Author Topic: upgrading to Ultra High Performance Summer tire?  (Read 2733 times)

shummer

• Modded
upgrading to Ultra High Performance Summer tire?
« on: April 27, 2005, 04:50:47 PM »
I've been driving on Michelin Pilot Primacy for the past two summers. These came stock on the 17" Audi Sport wheels. While searching TireRack.com, I noticed that these are categorized as Grand Touring Summer tires. Coming from the stock Continental ContiTouringContact CH95, I thought the Primacys were great. Now, I figure I could pick almost any UHP summer tire and it would be better! I'm thinking of trying out the Avon Tech M500 at $105/ea. According to TireRack, I'll sacrifice a little steering response for better ride comfort and less noise. I'm kind of leery ordering on-line because of not having a local shop that stock the Avon tires.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 05:06:07 PM »
Tire Source in Boulder will honor Tire Rack tires, and if you want, they will order them in for you and match price, and cover warranty.  they have always done that.  So, order away, or if you are more comfortable, have Tire Source order them, price is pretty much the same, but you will have to go to boulder for mounting and warranty issues.

I have gotten several sets of tires from them, great prices, and they are all over performance vehicles, so they will treat you right.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 05:06:07 PM »

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 05:30:15 PM »
Only one store location? That's what I want to avoid if I have issues. I called up Discount Tire and they are checking on pricing for the Avon M500. If nobody wants to do the Avon locally, I might splurge and get the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW (new tread design). Any thoughts on these guys?

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 05:33:41 PM »
Quote from: "shummer"
Only one store location? That's what I want to avoid if I have issues. I called up Discount Tire and they are checking on pricing for the Avon M500. If nobody wants to do the Avon locally, I might splurge and get the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW (new tread design). Any thoughts on these guys?

Absolutely love mine!  Got them through Performance Wheel and Tire over on Santa Fe and Oxford.

Ian
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 05:38:10 PM »
Andrew, I've heard great things about the KDWs, although I haven't owned them....yet.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

KevB

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 05:46:26 PM »
I've got the Avon Tech M500 on my Gti, size 225/45/17.  They are gerat tires, a ton better than my stock Michelins.  They are nice and quite for daily driving and I've had no problems at all.  I haven't had a chance to get much spirtied driving on them, but just around town I can tell a noticeable difference in grip.  Anthing from accelerating hard, cornering, braking.  Much more consistant than the Micheleins they replaced.

I just went to Discount Tire and asked if they could get them and match Tirerack's price and they said sure.  They were suppose to take 10 days to get here, but they arrived in 3.  They take a little longer to get because they have to actually buy them from Tirerack.

I really like them, and we'll see how they perform at the track come May.

Kevin
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 05:47:19 PM »
I think the only downfall w/ the KDWs are they are noisy. Any comments Ian? I'm coming from the Primacy tires which I think are noisy (along w/ others at Tire Rack.)

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 05:51:22 PM »
Kevin,

Which Discount Tire did you go to? I'm still waiting to hear from the one closest to me on S. Colorado Blvd.

KevB

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 06:07:08 PM »
I went to the one off Evans just west of Monaco.  I forgot to mention they may ask for a deposit since it's not a tire that they normally stock, I had to give them $20 when I went in to order them.

Kevin
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 06:44:47 PM »
Kevin,

Did you talk to anyone in particular there? That store location is close to me also.

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 06:52:15 PM »
The Discount Tire at 300 W Hampden (aproximately Hampden & Broadway) treated me right when i called them on their bad pricing for my Kumho MX's. One of the guys there, Rob Rector is a VW GTI owner. They ended up beating TireRack's sale price for my tires when you factor in mounting, balancing, stems, shipping, road hazzard and tax.
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

KevB

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 07:45:37 PM »
I can't remember who I talked to, but if you go in and let them know what you want and ask them to match a price they'll work with you.  Every Discount Tire I've been to has treated me well, I've bought 4 sets of tires from them.  If you do your homework there's no way they'll be able to screw you on a price since they'll match it.

Kevin
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 07:55:52 PM »
Quote from: "shummer"
I think the only downfall w/ the KDWs are they are noisy. Any comments Ian? I'm coming from the Primacy tires which I think are noisy (along w/ others at Tire Rack.)

They are noisier, but I couldn't reference for you how much noisier.  I tend to always drive with the stereo on, and fairly loud.  I also spent a lot of time driving my Toy with 35" BFG M/Ts, which just howl (I happen to like the noise).  If you'd like, we can meet up somewhere and go for a ride.  You can drive mine, that way you can get a feel for how they handle, how they transmit road feel, and how they sound.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

BHase

• Modded
BFGoodrich
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 08:02:35 PM »
I also have the KDW tires with that tread design. I've had mine on for about two months now, and I love them.  Living in St. Louis, I've been exposed to many rainy days, lots of bad streets with bad paving, also some nice twisty roads out in the backcountry.

In regards to the noise factor: The tires, as stated on many websites give off some noise from maybe 30-50 MPH. I don't think it is that bad. My previous tires were Falken GRB FK-451's, and though they were quieter, I don't think there is that much of a difference.

In regards to the performance: I think they perform superbly.  I have taken on "more capable cars" (query whether they were manned by more capable drivers) in some nice twisty roads out in the Ozarks, and I had absolutely no problem with losing traction or the like. They didn't even squeal.

As far as the wet weather is concerned, I consider these superior to my previous Falkens.

I'd recommend these tires, as long as you're willing to spend about $600 for the set.

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 08:49:06 PM »
I just placed my order for the Avon Tech M500. Discount Tire is purchasing them and then doing the install. My decision is based solely on the Tire Rack reviews.

We're talking about a UHP tire, but yet I'm concerned about noise and comfort first and traction second. 95% of my driving is commuting to work and 5% is track time/mountain drives/etc. On paper, this tire seems like a GT tire labeled as an UHP tire. Looking at the GT tires, I'd have to get a Turanza LS-Z at $200/ea!

I am confident these tires will serve me well 95% of the time. I'm hoping these tires are satisfactory during the other 5% of track time.

KevB

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2005, 10:14:52 PM »
They are also my daily driven as well.  They are quiet, even quieter than the stock Michelins when they were brand new.

I hope you like them, I know I'm satisfied with my purchase.

Kevin
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

scott

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2005, 11:49:01 PM »
I was gonna suggest the Bridgestone Potenza RE-750's, but I guess I am too late! I use thos as my autocross tires and they are very nice, plus they have a decently high treadwear rating for a high performance tire (340), and they are AA rated for wet/ dry traction.

Avon makes very good stuff too, so I hope you like them!

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2005, 11:31:19 AM »
The only summer I have owned are the Max Performance variety, and for now will own, are the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's.  I just put my summer OZ 18" wheels and the Goodyear’s back on a couple days ago, and it absolutely reminded me why I love those tires so much.  There is a reason they are ranked so highly on TireRack.com The steering response is amazing, the braking ability is even better, and in wet conditions you will be shocked that the laws of physics seem to not apply in your case.  You pay for it, but the tread wear has been very good, and I am willing to spend a little more to get this type of performance.  For me trading off a slight bit of handling as compared to the Bridgestone S-03 or possibly the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, is worth all the gains you will experience when it is wet.  I know we don't get a ton of rain here in Colorado, but I also don't drive around corners pushing max g's all the time.   For me, nothing is more frightening than feeling your car floating on top of a layer of water.  With the Goodyear’s, this just doesn't happen unless you drive through very deep water, at very high speed.  I am a huge advocate of these tires, and will probably be buying a set for the M3 here in the next few weeks.

The bottom line, the Goodyear's are very quiet, wear well, and may just keep you out of trouble on a wet road.  They help you to control your car better, they grip the road like rubber should, and I think the even out perform my Falken Azenis on the dry pavement in all categories, except heat resistance as they will not survive any serious tracking.  They are a great value in my mind.
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

s4josh

• Modded
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2005, 12:56:34 PM »
I also have been using the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's for the last two summers and I can tell you they handle better then the Michelin Pilot Sports that were stock on my S4, they are also much quieter, don't follow the ruts in the road like the Sports do, and have a advantage in the rain.

The GS-D3's are a bit pricey, but are a excelent summer tire.  They are rated #2 by tirerack.com.  I am going to try the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 next, I think or buy another set of GS-D3's.  Pilot Sport PS2 are currently rated #1 by tirerack.com, but they only have 700,000 miles reported where the GS-D3's have ten times the reported miles at 7 million.

Edit:  BTW the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's are actually manufactured in Germany :D
Josh Ver 2.0

2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE DSG
2009 VW Jetta TDI 6sp man
2006 VW MkV GTI DSG w/LC
2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI-PD
2003 VW Jetta TDI-PD
2001 Audi B5.5 S4 6sp man

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Toyo's...
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2005, 01:55:05 AM »
I guess i am a Toyo guy. Other than for a set of Yoko ES 100's (sold to Robd), set of Avon ZZ-1's (ruined at watkins glen) and a set of S-03's (currently on wifes car) i keep buying the Toyo T1-S's.. I just bought another set 2 weeks ago from Pete up at TireSource. I think this is 6 sets of T1-S's and they are affordable and last pretty well.

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2005, 01:59:57 AM »
I've been driving around on the Falken Azenis Sport RT-215 for the last few weeks:
and I have to tell you that I am quite impressed with them. The grip is awesome and it better be for the 200 wear rating that they have. The stiff sidewall gives great feedback and roadfeel. I do not review noise because that is not a performance characeristic I am concerned with. They do not roll under and squeel during hard cornering. There is however a negative side effect to the stiff sidewalls, the car does not track well in a straight line and it feels loose, but I have learned to live with it. I have set them at 38 psi, so that is probably a factor as well.
You may also want to look into the new Azenis Sport RT-615:

depending on the sizes you need. Prices on both of these seem reasonable and much lower than comparable high-performance summer tires. I got mine from Meadow Creek Tire for around $100 per corner @ 205/55/16