Author Topic: where can I get some green beans?  (Read 1529 times)

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
where can I get some green beans?
« on: May 11, 2005, 03:54:20 PM »
Coffee beans that is....

I have heard that one can roast their own beans if they are in posession of an old air popcorn popper, which I happen to have. I was thinking about giving this a try but would rather go buy some green beans somewhere local than order online for now - I know there are places online to get them but I just want a small batch and shipping was going to cost me as much as the beans!
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 11:36:36 AM »
The Brewing Market in Boulder roasts their own, therefore they must have green beans.  There is one by McGuckins Hardware... one by Conor ONeils I think?  There are a couple other coffee roasters in the area also, two in N Boulder and one up near Ward or something.  They have a special 'Storm Roasted' coffee I heard about, only roasted during bad weather.  I took this to mean the weather was bad enough to make working a pretty good option, but they wanted some extra bucks for the effort.  So they put their hackey sacs and mountain unicycles away and roast coffee when it rains.

Anyway the big roasters would probably set you up with some beans for beer money since you are just trying it out.  Brewing Market might want to charge you a bit more.

Boulder Coffee Company
5403 Western Av
Boulder,  CO 80301 - 2755
(303) 449-5313

Silver Canyon Coffee Company
5601 Broadway
Boulder,  CO 80302 - 9301
(303) 449-2243

If worst comes to worst you could ask Whole Foods or Wild Oats.
Let us know how it goes.
-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 11:36:36 AM »

-XLR8-

• n00balicious
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 12:50:11 PM »
I hit up some of the middle eastern markets for green beans.  I would say try the one on Colorado, it's 2254 S. Colorado Blvd.  I've bought some pretty good ethiopian beans in there.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 02:43:08 PM »
Thanks - I have some places to check out now. I've had some Ethiopian coffee before and it was really good.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 02:47:11 AM »
Success!

I happened to ask at a coffee shop that sells silver canyon coffee and they just ordered a pound for me. I found out that the green beans will keep for about a year, but once roasted they should be used within 7-10 days or so.

My first roasting went well, but there were a couple surprises I wasn't quite ready for. First, there is this "chaff" stuff which is the dried up skin of the beans. As they are roasting in the air popper, this stuff flies out everywhere - a little messy but easy to clean up afterwards. Second, its smokey. I didn't notice until I turned off the popper, then I looked around and the house was a bit foggy.... 8O So next time I'll do it outside or something.

After smoking up the house and getting little pieces of coffee skin everywhere I had a nice batch of (very frikkin hot) fresh roasted coffee beans. The resulting pot of coffee was quite tasty!

Here is a page which describes the process and equipment.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 04:06:08 AM »
You know, the very first section of that article stated:

"Roasting coffee is quite simply put, a messy venture. In the roasting process, pieces of green coffee called chaff will blow off as well as producing a great amount of smoke."

Sorry, just had to poke...I may have to try this.  I really love coffee, but the way "coffee" houses like Starbucks have butchered the art, I've begun to stick pretty much to Vanilla Coke.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 04:08:08 AM »
haha - yeah I happened to find that article after I roasted the beans today.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Re: where can I get some green beans?
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 12:43:21 PM »
Quote from: "hotani"
Coffee beans that is....

I have heard that one can roast their own beans if they are in posession of an old air popcorn popper, which I happen to have. I was thinking about giving this a try but would rather go buy some green beans somewhere local than order online for now - I know there are places online to get them but I just want a small batch and shipping was going to cost me as much as the beans!

I get regular shipments of roasted beans from this guy in Indonesia. He also offers green beans of different types if you want also.  He makes a killer espresso roast that puts Starbucks to shame! (well it doesn't take much..)

Merdeka Coffee

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 02:56:51 AM »
(crappy joke) -> When you get done with the chaff, load it up in your VW/Audi as countermeasures.

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay