Author Topic: 2001.5 1.8t 5spd Hesitation & Surging Woes...Please help  (Read 2209 times)

Alphabet_Soup

• n00balicious
2001.5 1.8t 5spd Hesitation & Surging Woes...Please help
« on: August 14, 2003, 01:03:17 PM »
All,

My B5.5 started hesitating and surging out of the blue at 23k miles.  Prior to that, no issues.  Car will rev to 2500rpm in 2d gear then "die then surge back to rpms".  Can't rev engine over 3000 rpm, nothing happens.  Definitely not safe to drive.  Car is NOT throwing any codes.

Dealer (G) has replicated and is challenged.  So far, they have replaced:
Coil paks, MAF, maybe O2 sensor.  Did all that, still does it.  

Been out of service now for 4 weeks - no end in sight.

Any thoughts on the cause or escalation protocol?

Many thanks,
Grant in Longmont
001.5 Mojave Beige 1.8t 5 spd

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2003, 01:18:16 PM »
I would check over the vaccum hoses, and if they have replaced all that it could be a bad ecu.

The reason I mention this, my roommate, have a 2001 Jetta 1.8T. Of course the engine is different as well as the ecu, it is not uncommon for the cars to share similar issues.  He started getting CELs then experienced similar symptoms.

In his case, somehow one of the coilpacks failed and through some crazy route damaged the ecu.  They replaced the MAF, O2, coil packs, plugs and had the same problem, replaced the ECU and it was better.

Luckily they covered everything but the plugs.

Also in his case, tests on the ECU looked normal, so it was very strange.  Might be something to keep in mind.

I am also assuming that the coil packs replaced were the known bad coil packs? If they caused a similar problem I would "think" that this would all be a warranty issue, but then again we are talking about VW ;).

Hopefully someone has some better ideas and we can help get you running again.  If you haven't already, also check out www.clubb5.com, that's how we all met and prompted us to start this local club.

You could do a search and see if anything matches what you are experiencing.

Good luck!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2003, 01:18:16 PM »

Alphabet_Soup

• n00balicious
Jay, thanks for your thoughts, somemore to consider.......
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2003, 01:29:34 PM »
I will definitely run that by (G).  Also, the car is not throwing any codes!

I've been trying to use clubb5.com website, but when I go in there and clink on a thread, the page never loads.  Neither does it when I try to log in or go deeper into the posts than the first page.  I've mailed those guys w/no response about those issues.  Effectively, the site is unusable for me and this happens on various computers - home and Work <grin>.

Since the ECU is not throwing codes it becomes suspect along with the hoses.

Many thanks.
Grant

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2003, 03:35:45 PM »
RE: B5 wesite....
I have similar problems with the clubb5 website...it's sporadic with me at best and I just assumed it was the computer I was using (dial-up). Maybe it is the site...
Just wanted to let you know you're not the only with problems :wink:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2003, 10:21:15 PM »
Grant,
Please keep us posted of your progress.  I just purchased basicaly the same car (2001.5 B5.5 with 1.8t and tip).  You've got my curiosity peaked.
Good luck.
Rob

By the way, you know any deals on suspensions :) .

Alphabet_Soup

• n00balicious
The Rest of the Story....... pretty ugly...........
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2003, 08:43:19 PM »
So, the (G) dealership narrowed the issue down to the ECU after replacing the MAF, O2, Fuel Pump, etc.  This was all done under warranty over a period of 4-5 weeks.

The ECU module showed claimed signs of tampering by (G) and alledged non-factory sodder (sp?) marks on the "chip".  Not a warranty item.
Ka-ching $1000 for new factory ecu and install and reset immobillizer codes.

Harsh.  Really harsh.  Even if I were to go after the dealer that originally sold the car and car buying service, (G) wouldn't release my car until $$ in hand.  So to go sort out things, I had to bail my car out of (G) jail or it would be sitting at (G) for many more months after the finger pointing begins.

Life's lessons.  Seems to run fine and good to have her back.

Grant

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2003, 08:55:20 PM »
Grant - Glad to hear you have your ride back, sorry to hear about the raw deal you got from the dealer that sold you the car.

I had a problem with a BMW 740 I bought from a dealer a while back - long story short the engine swap that I was told took place, never did - anyway I called in the Department of Revenue that over sees auto-dealers and after a S%$T loat of paperwork, they did nothing!

Moral of the story - call the TV stations.  I was much more successful once the local media was invoilved, and the dealer took steps to correct the problem.  Too bad for me I had already turned the car in (and took a bath) on my first B5.5

So if the dealer was local, call FOX or 9NEWS, they love this kind of stuff...  Also feel free to tell the rest of us the dealer that hosed you so we can avoid giving them our business.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065