Author Topic: Tranny Question  (Read 838 times)

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Tranny Question
« on: April 27, 2005, 12:00:28 PM »
Last night I decided to go on a back street and do a quick 0-60-0 run just for fun and to feel the new tires and brake pads.  Well I completely screwed up my 1-2 upshift and grinded pretty hard, but when I finished and went to put the car back in 1st, it wouldn't engage the gear.
I was using quite a bit of force and it wouldn't go, and when I went to put it into 2nd it took a lot of effort to get it into gear.  After shifting in and out of second a few times it went back to normal, but it still took a lot of effort for it to get back into 1st.  This morning everything feels normal again.

Now that I look back this isn't the first time this has happend, and when it did I took it to the dealer and asked them to check it.  They said averything felt fine to them.

Has anyone else had this problem before?  Does anyone have an idea of what causes it?

I'm sure the dealer didn't want to crack open the tranny just to make sure things were ok, but if I grind trying to go into second it can be nearly impossible to get it to go into first afterward.  Some how it gets back to normal, but I don't know if something internal may be bad.

Any help would be appreciated,

Kevin
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Tranny Question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 01:22:38 PM »
Well most likely the synchros got out of whack but after a while they synched back up? I dunno, but that's my hypothesis.

I recall having similar experiences with VW/Audi trannys.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Tranny Question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 01:22:38 PM »

BHase

• Modded
Synchro Problems
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 08:11:00 PM »
I had some similar experiences, although mine weren't caused by a mis-shift, but probably just age and wear on the transmission. At around 120,000 miles, about a year and a half ago, I noticed that I could not shift without grinding into second gear with any amount of speed.  I was worried, had considered replacing transmission fluids (some people have had luck getting rid of the problem by upgrading to fluids like Red Line or Royal Purple), and even considered having the transmission checked out. I knew that if the synchros for second gear had gone out (which is a very common problem amongst high mileage A4s), it would be unpleasant.

Luckily (or not), I couldn't afford either the service or the transmission fluid at the time, so I had to settle for the grinding noise. What's the lucky part in there for? After about six weeks, it went away completely and I've never heard it again.  I now have over 142,000 miles on my car and the synchros are quiet.  

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay