Author Topic: Painting bumper  (Read 1935 times)

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Painting bumper
« on: May 03, 2005, 01:13:00 AM »
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has painted the front and rear valances to match the rest of the car?

What kind of paint works best?  And what companies make a paint to match my factory color?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

Eric

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.setuning.com
Painting bumper
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 03:25:28 AM »
i think you have to sand down the surface so that it is smooth...... thats about all i can give ya

E

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Painting bumper
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 03:25:28 AM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Painting bumper
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 10:41:02 AM »
Winston and I've been talking about it forever. If you have used any products to enhance the shine, the prep work is extensive. Lots of sanding and prepping. It can be done though.
You also need to make sure you use a flex agent in the paint to prevent unecessary cracking/chipping/flaking. Neiter of us have done it yet, but have been talking about it for about a year now :roll:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Painting bumper
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 11:45:26 AM »
As for matching paint, check out paintscratch.com.  You can give them your VIN and they will match the paint.

You can aslo send in a paint chip to get a even better color match.  However, if you are just doing the lowers and such it's probably not that big of a deal on the perfect match (fading).

huevon

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
Painting bumper
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 01:38:25 PM »
to exactly match your paint call the dealership and ask for a spraypaint can. it will come with a can of clearcoat. the cost is @$12 and its about 5 oz.  I know you will need a couple of cans but the bumper will be an exact match.  just my .02

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Painting bumper
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 01:49:47 PM »
Both coloradoB5 and I have used Paintscratch.com and they have been a perfect match.  Plus you can get different qauntities and they will add the flex agent for painting plastic parts.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Painting bumper
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 01:57:24 PM »
Well, I just head to autozone 'cause any color will work for me. The stronger the fume, the better 8)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Painting bumper
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 04:35:04 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
Both coloradoB5 and I have used Paintscratch.com and they have been a perfect match.  Plus you can get different qauntities and they will add the flex agent for painting plastic parts.

True.  The paint was great.  It's easy too.  The hard part is getting the clearcoat to look good.  Usually it looks like orange peel texture, so the tough part is getting that to look good.  

Still working on that, but the flex additive is the key to ordering from paintscratch.com.  For lower panels, the clearcoat issue is probably not that big a deal.  Also, you could probably do all of the work except the cleacoat and take it to a pro for that and that would be a lot cheaper.  

Dub
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Painting bumper
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 09:40:43 PM »
Ditto on Paintscratch, I bought the spraypaint and clearcoat cans from them (flex agent added) and was satisfied with the color match.

I used a 300 and 600 grit sandpaper to dull the surface and inbetween coats (a soft terry cloth dampened with rubbing alcohol makes an excellent tack cloth for wiping off all the dust after sanding).  I started with one coat of automotive primer, two to three coats of paint and three coats of clearcoat.
I almost used an entire can of paint for my grille.

I allowed the paint to cure for two days I applied two applications of Einzett Paint Polish with my Porter Cable buffer, a coat of Zymol carnuba wax, and finished it off with the Klasse All-in-One and Sealant Glaze.  This will smooth out any clearcoat imperfections and dust specks and protect the paint from the elements.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Painting bumper
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 10:35:45 AM »
Quote from: "aowhaus"
Ditto on Paintscratch, I bought the spraypaint and clearcoat cans from them (flex agent added) and was satisfied with the color match.

I used a 300 and 600 grit sandpaper to dull the surface and inbetween coats (a soft terry cloth dampened with rubbing alcohol makes an excellent tack cloth for wiping off all the dust after sanding).  I started with one coat of automotive primer, two to three coats of paint and three coats of clearcoat.
I almost used an entire can of paint for my grille.

I allowed the paint to cure for two days I applied two applications of Einzett Paint Polish with my Porter Cable buffer, a coat of Zymol carnuba wax, and finished it off with the Klasse All-in-One and Sealant Glaze.  This will smooth out any clearcoat imperfections and dust specks and protect the paint from the elements.

Wow Alan, I'm impressed. I'm very tempted to give it a whirl seeing as how I'm going to be gone for over a week in July so I wouldn't have to drive it while it was curing. BUT, I've seen how bad my painting skills are :roll:

BUT, summer is here and I have the ability to leave my car in the garage and drive my wife's car since she doesn't have to work. I may see how well I fair on my sides first. My rear bumper's shot to hell though, so maybe I should try it with that first...I don't know.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner