Author Topic: Vacuum Tubes/Hoses  (Read 2065 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Vacuum Tubes/Hoses
« on: July 29, 2003, 08:37:30 PM »
When replacing tubing and hoses, how imperitave is it to keep with original diameters?

What's the rating on Nology gear?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

madigan

• Modded
Vacuum Tubes/Hoses
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2003, 02:00:23 AM »
Iíve seen a few discussions where people have upgraded the 3mm stock vacuum hoses to 6mm aftermarket hoses. Try searching on Club B5. Iím not familiar with the Nology stuff but any hose made of silicone should do the job and hold up well. Someone else will probably chime in with more input. Let us know what your up to. :D

madigan
mad wagon

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Vacuum Tubes/Hoses
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2003, 02:00:23 AM »

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
Vacuum Tubes/Hoses
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2003, 03:01:46 PM »
Definitely search on clubb5.com for more info, you should find many threads there with opinions.

I thought the stock were 3.5mm, but I could be wrong.  When I replaced all my vacuum hoses, I used 4mm hose I got at Checker.  I just used some zip ties to attach the new hoses.  I haven't had any problems and don't know how different diameter would affect performance.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Vacuum Tubes/Hoses
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 07:33:36 PM »
I discussed this with quite a few people on CB5 before I bought mine.  3.5mm is the stock diameter.  I went with 4mm.  www.hosetechiques.com was where I bought mine.  $20 shipped for 10' which was more than enough.

Either one should be fine.  If you go too big, they won't fit on the hose fittings very well.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Spec

• n00balicious
Vacuum Tubes/Hoses
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2003, 05:35:17 AM »
Quote from: "madigan"
You can definitely go larger and gain more flow. For example, Iíve seen a few discussions where people have upgraded the 3mm stock vacuum hoses to 6mm aftermarket hoses. Try searching on Club B5.

madigan

I'm going to be a bit contrary to this... vacuum hoses move a minimal amount of air and they rely upon this minimal amount of air to be rapidly responsive.

Think about volume, for a second...  the smaller amount of volume makes the system MORE responsive; as opposed to a larger amount of volume, which creates a slower, and less responsive amount of air being moved...

I can't understand why anyone would want more volume (larger hoses) and decreased sensitivity...

Bigger is not always better. IMO

Dave

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Vacuum Tubes/Hoses
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2003, 12:05:55 PM »
Quote from: "Spec"
Quote from: "madigan"
You can definitely go larger and gain more flow. For example, Iíve seen a few discussions where people have upgraded the 3mm stock vacuum hoses to 6mm aftermarket hoses. Try searching on Club B5.

madigan

I'm going to be a bit contrary to this... vacuum hoses move a minimal amount of air and they rely upon this minimal amount of air to be rapidly responsive.

Think about volume, for a second...  the smaller amount of volume makes the system MORE responsive; as opposed to a larger amount of volume, which creates a slower, and less responsive amount of air being moved...

I can't understand why anyone would want more volume (larger hoses) and decreased sensitivity...

Bigger is not always better. IMO

Dave

I'm far from an expert, but that seems like a logical point, Dave.
BTW, Dub just did my hoses for me yesterday.  I have a bit left over, so if you need some, I'll have it with me Tuesday night.  It's the same hose Dub was talking about in the above post.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Vacuum Tubes/Hoses
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2003, 07:17:15 PM »
Boom boom...I think I would agree with Dave...I'm an audio guy and it's the same as far as current goes...you pack more air into a smaller hole, it's going to search that much quicker to find a way out...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
Vacuum Tubes/Hoses
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2003, 08:31:31 PM »
yes it makes sence to me....
 i replaced mine with factory size black silicone hoses.
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!