Author Topic: Check Engine Light after replacing air filter  (Read 2246 times)

verc

• n00balicious
Check Engine Light after replacing air filter
« on: April 27, 2005, 03:47:46 PM »
On Sunday I replaced my air filter (much more of a pain than I thought it would be) and everything ran fine.  Monday morning on my way to work I had the Engine light come on.  Andrew (gragravar) met me for lunch and used his Pro-Diag tool and checked the code.  The code that came up was

17536: Bank 1 Mixture Adaptation (Mult): system too lean

We cleared it and it ran fine the rest of the day.  Tuesday morning the light came back on again on my way to work (I know the solution is to stop going to work).  I am assuming the code is probably the same but haven't checked it again.

I think it is too much of a coincidence that I just replaced the air filter.  maybe I did something wrong...

Anyone with thoughts?
001.5 GLS 1.8T Manual APR Stage 1
Fresco Green
17" Ronal wheels

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 03:57:00 PM »
That is a common MAF error.  Did you replace with a stock air filter or did you use something liek a K&N or other oiled aftermarket filter?

Also, check to make sure you didn't damage any hoses or knock any clamps loose.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 03:57:00 PM »

verc

• n00balicious
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 04:08:12 PM »
It was a stock air filter.  I had heard some bad things about the oiled K&N filters so I just went stock.

Just looking at everything it doen't appear that I displaced any hoses.  I did have a very hard time getting the clips back on the airbox.  I'll try to take things apart again and make sure it is seated well.
001.5 GLS 1.8T Manual APR Stage 1
Fresco Green
17" Ronal wheels

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 04:21:16 PM »
Well if some dirt got in there in the change it could have possible affected the MAF. You can pull it and clean it, there should be some instructions in the information forums.

Or find someone with a known good MAF and swap it in to test.

I also know that the whole MAF situation has changed and it should no longer be $300 for a MAF if you need a new one.

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 04:53:36 PM »
MAFs still have that warranty extension for 7yrs/70k miles I believe.

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 08:29:38 PM »
Did you clean the debris screen inside the airbox when you changed the air filter? If you removed or loosened any hoses in order to open airbox make sure that you replace them and tighten the clamps. By the way if it turns out to be the MAF and is not covered under the warranty my ATW engine is running with a MAF from 2.0 and is purring like a kitten.   :lol: Much less $$$
[web]http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi/?html=learnmore.html&productID=1326[/web]