Author Topic: what else is happening for the 3rd Annual RMCB5 GTG?  (Read 3813 times)

shummer

• Modded
what else is happening for the 3rd Annual RMCB5 GTG?
« on: May 12, 2005, 04:51:57 PM »
Pat talks about Memorial Day weekend (Fri-Sun) being the official 3rd annual RMCB5 GTG w/ the track day being the main event on Saturday. What else is going on? Was there a thread I missed? Are there other drives planned for Sunday or even Monday? I actually won't be in town that weekend, but I have a friend that cannot make the track event, but would be interested in other drives.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 04:58:59 PM »
No one has set anything up for the other days.  I'd like to see something happen, but no one has stepped up yet.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 04:58:59 PM »

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 05:08:08 PM »
What happened last year? Wasn't there a long day drive w/ breakfast burritos and then an evening gtg downtown? Dont' recall exactly because I didn't attend it.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 05:16:11 PM »
Quote from: "DenverPat"
No one has set anything up for the other days.  I'd like to see something happen, but no one has stepped up yet.

Sorry Pat, but you're wrong. I did step up, but received no enthusiasm, a couple of suggestions and no other feedback. Both threads just died.

We had everything ironed out and dedicated discussion threads by this point last year. There were a couple BBQ's and two drives and a last day GTG at Blake Street Tavern. I'm really dissapointed in the lack of enthusiasm surrounding it this year evidenced by the very small number of RMCB5er's at track day.
I have family in town and we've already made other plans.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 05:21:50 PM »
I just found JR's thread that died.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 05:23:35 PM »
Bummer.  Well, thanks for the effort JR.  I'm surprised at the lack of participation in track day, too.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 05:27:03 PM »
Yup, there's one other thread around somewhere too, but other than that...

I know it was a few months back but other than your post here, nobody's even brought it up since.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 05:30:02 PM »
Bummer.  Well, thanks for the effort JR.  I'm surprised at the lack of participation in track day, too.

Yeah, I hear ya. The club's changing though and people are moving on so you gotta kinda roll with it. If I didn't have my parents and sister in town, I'd definately be doing track day.

I'm already planning on doing most of my driving this year with only a couple of buddies or by myself :roll:  :D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 05:42:57 PM »
I am about at the end of my limits on people trying to point fingers about things not getting done.  Getting things done does not mean it has to be posted in a thread.

This is a club and a community. There are different ways to be involved, Pat wanted us to have a track day, stepped up and took over the task and has put it together nicely.

There were complaints that there was nothing else planned, I asked, that folks step up since I have no time to work on anything.  Instead all i read and get PMs about is that there is nothing planned or that no one is enthusiastic.

If you want something to happen, sometimes you have to take control and make it happen.  Not sit back and wait for someone to tell you what to do.

I apologize for being curt, but making comments about people not being enthusiastic or making plans for everyone is not fair when the same can be said about those that are pointing fingers.

Here is one thread on a request to get things going:

http://www.rmcb5.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2362

As I stated before, this is a club community and it takes an entire community to keep things going.  Participation by the community is expected to be able to get events like these going. If Pat would have given up because of lack of enthusiasm then the track day would have been cancelled. Instead he forged ahead and pushed to get more people signed up.

There has been plenty of time for community involvement for other events for this weekend.  We can always plan on doing something late summer.

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 05:57:19 PM »
No worries guys. I was just asking. Not blaming anybody for not planning other things. In fact, you all can blame me for going out of town, missing the track day, and not planning anything because I'm unenthusiastic.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 06:11:04 PM »
Feel free to blame me. I do believe I'm the one that started this whole mess. I PM'd Jay just to ask if he noticed the same thing. Jay, I apologize for causing turbulence. I'm sorry. But I do the right to say what I feel? Maybe there's more going on than I'm aware of.

I take the blame for letting the thread die. However, my family was coming in and I wasn't interested in putting something together and bringing my parents along if turnout was looking like it was going to be a couple people when I'm sure that even though they would enjoy it, there might be other things that they'd rather do.

I applaude Pat for sticking through with it. I don't know that I'd be willing to front the cash to rent a track if I didn't have enough participants signed up, but again, I'm not Pat. He's the man. But he did reach out into other car clubs to get attendance up.

This is a community and it does take everyone to make things happen, but everyone isn't around and I just pointed it out. My bad. Again, I apologize. Wasn't wanting to stir anything up.

BTW: Jay, did you read the whole thread? Andrew already brought that thread up that I was working on.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 06:13:39 PM »
Can we all have a virtual group hug now?   I love you guys. :wink:
-Chuck Patterson

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 06:18:00 PM »
:lol: :beericon:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 10:27:30 PM »
Everyone is free to speak their mind (to an extent), but it is important to consider what you are saying when you do it.

So from what I read and receive as PMs is that folks are unhappy that things are not planned.  Looking back, when things were planned, those people are still here,  but times do change and people tend to have other obligations.

Having an expectation that "someone else will do it" does nothing more than set people up for dissappointment.

If there was no enthusiasm would we still have an average of 5 signups per week?  Would we continue to get writeups and other informational posts? (rhetorical questions)

This isn't to single anyone out, I have received enough messages from various people about similar complaints/concerns.

However, I am not sure who made the decision that I am the end all/do all for everything RMCB5. I am just a part of this community like every other person that signed up on this site.  We are all here because of our shared ideals, and passion for B5s and about anything else with 4 (or 2) wheels.

Other than administering the site my role in this club community is no different than the newest member.  Think of RMCB5 as a car, a car is made up of many moving parts which all have to work together to get from point a to point b.  If those parts start relying on others to make this happen there will be a failure somewhere and the car wont make it.

If all the parts are maintained, new ones added, old ones replaced, this car will keep on running strong and continue to get us where we want to go.

In the end I feel comments about lack of enthusiasm or people giving up on the club are unfounded and uncalled for. However at the same time I know people care and want this car to continue to perform and to make it perform better than before.

So step back, take a look around and realize that this is a community and there are a few people that have put in a lot of time and energy into keeping this car rolling.  The more people that get involved, the better it will run.

Commence group hug

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2005, 07:58:20 AM »
well, I for one am spending Sunday watching the Indy 500.  I rarely get a weekend off, and I got the entire weekend off, so I am gonna spend the day watching one of my all time favorite races.  Not the best race by far, but for me, I have always wanted to go, and until I can, I will just resign to watching it on TV.  For the past 7 years, I have had to work, and this year, I get to see it while at home!!!

as for the other stuff, I doubt I will attend much more than Track Day for personal reasons, not anything to do with the club, but sometimes things happen that need other personal attention.   Right now, I am in that situation, my focus has to be somewhere else.

I think this is just a hard weekend for everyone to spend it doing car stuff with their families around, holiday weekend and all.  Finger pointing is silly, and pointless, like Jay has said.

So, after a group hug with Pat....well, on second thought  :wink: ...................I say that if we can't do much more than track day, that is cool....as we always seem to have other get togethers throughout the year that are easier to make time for.  This weekend is just a tough one for some folks.

So, in my eyes, it is all good.

[group hug] :lol:  8)  :lol:  8)  :P  8)  :lol:  8)  :lol: [/group hug]

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2005, 12:48:10 PM »
Didn't know this thing was happening so soon, and on Memorial weekend.

Unfortunately, I will be in San Diego for part of that week and won't be back Sunday night.  I'll probably be recovering from the bachelor party craziness, so I'll probably take it easy on Monday.

We could plan for a big GTG later in the summer.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2005, 12:54:07 PM »
I'm sorry there is some trouble getting some activities going (or even planned) these days.  I tell you, I think this is a pervasive problem nowadays.  Even good friends of mine do not seem to want to commit to an activity until the last minute, as if they are waiting for a better offer or just do not know if they will feel like doing it.  It makes it very hard to plan something, as you have no idea if anyone will show up.

Every few weeks we try to get a poker game going and naturally until we have at least six confirmed players (hopefully more) we do not know if there is a game.  We end up with four or five people on the hook for a Saturday night and do not know if we are playing until hours before because some people are hoping the CU Women's Lacrosse team is going to show up on their doorstep with a Slip-N-Slide and a keg  (and honestly it's pretty unrealistic to expect that to happen twice.)

I think it's pretty rude and disrespectful.  Maybe that's old-fashioned and nowadays with cell phones and IMs people expect to just go to spontaneous gatherings.  I could get used to that but then you cannot do anything particularly special that requires planning or preperation (like reserving a table at a restaurant or buying a roast.)  I can only plan stuff that is not a disaster if no one shows up, scaleable stuff like drop-in BBQ's or casual wrenching days.  

Sadly during this year's GTG/Track Day  I'll be in Sweden. Hopefully I will be around next year though, and maybe we can have the GTG on a weekend with less family-type commitments and travel to compete with.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2005, 01:06:34 PM »
It seems to me like many people made plans elsewhere because it is Memorial Day weekend.  I questioned this when I set the date back in February.  Here are some things I learned from planning the previous years' track days:
1.  Plan it on a three day weekend.  People from out of town requested this for travel reasons.  People that live here agreed so they could have a day of rest.
2.  Plan it earlier in the year, to avoid 110 degree track temps
3.  Plan it far enough in advance for people to get organized
4.  Plan it so it doesn't conflict with school (for those who have kids)
5.  Make it at SCR and not Pueblo so more people in Denver would go
I took feedback from previous years' events and used it to plan this event.  There will always be conflicts with some people, but I thought this would be the ideal time to hold the event.  Really what it comes down to is people's priorities.  The fact that we got the track on a Saturday this time of year is amazing in and of itself.
-Chuck Patterson

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2005, 01:17:49 PM »
It seems to me like many people made plans elsewhere because it is Memorial Day weekend.  I questioned this when I set the date back in February.  Here are some things I learned from planning the previous years' track days:
1.  Plan it on a three day weekend.  People from out of town requested this for travel reasons.  People that live here agreed so they could have a day of rest.
2.  Plan it earlier in the year, to avoid 110 degree track temps
3.  Plan it far enough in advance for people to get organized
4.  Plan it so it doesn't conflict with school (for those who have kids)
5.  Make it at SCR and not Pueblo so more people in Denver would go
I took feedback from previous years' events and used it to plan this event.  There will always be conflicts with some people, but I thought this would be the ideal time to hold the event.  Really what it comes down to is people's priorities.  The fact that we got the track on a Saturday this time of year is amazing in and of itself.

I am on board with all 5 of those!  I for one am happy with the track day planning.  as for other GTG events that weekend.  I am too overwhelmed with landscaping and dealing with a 6 week old kid to justify being away from home for much more time.  Now then, if we want to have a landscaping party as part of the GTG, I'll gladly organize that!   :P
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2005, 01:50:02 PM »
I'm happy with the planning criteria as well...even #4, "Plan it so it doesn't conflict with school (for those who have kids)", because I don't have kids but it still effects me! A couple of weeks earlier and I wouldn't have been able to make it.

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2005, 06:40:48 PM »
I was involved in the planning of our RMCB5 annual event last year, and I am glad I participated.  It did take some commitment, action, and I do remember that several of us all got together in person to actually work out the details, and that is why everything happened.  I do think that Memorial Weekend is a bad idea, and for that reason I think the response has been low.  I know that personally I have been focusing on my business and work activates, and have not had much time to participate in the club events.  One question I do have is why can't we plan a summer GTG event, not including a track day?  It was fun having everything in one weekend, but a little overwhelming too.  I am volunteering myself to help plan such an event, because I think this club has something unique... a dedicated group of great people.  Letís keep that going.  

Here is some personal information that I think will benefit the group.  When I stumbled onto RMCB5 about over a year ago, it was a very difficult time in my life.  If it wasn't for this club, I am not sure where I would be today, and I also met a great friend that has been a true blessing in my life.  That is what the club means to me, the people here are friends who happen to share a passion that I share.  So while I too recognize that the level of participation has been lacking in many degrees, I think that we all have our reasons, and its not that we don't care or have lost interest.  I never thought that an online car forum could be a life changing experience, but it has been for me.  So letís put something together as a group of friends, and make sure that everyone who wants to be involved is involved.

My thoughts on the subject.
Jason
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2005, 06:44:21 PM »
Dub and I have discussed having the remainder of the Nat GTG be later this summer when we can shedule at least a day or a weekend of avtivities.

I am still swamped with the home buying, scout rebuilding and wedding planning and school but as always will do whatever I can to help facilitate plans.

I know next year will be adifferent satory for me.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2005, 03:49:38 PM »
Yes, I am painfully aware that I have been missing quite a bit lately, a fact I truly regret.

I have been working a lot and putting in extra hours and doing a lot of work around the house and taking care of Ethan have all added up to really limit my free time.  In fact, I have almost none.

Also, see THIS late breaking item...
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2005, 05:36:53 PM »
sorry to hear that this annual GTG will be a rather small gathering.

I'll be in San Diego these next 4 days, but will be around Sunday night and all of Monday.  I would like to do something -- it could be as simple as having dinner and/or drinks at a restaurant (outdoor patio preferred) or someone's pad (could be even mine).
Even finding a dog sitter for Yuki was a bit of a search for this weekend.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50