Author Topic: spark plugs, 1.8t  (Read 999 times)

randetto

• n00balicious
spark plugs, 1.8t
« on: June 12, 2005, 10:42:58 PM »
I have tried twice to use Denso Iridium Plugs in my A4 with 1.8t motor. It has a chip and K04 turbo. these plugs are a no-go. Originally I used a colder heat range, 1 step down, and after about two weeks the car refused to run. Problem was at least two dead plugs. Re-installed original equipment plugs and the car was fine.  About 10k miles later I decided it was time for new plugs and again tried Denso's again only stock heat range. The second week of running these the car started missing and refused to accelerate on the freeway. Checked fault codes with my VAG-COM and found numerous reports of missing and finally #3  cylinder was dead. Swapped out for dealer purchased NGK, stock heat range. Car is once again running like a stripped ass leopard.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
spark plugs, 1.8t
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 09:56:43 AM »
Looks like stocks are they way to go. I've got a manually boosted K03 and have been running Beru plugs without a hitch since FEB. '04
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

spark plugs, 1.8t
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 09:56:43 AM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
spark plugs, 1.8t
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 12:44:15 PM »
I think thisn is an almost neverending debate on what plugs to use. I think it almost always boils down to using the factory recommended plug.

However, based on different modifications some of these higher grade plugs work fine and in many cases are needed.

I would say if your car is running and performing as expected with the stockies to stick with them. It will save you money on plugs and fuel.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
spark plugs, 1.8t
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 02:08:19 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
I think thisn is an almost neverending debate on what plugs to use. I think it almost always boils down to using the factory recommended plug.

However, based on different modifications some of these higher grade plugs work fine and in many cases are needed.

I would say if your car is running and performing as expected with the stockies to stick with them. It will save you money on plugs and fuel.

Good call, Jay.  Use whatever the software manufacturer recommends.  If it's not chipped, use the stock plugs.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson