Author Topic: Squishy Brakes  (Read 4057 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Squishy Brakes
« on: August 13, 2003, 05:20:04 PM »
So I just put some Mintex Reds on my car...and it's really squishy...the same squishyness as before I suspect. Is this inherent until there's a caliper/rotor upgrade or my install?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Squishy Brakes
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 05:34:03 PM »
did you flush your brake fluid?  is the fluid dirty?  do you need to bleed them?  Air pockets in brake lines can make them feel squishy, at least that is what I think can happen.

Outside of that, not really sure what could be making them squishy...didn't know that pads can feel that different at the peddal....

8)

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Squishy Brakes
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 05:34:03 PM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Squishy Brakes
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2003, 05:44:00 PM »
I didn't flush them and I probably need to bleed them...I don't know how to do either of those..so maybe the next Garage Day or something...I don't like or want squishy brakes...oh well.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Squishy Brakes
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 06:05:57 PM »
JR...I am at a loss as well on how to do either of those, but I do know that the quality and cleanliness of your brake fluid can make a considerable difference.  I do have a Bently Manual, maybe there is info in there that is helpful.  Are you coming up for the BBQ on Saturday, I could lend it to you if you want.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Squishy Brakes
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 07:54:28 PM »
I know exactly how to bleed the brakes, I have the tools too.  If you want I would be happy to have a private GTG and show you.  Let me know.  You do not wan tot drive too long with brakes like that, it will cause odd wear in the pads and may cause you to “butt-kiss” the dude in front of you at a red light. :evil:
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Squishy Brakes
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2003, 08:21:07 PM »
Maybe you guys can do this at Jay's garage day sunday...it would be good to meet kraut-sled, although, I'm not sure if I will be able to make it...I'll be buried in chores for the next few weeks to get ready for the BBQ on the 7th...
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

madigan

• Modded
Squishy Brakes
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 08:30:55 PM »
Yeah, you guys should do the brake work at Jay's on Sunday. It will be fun to have a few different projects going on.

Mark
mad wagon

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Squishy Brakes
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2003, 08:37:39 PM »
Yeah, come on by, 12:30ish.  It'll take us a few hours to do the springs, but along with a big garage we have a big driveway.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
Squishy Brakes
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2003, 08:48:53 PM »
I will do my best to be there.  I have my son that week, but I can always have him help, he loves Wrenching.
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Squishy Brakes
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2003, 09:07:25 PM »
If you'd like to come by send me a PM and I'll send you my address and phone number.  Hope you can make it, but I understand that spending time with your son takes precedent ;).

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Squishy Brakes
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2003, 02:25:34 AM »
Can I add another project to our list?  My engine light came on tonight and I got the "Emissions Workshop" error on my display.  I did a search on ClubB5 and the majority of threads point to vacuum hoses.  Can I possibly have someone with a VAG-COM confirm this or at least help me with my hoses?  I am wondering if this is in line with the idle engine surging that has been happening lately.  Any thoughts or offers to assist?
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Squishy Brakes
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2003, 12:09:09 PM »
Hey! I had no idea there was a Day at Jay's on Sunday...I need to do my vacuum hoses as well. Don't know how though. I can bleed my brakes (front) and then do my hoses...
I have to check with my wife and see how's she's feeling first...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
Squishy Brakes
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2003, 12:16:53 PM »
The "Emissions Workshop" display may be due to your MAS not working.  My 2000 did this to me recently and the guys at McDonald told me it was my MAS.

The B5 has a nasty problem with the air box getting dirt and sand it in from the valve in the bottom of it.  Dirt and sand are the mortal enemy of your MAS.

We can break down your air box and clean the MAS or you might need a new one.

The other option is to install a cold air intake, it is well worth the cash.
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Squishy Brakes
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2003, 12:24:00 PM »
If I can make it on Sunday and I can hook up with Chas today, I'm probably be doing my airbox mod as well, if that helps at all.
Win, is there any chance you could stop by, after I confirm tomorrow whether or not I can come, to give me a crash course on vacuum lines?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Squishy Brakes
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2003, 12:36:09 PM »
Thanks for the responce Kraut.

UPDATE:  After serching more ClubB5 threads last night and seeing references to the MAF sensor.  I cleaned my MAF this morning and the car is running better.  I did clean and re-oil my K&N this last spring.  I thought I was being conservative with the oil and thorough with removing excess.  I guess not.  I did not experience any surges at idle this morning on the way to work.  That was a nice feeling.  I still have the engine light on and the "Emissions Workshop" is displaying, but I think that will stay until I clear out the computer.  So, I would still like to hook a VAG-COM up to see the actual error code and to clear it out to test if possible.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Squishy Brakes
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2003, 12:43:16 PM »
Jay, sounds like you are going to be busy with everyone.

Unfortunately, I have plans for Sunday, so I won't be able to make it, but I can definitely second that MAF sensor issue being 1. dirty and needs cleaning or replacing (call Tim @ Liberty for Cost + 10% discount) or, 2. vaccum hoses.  

Since the hoses are cheaper, go this route first along with cleaning your bypass valve (aka diverter valve), which can sometimes get dirty.

If Pat swings by, he can show you the vaccum hose thing.  Or, maybe I can schedule something during the week for an hour or two next week if you guys have any trouble with it.

If you do decide to change them on Sunday, be very carefull removing the hoses underneath the intake manifold.  They have plastic nipples and if you break them, you replace the whole unit for around $100, IIRC...

I'll have my cell on me (720-318-5177) if you have any questions.

Ciao!
Winston
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Squishy Brakes
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2003, 03:30:12 PM »
I can most assuredly say that the MAF and DV have never been cleaned on my car...maybe Sunday would be a good day to do it...anyone know how...stupid question...anybody going to be there that want to supervise me? What do I need..I guess I can find out myself...I need to go work on the Mazda...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

madigan

• Modded
Squishy Brakes
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2003, 03:39:15 PM »
Quote from: "TLJR20v"
I can most assuredly say that the MAF and DV have never been cleaned on my car...maybe Sunday would be a good day to do it...anyone know how...stupid question...anybody going to be there that want to supervise me? What do I need..I guess I can find out myself...I need to go work on the Mazda...

Hey JR,

I wouldn't mind cleaning my MAF and DV either. I can bring my Bently manual and we can try to figure it out on Sunday, after my suspension goes in, of course.

Mark
mad wagon

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Squishy Brakes
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2003, 03:44:40 PM »
I have the 5-point security torx for the B5's to use on the MAF.  I can bring that if no one else hase one.

shummer

• Modded
Squishy Brakes
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2003, 05:04:55 PM »
I plan on cleaning my MAF sensor on Sunday. We can supervise each other.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Squishy Brakes
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2003, 05:44:22 PM »
That would be cool.  I forget Andrew, do you have a Vag-Com cable.  I know one of us has one, I thought you did.  I have the software and the laptop via USB connection, I do not have a serial connection.

shummer

• Modded
Squishy Brakes
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2003, 06:30:07 PM »
Quote from: "StarlightB5"
I forget Andrew, do you have a Vag-Com cable.

I do not have the software or the cable. I only know of Chas and Mike having them.

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
Squishy Brakes
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2003, 04:58:49 AM »
whenb you check you brakes, make sure that the wire spring on the outside of the calpier is mounted correctly, it can be tricky.....

mine did the same thing when i first insatlled them cuz i didnt get the spring on one of them iin just right, look at someones brakes to use as a ref. thats hat i did,

simple but dumb mistake...
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Squishy Brakes
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2003, 02:03:30 PM »
Hehehe...Nobody ended up cleaning their MAFs did they?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Squishy Brakes
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2003, 04:36:42 PM »
Andrew did.