Author Topic: My Torn Dollar Bill for your 2 Quarters- Cingular Wireless  (Read 2478 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
My Torn Dollar Bill for your 2 Quarters- Cingular Wireless
« on: June 09, 2005, 04:42:35 PM »
Cingular's shooting themselevs in the foot.

I consistently use only about 200 out of my 900 anytime minutes every month. I want to get a smaller family plan to save some money and not pay for what I don't need. I also signed up with AT&T. I'm one year into my contract and it's now Cingular.

I call them up and tell them I want to switch down to the 500min/mo plan at $39.99/mo. They tell me I have to migrate to a Cingular plan and switch phones. Okay, no problem. During this time, I've been online scoping things out.

We start talking and I inform her  that I want X plan and X phones with prices for both. She then states that phone prices online are only for new service contracts. They offer me:
Choices of ugly Nokias- $10
Generic Flip Phone- $20
Camera Flip- $35 (special pricing)
From there the price goes up.

I figure what they hey, I'm going to be saving about $20/mo. so I get the 2 camera phones. Then there's the $18 migration fee ??? No big. I'm still saving money in the long run where I need it. It's all set up. Then I receive the online statement of my order for it!!!!

Phone plan: $59.99- The didn't bother to tell me that the online plans were only for new service contracts. They only told me about the phones when I asked for one cheaper than what they said they had.
And- it's $18 per phone and not plan. Funny, my buddy here at work just switched his over and it was by the plan. Odd.

So now, I see this. I pay the same price for 400 less minutes. Rollover or not. Plus $36 migration fee, plus $70 for new phones. Mmmmk. Let's look at this:

If I stay:
Can never upgrade phones or get a cheaper plan and so end up paying for what I don't use. If I change plans, I need a new phone, if I want a new phone, I need a new plan. Oh yeah, and then there's the migration fee :roll: and a new 2-yr contract.

If I leave:
I can get new phone, probably free and a cheaper plan with someone else. But I have to wait a year.  

Riiiight. They're not working very hard to keep their customers. I think I'm going to go in to the local store and have a chat with our corporate rep and see how interested he is in keeping a customer for another year. Otherwise, I'll be taking full advantage of their 30-day guarantee return policy.

If I sign on for another two years, I want it to be worth it. Am I happy with AT&T/Cingular? Yes. They've never once screwed up my bill and I've never had to talk to CS.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 04:46:54 PM »
I am so sick of ATT.  I have been with them for about 8 years... and I am going to pay the fees to breach my contract to get away from them.  They constantly pull this kinda crap and everyone I talk to is on Verizon, so bye bye ATT....  JR I say leave them.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 04:46:54 PM »

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 04:51:24 PM »
Hey, didn't you get the memo? The name of the game is that you entice people who haven't already given you money with decent, yet still overpriced, rates.  The people that have already given you their money...well, let's just say that we don't care too much about them. :wink wink:

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 04:51:57 PM »
I have two lines and would probably have to pay what $175 per line to cancel? Eh. I did that with Verizon. I hated Verizon, the constantly screwed up my bill and when my wife would talk to them, they were god-aweful bitchy and made her cry by yelling at her, telling her she's an idiot and such goodness.
I doubt I'll go with Verizon again. Although, most of my family's on Verizon now :roll:

Ben: For real.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 05:12:45 PM »
I went through the same exact thing converting from at&t to cingular. Only I did it online and not through a rep. I ended up with a sweet sony/ericsson with a zoom .6 mp camera/video camera/speaker phone/mp3 ringers etc. for 79.99- the 30.00 rebate. I did pay the migration fee of 36 bucks as well.  :roll:

So it cost me about $90 to convert. BUT now I have much better service ( I understand that if you are a legacy at&t customer, cingular does not let you use all their towers) plus a better suited plan for my needs. Plus rollover minutes (not avaiulable with att) and I did not have to pay the early cancellation (bend over) fee.

I did my entire conversion using their website where I believe you have access to better promotions and rebates (Cingular does not have to pay commision to a sales rep if you sign yourself up)

I am actually really happy with the service. I totally agree about Verizon, I will never go with them again, bunch of a$$holes.
 :evil:
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 05:15:05 PM »
Seems like nobody likes T-Mobile, but I think they have better rates/plans than the competition. When I shopped around last summer for my first cell phone (yeah, I know) T-Mobile, by far, had the best deals overall.

Also, I  frequently get notices in the mail about their "talk or walk" motto. Customers can get out of their contract anytime, free.

Just my $0.02
mad wagon

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 05:19:08 PM »
Unfortunately, because I'm on a corporate discount plan, They wouldn't let me migrate via the internet. That's why I'm going to talk to our local rep. I'm a little annoyed. The contract crap doesn't bother me...it's the lack of desire to keep customers on their service.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 05:22:57 PM »
Well, that explains it. Going to the corporate rep should have been your first step... Let someone else do the leg work for you.
mad wagon

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 05:24:14 PM »
Well, he's gonna have to fix it now if he wants to keep me as a customer for the next couple years :x
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 05:45:32 PM »
Quote from: "madigan"
Seems like nobody likes T-Mobile, but I think they have better rates/plans than the competition. When I shopped around last summer for my first cell phone (yeah, I know) T-Mobile, by far, had the best deals overall.

Also, I  frequently get notices in the mail about their "talk or walk" motto. Customers can get out of their contract anytime, free.

Just my $0.02

I am with T-Mobile, and I haven't really ever had a problem, except that the phone I'm using is a complete piece of crap and it is already my second model of that phone. Otherwise, the service is great; I never lose service the entire way from St. Louis to Denver, even in the middle of Nowhere, Kansas! I had Qwest before, and that was just a huge pain in the butt, so T-Mobile has treated me right. Plus, Catherine-Zeta Jones is much hotter than any of the other people that represent phone companies.

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 06:03:50 PM »
I am also with TMO and like it.  good coverage, decent price, ability to roam internationally without hastle.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 06:52:32 PM »
Quote from: "gragravar"
I am also with TMO and like it.  good coverage, decent price, ability to roam internationally without hastle.

Ditto. The traveling aspect is what sold me on T-Mobile...
mad wagon

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 06:59:12 PM »
I too got TMO so I could roam internationally.  The coverage has been good and I lose less calls than I did with Sprint, but the one poor spot of coverage I have found is at my house.  Irritating.  Hopefully that will improve.  International roaming is not cheap but I can get text messages and email to my phone very cheaply while abroad.

I got a great deal on the phone and service through Amazon.  $300 worth of rebates.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 07:09:43 PM »
I'll probably just hang out for the next year and be a new subsciber with someone else for the next contract length.  :roll: The whole process seems really retarded. I thought the idea would be to recruit and then keep existing customers. It's much easier to be a new customer every two years and getting good deals.
Whatever. It will be hard to send back the cool phones I have coming though :roll:
Oh well.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 07:16:45 PM »
I have contemplated switching, but I am a former AT&T customer who left because they could never get the billing right and at the time their rates were muh higher. I have been with T Mo for a couple years and they have been good with customer service and packes as well as phone offerings.

However, their coverage leaves something to be desired. There are certain places I like to go in state and out of state that my T Mo service does not work and it irritates the hell out of me because my AT&T/Cingular and Verizon friends all have coverage.

I do with there were some more "customizeable" plans as I hate paying for the package I have because I never use anywhere near the minutes, but the next plan down is the lowest and is too few! :)

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2005, 01:44:17 AM »
i have been with VZ for a couple years now and as much as i hate calling their customer service people it get the coverage in the places that i really want it. I still use one of those old school non-camera phones with the manual slide up and down antenna. But it works and i am scared to cahnge to anything else..

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2005, 01:57:52 AM »
been with Tmobile for a long time, very happy, family plan, 2 phones, 1500 minutes a month, free nights and weekends, free roaming, free long distance, free calls to each other any time, I have 2 awesome Sony Erickson phones with cameras, and all said and done, I am at $59.99 a month, phones were free as well.  One came from Greg, the other came with my upgraded plan, but required a 1 year contract.

shop around, you might find better.