Author Topic: Good places to eat  (Read 8012 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Good places to eat
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2005, 05:01:56 PM »
Quote from: "shummer"
My favorite dive is Crown Burger Plus at S. Downing and E. Wesley.

I love Dive burger joints. I like the one Colorado just south of I-25. I think it might be a Crown. Reminds me of G's and J's downtown Chicago.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

shummer

• Modded
Good places to eat
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2005, 01:59:06 PM »
Just tried a new one for us last week: Lola

I had some of the best tasting salmon there. More expensive than your typical Mexican food, but the food is atypical. I don't think I'll go back there, but it was good food. We're not into ceviche or tequila, but apparently they have the best around. Filled up really fast by 6pm on a Thursday night. Pretty swanky crowd on old South Pearl.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Good places to eat
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2005, 01:59:06 PM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Good places to eat
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2005, 02:10:40 PM »
I'm hungry
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Good places to eat
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2005, 02:15:59 PM »

I had some of the best tasting salmon there. More expensive than your typical Mexican food, but the food is atypical. I don't think I'll go back there, but it was good food. We're not into ceviche or tequila, but apparently they have the best around. Filled up really fast by 6pm on a Thursday night. Pretty swanky crowd on old South Pearl.

Awesome. I've been wanting to try Lola for a while - and I AM a fan of Tequila!! :D

They have an amazing selection on their website, food looks good too - gotta have priorities ya know. ;)

Lola is in the same restaurant group as Jax (best damn fish place I've found so far in CO) and Zolo both in Boulder - Jax has a location in downtown as well.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Good places to eat
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2005, 02:27:55 PM »
Quote from: "jfrahm"
As per the recommendation above, a friend and I tried La Guna's on Huron and 120th (just East of the Death Star) on Sunday.  It was very good!  Thanks for the suggestion.

-Joel.

YES! Laguna's is great - totally a word-of-mouth place we just happend to try one night and have been back many times since. Its the only place I've found so far that serves horchata, but I know there are others in town somewhere.

Their fish tacos are amazing - and VERY authentic.

BHase

• Modded
Good places to eat
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2005, 02:56:01 PM »

Friends of mine were pretty impressed by the guacamole at Lola; supposedly they come to your table and prepare it for you right there and then (?).  I've been meaning to try it, but haven't had a chance.

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

shummer

• Modded
Good places to eat
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2005, 03:02:56 PM »
Quote from: "BHase"
Friends of mine were pretty impressed by the guacamole at Lola; supposedly they come to your table and prepare it for you right there and then (?).  I've been meaning to try it, but haven't had a chance.

Ben

Yes, we watched a gentleman prepare several bowls for guests at the bar. He rolled around a cart and did all the work right in front of them.

jfrahm

• Modded
Good places to eat
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2005, 05:57:32 PM »
Horchata seems commonplace to me, but maybe 'cause I go to a lot of Mexican lunch counter /bakery kinda places.  It's pretty good.  I have a mix to make it at home but I have not tried it yet.

Re: Tequila, I have finally found a retailer for Maya Mezcal:

http://www.beveragewarehouse.com/search/more_info.php?item_id=5034

It's quite good.  That retailer does not appear to ship out of state though.
Ah well.  Gives me a reason to go to Mezcal on Colfax.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Good places to eat
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2005, 06:11:04 PM »
Try Aztec Sol too. Can't buy a bottle there but they probably have it in their arsenal. Next time I need to try a new or hard to find tequila that's where I'm going.

First time I had horchata was at a restaurant in Mexico City - it was served in a HUGE goblet thing and i frikkin slammed it. Then I ordered another one. Good thing it has minimal or no milk in it or I would have been severly hurting later. 8O

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Good places to eat
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2005, 01:22:00 AM »
Here's another great discovery (Charles could vouch on this one):

Domo (Colfax and Osage)
Took my mom here on Friday and I was pretty impressed.
I had driven by there a couple times before and it looks very unassuming from the outside and located in a wierd edge of a residential and industrial part of town.
The food there is country Japanese, and it's certainly a nice change from all of those popular sushi and trendy asian cuisine restaurants.
The lush Japanese garden is beautiful, but it was too windy to eat outside that night.  The dining room is very rustic with lots of old Japanese artifacts from floor to ceiling.  Soothing and exotic Japanese opera music plays on the background.  There were about 5 large tables, picnic table-style with 4 to 8 stools surrounding each one, a great place for groups.

Despite hearing that service could be extremely slow, my meal there was the complete opposite.  Before we got a third of the way through the bowl of edamame, the main courses arrived (maybe because we were there at 5:30 and restaurant was quarter full at the time).  This made for a very crowded table, all tables gets 7 small dishes of various appetizers with dinner (the very spicy chicken with cabbage and sweet pickled radishes were awesome).

Unfortunatley only two selections of sake was available from their impressive sake menu, but in Japanese tradition it was generously poured (lots of overflow) in a laquered box.

We didn't order the sushi, as we were there for the traditional Japanese home cooking.  Even the sushi was served differently -- a couple slices of specially seasoned fish served over a shallow dish of rice, no soy or wasabi are offered so that diners do not mask the true flavors of the fish and the chef's seasonings.
My favorite was the unagi don (BBQ eel on rice bowl). It had a very big piece of very fresh eel grilled with a very tasty teriyaki sauce.  The rice was nicely seasoned and sticky enough to pickup a mouthful with chopsticks (the way it should be).
The raw yellowtail and tuna bowl was nice, but the fish could be a little colder and I'm not used to eating raw fish without the bite of some wasabi.    

Prices were very reasonable considering the rather large portions.  Just ordering an entree would be just enough food as the little tapas-like appetizers and a satisfying bowl of rustic miso soup were included.
The unagi bowl was $18, which was the cheapest of the bowl menus.
Other entrees ranged from $15 to $23, and noodle dishes were $10 to $15 I believe.  This would be a great place to bring a group and share a few dishes family style.

My only major criticism would be the water that's served there -- the stainless steel cups seemed to have a rather fishy smell to them.  I suggest sticking to the sake or tea menu.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

TurboDub

• Modded
Good places to eat
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2005, 11:56:35 AM »
I LOVVVVE DOMO MMMM :D

They have awesome lunch specials too. One thing to keep in mind is that they have limited dining hours. I think for lunch they are open from 11-2 and then re-open for dinner around 4:30...not positive though.

On another note...

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but if you want the BEST Omellettes (sp?) crepes, and pancakes IMHO, go to the Original Pancake House on Belleview just east of I-25 (by Cool River)...Awesome, I mean AWESOME food and service too.

Very reasonable prices but expect to wait 20 minutes to get seated on weekends.
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Good places to eat
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2005, 12:21:57 PM »
Alan: glad you liked Domo - always good to hear an outsider opinion! :)

There are only 2 selections of sake in order to keep it fresh. The thought there is that if several bottles are open for a while the flavor will degrade, so they keep one dry selection and one sweet open. I always go for the dry. Don't worry, they are both always excellent.

And yes, lunch is a little easier on the wallet but dinner has a much broader selection of items.