Author Topic: Rear Wheel Bearing time (again)  (Read 2544 times)

BHase

• Modded
Rear Wheel Bearing time (again)
« on: May 13, 2005, 02:22:58 AM »
Looks like my favorite time of the year: wheel bearing replacement time, and this time the last of the original four is going to be replaced: rear driver's side.  

This time it is going to be done right, so naturally, I'm asking for opinions so I can be as thrifty as possible.  I've had the previous three done at three different locations, each time paying somewhere in the neighborhood of $300.  I've been told that almost $200 is for the cost of the part, but very clearly I see that BLAUParts (http://www.blauparts.com) sells the rear wheel bearing kit for just over $50!  But then, if I brought my own parts into most places, i.e. Midas or Brakes Plus, the service advisor would most likely faint before being able to tell me that they "don't install customer supplied parts."

Anybody have experience with a place that will do parts + labor for a reasonable amount under $300?  If not, I assume I'll just be bringing the BLAUparts parts to Autoworks.  But living up around Hampden & Sheridan, that is still a little inconvenient for me...

Any advice is appreciated! My wheel bearing decided since track day is coming up, it just couldn't hold on any longer. Piece of ****.

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 02:26:11 AM »
I'd check with Joel out at RS Motorsports...

Ian
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 02:26:11 AM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 10:29:25 AM »
Ben, can you into the symptoms of the outage of a wheel bearing?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 01:56:08 PM »
Symptoms? Well, mostly it is just the noise.  That's the way I've been able to tell that the previous wheel bearings have gone out.  This last one has been sort of unique.

If you hear a droning noise coming from any of the four corners of your car it is generally the wheel bearing going out.  This is now the fourth time this has happened (this is the last to be replaced), and I've gotten pretty good at picking it out.  Not that it is hard to pick out. From 50-65 MPH, when it is loudest, my exhaust sounds like it has found a cool new note. Then you realize it is just the wheel bearing.

I don't know exactly how dangerous it is to keep driving around with a failing wheel bearing. It sounds like it should be dangerous. I will admit, when the first one went and I didn't know what it was that was making noise, I drove the car for probably about a month before replacing the bearing.

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 03:31:23 PM »
My problem's different. Just a slight clunking/popping when I stop and start.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 03:48:53 PM »
Quote from: "jayryan"

sub frame bolts tight enough?  one of the audi world allroad guys had a similar issue and tightening the subframe bolts was the solution.

the other indicator of bad wheel bearings is a cupping wear pattern on the tires - similar to being out of alignment.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 05:01:53 PM »
Quote from: "gragravar"
Quote from: "jayryan"

sub frame bolts tight enough?  one of the audi world allroad guys had a similar issue and tightening the subframe bolts was the solution.

the other indicator of bad wheel bearings is a cupping wear pattern on the tires - similar to being out of alignment.

Hmm...C-bar is connected to the subframe, c-bar was hit by manhole cover and bent subframe brackets and LTB about 45deg. It's ugly. Sounds like it's coming from the wheel though.

Enough of a threadjack. Ben, do a write-up on this one for us all :D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

BHase

• Modded
Git 'r done!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 02:42:51 PM »
So I called up Autoworks Colorado, and they quoted me $260. That's 2 hours of labor @ $85 / hour plus the cost of the part. I've decided to go for that since I don't think I've ever paid much less.  If I were to buy the BLAUParts bearing kit it would be $53 + shipping, and I'm guessing I could only save something like $25-$30.  This way, it gets done right away.

Not much really to write up about it. I know that when the second bearing was failing, I looked into replacing it myself.  It doesn't seem too bad if you can afford a hub puller, and those cost about $400.  With all the tools and effort required, I think I'll just keep replacing the wheel bearings.

Ben

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 10:11:24 PM »
Quote from: "BHase"

I don't know exactly how dangerous it is to keep driving around with a failing wheel bearing. It sounds like it should be dangerous. I will admit, when the first one went and I didn't know what it was that was making noise, I drove the car for probably about a month before replacing the bearing.

Ben

A friend of mine told drove a looong time on a bad wheel bearing. He was pretty broke at the time. Finally the noise got so bad he stopped at local mechanic to have it looked at. When they raised the car up on the lift, the wheel fell off the car right in front of them.  8O So i guess it's not something you should ignore for too long...
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT