

This place was going to open a location in Stapleton but they got turned down.  Too bad, 'cause I can get to Stapelton in 25 min but the Colorado Blvd location is a pretty good haul.  Great New Mexico style food, near Colorado Blvd and Florida:

LITTLE ANITA'S
( 303 ) 691 - 3337
1550 S COLO BLVD UNIT 103,DENVER,CO,80222

I'd like to find some good places in the Boomfield/Thornton/Northglenn area.  Any suggestions?

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

tweakeDub

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
Good places to eat
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 02:00:42 AM »
El tepehuan...not sure on spelling but is is right off of Brodaway and Hampden acrossed the street from the Army surplus.  The place looks shady but has the best Burrito. It is called the Bob's burrito. GREAT

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Good places to eat
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 02:00:42 AM »

BHase

• Modded
Good places to eat
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 02:14:45 AM »
Second on El Tepehuan (I guess that's how you spell it); I remember that they have weird hours though? Maybe that's changed.

Little Anita's is a good chain for New Mexican food. They also have locations on Colfax across from the Auraria Campus light rail station.

Second also on Jerusalem. When I went to DU for my undergraduate studies, I spent many nights there. I love their combination super plate and their gyros. Also, if you really need a kick where it counts, their arabic coffee is a real eye-opener.

I also like La Loma, which is by the stadium (Invesco). You can use citysearch.com to find that one. That one is a little bit more expensive. I think Blue Bonnet, and its neighboring Chinese restaurant, the Imperial Chinese Restaurant, are also pretty good. They're in that recently built complex just south of the Broadway and Alameda intersection.

Torres Mexican Restaurant, which is south of Federal and Florida has pretty good Mexican food which I would consider a bit more traditional than you would usually found. But it is a big place, so even when it is packed there are seats, and their food is well-priced and comes in decent portions.

Cafe Berlin is my favorite place to go for German food. I'm picky about this, being from Germany, and this is almost like home.  They moved recently, I think they're further downtown now.  

If you're by DU and don't feel like Jerusalem, Treehouse Cafe has pretty good sandwiches, but that is slight more pricey (I think an average of $7 for a healthy sized sandwich is about right, maybe a bit more).

Up in the area around 32nd and Lowell, there is a place called Julia Blackburn's, which also has good, restaurant-style New Mexican food.

I haven't been there for awhile, but there's a place up near Kipling and Mississippi called Cafe Jordano which used to have some pretty good Italian-style seafood dishes.  That's a small place, and I remember lots of waiting at night and on weekends.

For Vietnamese food, my friend (who is Vietnamese) always takes me to New Saigon, which is up by Federal and Alameda, or one of the numerous Pho places...I think the best one for that is called Pho '76, which is in Colorado Springs. But I'm sure the Denver ones are pretty decent too.

For sushi, I love the Sushi Den, which is on the intersection of Pearl & Florida in Denver.  That can get pretty expensive, but you won't care if you order up a couple of flasks of hot sake, as I've too often found out myself.  Damn those 2 flasks for the price of one specials...

If you want coffee and don't mind (or want to join in on) a more independent-scene crowd, you can go right across the street from Sushi Den to Stella's Coffee Haus. That's only on here because it fits the coffee scene, isn't a mega-corporation, and I used to work there.

If you want to go someplace that is close pretty much wherever you live, I like Old Chicago, mostly because I drink like a fish, and people who are like that are rewarded with things like 20% discounts for you and a guest on food.  I consider their burgers to be pretty good, but I think the rest of the stuff is pretty good too.  Those are different wherever you go; the one in Glendale on Colorado Blvd is sometimes packed with DU students, the one on Wadsworth and Hampden is more low-key unless there's a game (this is usually where I end up).

I'm sure I could think of a billion more, but those are some of my suggestions of places I frequent most often! Guten Appetit!

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Re: Good places to eat
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 12:35:18 PM »
Quote from: "jfrahm"

I'd like to find some good places in the Boomfield/Thornton/Northglenn area.  Any suggestions?

-Joel.

why yes!

Mexican:
1- 3 margaritas in Broomfield (on 120th and Main), awesome food, service, and best tequila selection in the area. Tuesday nights are mariachi so avoid unless you like it loud (its a great time, but don't expect to have much conversation!).

2- La Guna's on Huron and 120th. It looks like a dive, but the food is very authentic... closest thing to Mexican food I've had since leaving Mexico! Decent tequila selection, and the only place in Colorado I've been to that serves horchata (if you don't know what it is - go there and try it.).

Pho:
1- Pho 88 on Federal and 104th in the Safeway shopping center beside Blockbuster. Pretty standard Pho shop, but consistently good and the people are super nice.

Sushi:
1- Even though it is a teppan-yaki joint, which is about as Japanese as French Fries, Hibachi grill at the Westminster Promenade has a great sushi section, and they even have some good premium cold sakes in house which was a surprise when I first went. Its no Sushi Tora (Boulder), but its close to home and good for when I don't feel like making the trek into Boulder.

Lastly, for VERY authentic Japanese food try Domo in Denver. It is on Osage street off Colfax (from I-25, go east on Colfax, then right on Osage - If you miss it, you need to make an appointment to get your eyes checked). Lunch prices are reasonable at ~ $8 an entree, but dinner prices can soar over $20, and worth every penny. The food there is first rate, the atmosphere unique, and they have an excellent assortment of premium cold sake (however, only two bottles open at a time - one dry and one sweet - so as to keep it fresh).

The food at Domo is more authentic than what I ate when I was in Japan! It is 'country food' - a lot of freshly made sauces, fresh fish, soups, and wonderful appetizers (served with every meal).
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Good places to eat
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 12:51:13 PM »
Quote from: "BHase"

For Vietnamese food, my friend (who is Vietnamese) always takes me to New Saigon, which is up by Federal and Alameda, or one of the numerous Pho places...I think the best one for that is called Pho '76, which is in Colorado Springs. But I'm sure the Denver ones are pretty decent too.

Yes! New Saigon is great - Never get pho there, not because it is bad (I'm sure it is wonderful), but because they have such an extensive menu of other items. Save the pho for a pho place. My favorite is anything with their 'Xao Ot'  sauce (excuse my poor vietnamese spelling) - chicken, duck, seafood - they are all amazing with this red, oily, spicy lemongrass sauce on them. Even after the meat is gone I pour the rest of the sauce over rice and eat it, yeah, its that good.

Also try their "vietnamese fondu" not sure the actual name on the menu, but it is basically fondu. It is a large platter of seafood meant to be shared with 2 or more people (its about $20), comes with a hot plate with a strong stock on it for cooking the meat, bowls of noodle and fresh vegetables. Great stuff.

shummer

• Modded
Good places to eat
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 01:47:13 PM »
Big fan of La Loma (chimichanga dinner w/ green chile). For a regular Mexican place where you get a combo plate w/ a cheese enchilada and such, I like Las Delicias (only been to the one on Colorado Blvd. and Kentucky) and Mi Cocina (near Sante Fe and Belleview). These two places have the best refried beans. They're really that good to get refried beans instead of chicken/beef/etc.

My wife and I prefer Pita Jungle (just north of Pete's Univ. Cafe) over Jerusalem. Maybe because it's a little cleaner. I think they call it Lebanese food.

I really like Piccolo's pizza too. Their Mexican truly sucks, and their pasta is average, but their pizza is worth it. Must be something in the sausage and mushrooms.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Good places to eat
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 02:41:32 PM »
damn, you guys are making me hungry.
How about doing a GTG at one of these restaurants soon.

Here are my pics:

SUSHI
Japon (Wash Park, on Gaylord) - awesome fresh sushi, cool atmosphere, just like Sushi Den, but not as pricey and without the attitude.  The only place I would order raw shrimp with complete confidence.

Hapa Sushi (Cherry Creek) - Transformer Tokyo-urban techno atmosphere.  Creative rolls.

Sushi Hai (Highlands) - three levels of dining, drinking and lounging.  

ASIAN
Tommy Thai (East Colfax) - nice casual modern atmosphere, fast service, you could order any dish to any level of spicyness, and it's cheap (about $5-6 a plate).  The Pad Thai and drunken noodles are awesome.

MEXICAN
Lime (Larimer Square) - modern mexican food, great margaritas, best homemade chips and salsa, always packed on the weekend and a popular bar spot at night.  Lots of beautiful people too.

FUSION/MODERN
Zengo (Riverfront Park) - unusual but great fusion of latin and asian cuisine.  Funky interior (designed by my office).

Swinclub 32 (Highlands) - never been there but heard countless rave reviews from friends.  Still very new (there's no sign on the outside), and the food is a fusion of asian and european (great selection of small dishes for sharing and sampling).  Nicely designed interior.

Vesta Dipping Grille (Lodo) - awesome concept and cooking (choose a grilled meat and select 3 dipping sauces from a menu of 30).  Excellent quality and service even after being open for almost 5 years.  A great place for groups as you could share sauces and plates.  Affordable wine menu.

AIX (Uptown) - pronounced X and named after a region of France.  Awesome french food, pricey but well worth it.  Intimate atmosphere.

AMERICAN
City Grille (Colfax & Grant) - best burgers in Denver.  Everything in the menu is good.  Great late night happy hour food and drink specials.  The blueberry habanero wings are awesome.

The Keg (Lodo) - my favorite place for steak (and much cheaper than The Chophouse and Ruth's Chris).  Cozy and comfy atmosphere.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Good places to eat
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 02:56:08 PM »
Quote from: "aowhaus"
damn, you guys are making me hungry.
How about doing a GTG at one of these restaurants soon.

I'm down!

Hey, anyone ever been to Aztec Sol? I've been wanting to go for a few weeks now... ever since I found out they have an impressive (200+ selection) tequila bar. Amazon has coupons for $10 that are good for $25 of food - can't be used for bevvys.

Oh, one more to add to my list: "J's Noodles" on South Federal between Mississippi and Kentucky (I think) - there is a KFC and Pizza hut on either side. A thai friend took me there and said it was the most authentic in town, he did all the ordering for both of us and it was all outstanding. The place looks like a dive, but the food is top notch. Order the "3 flavor fish" - it is one of the most expensive items on the menu at $14, but well worth it. Can usually be shared and is very spicy.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Good places to eat
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 03:03:13 PM »
Quote from: "aowhaus"

Japon (Wash Park, on Gaylord) - awesome fresh sushi, cool atmosphere, just like Sushi Den, but not as pricey and without the attitude.  The only place I would order raw shrimp with complete confidence.

Hapa Sushi (Cherry Creek) - Transformer Tokyo-urban techno atmosphere.  Creative rolls.

BTW - both of these have locations in Boulder on the Pearl St. Mall.

s4josh

• Modded
Good places to eat
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 09:55:50 PM »
Quote from: "hotani"
New Saigon is great - Never get pho there, not because it is bad (I'm sure it is wonderful), but because they have such an extensive menu of other items. Save the pho for a pho place.

New Saigon - Is prolly the best vietnamese place in town, but I made the mistake of ordering the Pho one night because it is their national dish and figured it would be really good there :doh:  Either way it was the worst Pho I have ever had and I only could handle a few bites and went and vomited in their bathroom, but when I came back the waitress offered to give me something else for free, so it was all good :D

Thai Bistrol -  At Kipling and Bowles has the best garlic and pepper chicken I had ever had any where and I get it Hot, but not Thai hot!  I would recomment against the Thai hot unless you have something to prove like I did one night :D

Lucero's & Sons Mexican Restaurant - It is my favirote burrito place in town at 52nd and Pecos just north of I-70 and Pecos.  Get the Combo Burrito with Cheese smoothered!  I eat there almost every Saturday morning with a couple of my friends.  Its a complete dive on inside & out, but the burrito's and their green chili kick ass.  I have been eating there for about 10 years and its still worth the 70 mile round trip drive.

Lechuga's Italian Restaurant - 36th and Tejon St.  The best thing about this place is the little devils (REAL spicy italian sausage wrapped and baked in pizza dough) ready to go right inside the entrance.  Get the mini devils and they have them in hot and mild.  The hot is hot so don't fool yourself if you dont like hot food, but the milds are just as good, just not as hot.  They <$1.50 a piece and ready to go, so you dont have to wait :)  I normal get four and two then and two later.

Waffle House - At C-470 and Broadway.  I love the character of the people and its quick-n-greasey all american food :D
Josh Ver 2.0

2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE DSG
2009 VW Jetta TDI 6sp man
2006 VW MkV GTI DSG w/LC
2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI-PD
2003 VW Jetta TDI-PD
2001 Audi B5.5 S4 6sp man

jfrahm

• Modded
Good places to eat
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 07:35:50 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions so far.  I also like Lechuga's.  It's a cheap date spot too, a couple little devils and a side of spagetti is a lot of food the the house Chianti is cheap and decent.

On Colfax across from the Bluebird you might try Mezcal.  The mexican food is supposed to be great, but I have not tried it.  I have had a Maya mezcal there that was amazingly good.  they have late night PBR and taco specials I have been meaning to try too.

I have been meaning to try the City Grill's burgers, but a friend of mine told me he was not enthused by his experience there.  Given this review I think the place deserves a shot.

Another place I like is the Bull and Bush Tavern on Cherry Creek:

Bull & Bush Pub and Brewery
4700 Cherry Creek Dr.
Denver, CO 80222
(303)759-0333

The happy hour is great, 1/2 price apps and $2 beers (maybe $2.50 now?)  The food is generally quite good and the beers are very good.  The beer of the week is also always $2.50.  Cheap for a pint of great beer.
An appetizer that'll fill you up is the mashed potatoes and green chile.  It's very good green chile (and I am something of an expert in that area.)  It's really more of a meal.

-Joel.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Good places to eat
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 08:04:28 PM »
Quote from: "s4josh"

Thai Bistrol -  At Kipling and Bowles has the best garlic and pepper chicken I had ever had any where and I get it Hot, but not Thai hot!  I would recomment against the Thai hot unless you have something to prove like I did one night :D

Yes, I've heard good things about Thai Bistro but am seldom in that neck of the woods. I'll have to make a trip soon and check it out.

Waffle House - At C-470 and Broadway. I love the character of the people and its quick-n-greasey all american food

HA! I'm from NC, there is a Waffle House at practically every exit on major highways in the south. Needless to say, I've spent a good amount of time in there!! :D

jfrahm

• Modded
Good places to eat
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 07:11:10 PM »
Gotta bring this thread back for some more.  I got take out last night from El Senor Sol (95th and Arapahoe, Lafayette)  Best carnitas I've had in forever.  My friend got the carne adobada, it was also very good.  I have eaten in the restaurant several times and it's generally good but I had not tried the bigger stuff.  I usually got a couple tacos or huevos and they were good, but this was GREAT!

I also got a very positive recommendation of Vesta Dipping Grill in LoDo from a friend's boyfriend.  He's a chef and should know from good.  He was very drunk but still I think the review was sincere.  We were at the falling rock trying out the new Avery 12 and the Saison DuPont (but what really grabbed me was the Rogue Youngers Special Bitter.)

Also the other day I took a date to Sabor Latino.  I do not like to talk about that place 'cause it's a fav and I have to wait for a table long enough already (no reservations.)  Awesome place and the Paella for two with wine is a good deal.  Don't spread the word too far:

http://www.menusfirst.com/denver/saborlatino.htm

-J.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Good places to eat
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 07:15:39 PM »
Armando's
Smokey Hill and Iliff

Best family, homemade Italian I've had since Rose Angeli's in Chicago.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Good places to eat
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 07:16:48 PM »
There is a El Senor Sol is real close to my office in Golden, we eat there often as well as Moosehill Cantina and Tafolino's.  All great Mexican restaurants.  There is a place called Tequilas on old Golden Road which is good too, great atmosphere and a nice patio to enjoy your food on.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Good places to eat
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2005, 08:04:29 PM »
speaking of paella... I just went to Cuba Cuba near downtown and it was very good - small, cramped and crowded in the entryway/bar, but lively and the whole place had a good feel to it. Interesting drink selections - try the "mojito" i think they called it - it was a mixed drink with rum and mint leaves in the glass. It looked like a glass of ice water, but was really tasty.

Two of us split the paella and it was very good - there was a lot on the menu I'd like to go back and try another time. Don't leave without trying one of their desserts - I had the 'goat cheese flan' and my friend had the 'tres leche cake' - both were outstanding.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Good places to eat
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2005, 08:08:41 PM »
Anyone been to Benny's?

A friend of mine did the site btw... I've been wanting to try it for a while now, but Aztec Sol is before it on the always growing list-of-places-i-need-to-try.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Good places to eat
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2005, 08:14:40 PM »
Benny's is awesome as well.

gragravar

• Supercar
Good places to eat
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2005, 08:48:41 PM »
My favorite day to day place remains Efrain's in Lafayette (or Efrains II in Boulder - menu is the same)

also really good is Paraiso Azteca in Erie

Village Tavern at flatiron crossing and Brassiere Ten-Ten on Walnut in Boulder have both good food and are good places for an after-work drink.

On the special occasions level I REALLY like the Greenbriar outside of Boulder.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Good places to eat
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2005, 11:44:26 AM »
Bump for City Grille- AMAZING burgers!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Good places to eat
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2005, 03:04:13 PM »
I have recently tried two new places: Aztec Sol in Denver and Zolo Grill in Boulder.

Aztec Sol
I went with a group of about 5 people last Friday night and there were not many people in there - which for me is a good thing as I don't like places - especially bars - that are crammed with people. The bar is attached to the adjacent restaurant with a double-door sized walkway, the restaurant is non-smoking and the bar is smoking (Denver is not quite as enlightened as Boulder in this regard... ;) ).

First off: Tequila. Aztec Sol has the largest selection of tequila I've ever seen in one place - it was amazing. I just stood there staring for a few minutes trying to take it all in. They import most of their bottles from Mexico since (as I was told) bottles purchased in the US have had their alcohol content altered from 38 to 40% which changes the taste (not for the better).

I tried two which were both excellent, but that is another thread -- I'll try to stay on topic here...

The food was standard Mexican restaurant fare - really good salsa, I ordered flautas with chicken and they were great - plus I got more than I usually do at other places. I'd say the food was better than average for Mexican restaurants, but not as good as '3 Margaritas'. ;)

Zolo Grill
Once again, another restaurant with staggering tequila selection! Not as many as Aztec Sol, but a very impressive collection from which I tried 2 (one of which was Casa Noble - wow.).

Zolo's food was great, and well presented. They are very much a southwestern restaurant, which is all good but I have yet to go to a SW place that has good rice - seems like they all use uncle ben's or something similar, maybe that is just the regional style, I don't know. My 'Boar Tamales' were excellent, and my friend's 'Buffalo Carne Asada' was as good if not better. Really good chocolate cake dessert! :)

gragravar

• Supercar
Good places to eat
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2005, 03:16:08 PM »
I have only been to the Zolo grill up in boulder.  it was pretty good too.  I tend to prefer their fish tacos.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Good places to eat
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2005, 03:30:42 PM »
Yes this was in Boulder - and I plan on trying the fish tacos next time. :)

shummer

• Modded
Good places to eat
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2005, 04:02:18 PM »
Just tried a new one a few weeks ago:

YaYa's Eurocafe in the DTC

My first impression just by the cafe name was soup, sandwiches, and coffee. It was far from it! They have live jazz on Fri. and Sat. nights which my wife really enjoyed (she played the saxophone and bassoon). Feels like an upscale chain, but not sure if it's a chain. The bar was on one tier while the dining area was on another. There was a pretty long wait for a table in the dining area, but we got seated immediately in the bar area (first come, first serve) where they had quite a number of tables (regular ones, not the tall ones w/ stools). We had two servers the entire night and my prosciutto wrapped salmon on green beans was excellent! I recommend this place especially if you and/or your significant other enjoy jazz.

jfrahm

• Modded
Good places to eat
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2005, 01:59:47 AM »
I finally stopped by The Original New York Pizza on Midway in Broomfield (next to the fire station a few blocks East of 287.)  Great calzones, pizza looks great, prices are low, beer selection is OK, patio is nice.  Perfect summer evening casual hangout.

-Joel.

BHase

• Modded
Good places to eat
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2005, 02:33:43 AM »
Since this thread is going again, let me just note that El Chapultapec, on 20th & Market, is a great dive bar.  There is often live jazz/blues music, and it is just a decent place to hang out.  Watch out, cash only!

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

jfrahm

• Modded
Good places to eat
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2005, 05:12:12 PM »
The 'pec is great.  They pour a nice glass of whiskey, and the food is supposed to be good too (never tried it.)

Dive-wise, the Old Curtis St. Bar is also pretty entertaining (21st and Curtis.)   The Satire Lounge on Colfax is also kinda fun.   I also like the Streets of London.  Not really a dive, they have London Pride on tap and all.

-Joel.

shummer

• Modded
Good places to eat
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2005, 05:23:01 PM »
My favorite dive is Crown Burger Plus at S. Downing and E. Wesley.

jfrahm

• Modded
Good places to eat
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2005, 02:46:03 PM »
As per the recommendation above, a friend and I tried La Guna's on Huron and 120th (just East of the Death Star) on Sunday.  It was very good!  Thanks for the suggestion.

-Joel.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Good places to eat
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2005, 04:42:48 PM »
Quote from: "jfrahm"
The 'pec is great.  They pour a nice glass of whiskey, and the food is supposed to be good too (never tried it.)

Dive-wise, the Old Curtis St. Bar is also pretty entertaining (21st and Curtis.)   The Satire Lounge on Colfax is also kinda fun.   I also like the Streets of London.  Not really a dive, they have London Pride on tap and all.

-Joel.

Ah we're on to bars now.
Acutally the food at El Chepoltepec is quite disgusting.  It's poorly done, and overly greasy Mexican food.  Great bar for Jazz, but aweful for food.
Eat there only if you're drinking on an empty stomach.

Streets of London is a great bar.
Williams is my neigborhood dive bar favorite ($2 PBRs, pool table, dart board, good jute box, etc.).
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50