Author Topic: V6 CAI? What's the logic?  (Read 860 times)

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
V6 CAI? What's the logic?
« on: April 25, 2005, 08:32:45 PM »
I'm preparing my car for the Colorado Airbox Mod, since my new grille will block the stock air intake slot, and I was wondering about those cold air intake kits from Evolution Motorsports and Hyperflow.

They seem like a lot of money for what you are getting -- basically a cone filter, some hose clamps and flaps of plastic for $250-350.
Hyperflow claims an additional 10hp from their dyno for the V6.

I'm always curious on how something that doesn't have a direct air inlet from the exterior could add more power and would let more "cold" air into the engine -- yes it has a heat shielding, but getting fast moving air directly from the outside through the front of the car would seem to be better than drawing hot air inside an enclosed engine bay.

I know most of you have the 1.8T and I don't know if the principle of the CAI would be as effective for the V6 since it doesn't have a turbo.

Right now I purchased a length of 3" flexible tubing, which I'll run from the airbox to the fog light grille where I'll attach a wider 4" tube to create a funnel effect to extract more air.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

s4josh

• Modded
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 09:05:40 PM »
About 90% of the power increase is coming directly from the less restrictive air filter.  Cone filters have about twice the surface area of the stock panel filter and use less restrictive filter medium.  

Heat shields keep almost all the radiant heat from heating the area around the air filter which helps lower the amount of heat thats radiated into the air going threw the air filter.  

Adding a better source of fresh air never hurts, but I wouldn't buy one of those kits that puts your air filter in the direct outside air flow or out in the open.  There all kinds of hazards when the air filter is out in the open or directly in the outside air flow.  Its better to just create a duct or buy a kit that ducts the air correctly to the air filter inside the engine compartment.
Josh Ver 2.0

2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE DSG
2009 VW Jetta TDI 6sp man
2006 VW MkV GTI DSG w/LC
2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI-PD
2003 VW Jetta TDI-PD
2001 Audi B5.5 S4 6sp man

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 09:05:40 PM »

BHase

• Modded
V6 CAI
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 09:45:06 PM »
I have one of the air intakes that simply sit under your hood. Mine is from Evolution Motorsports, and is the same intake as the PES air intake for the A4 2.8. There is speculation that these are also the same as the LLTek intake, but that has met some debate because of the design of the heat shield.  In any case, that's what I have. Here's a picture:

I've got no dyno proof to show you that these things really work like they should.  There was a EuroTuner test for the true cold air intakes (that actually come out under the car) on a Golf VR6 that did produce results up to about 8 horsepower gains (maybe a little more or less).  But I haven't seen any definitive proof for the 2.8 V6.  I will say that I think there is a difference, and anybody who has been in my car regularly thought there was a difference, but that's too loose a standard to really make me confident in saying something like, "My CAI really works and my Audi has a 5% HP gain throughout the range!"

Umm, and if I can say this (looks around to see if anybody will mock him)...I really like the way it sounds!

There are others who have put thermal shielding material (not the thin stuff for exhaust piping you find at Advance Auto, but real Thermotec quality shielding) around the heat shield. I'd like to do that eventually.

My Verdict: I like it, and it was worth $250.

Ben

P.S.: My favorite mod so far is the Unorthodox Racing pulley set.

EDIT: I've also been informed that the cone filter that comes with this intake "sucks" and should be replaced with something like a Ram Air IV or whatever they call those things. I haven't done that since I'm not sure what a filter has to do to be good except filter (and one would think the intake should suck...oh man, that was bad).
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay