Author Topic: Two issues resolved in one afternoon!  (Read 1237 times)

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Two issues resolved in one afternoon!
« on: August 09, 2003, 12:21:13 PM »
After this long and winding road of my wheels/tires situation, I have finally confirmed the strange vibration.  My left front wheel is also out of round.  I rotated my front to rear and drove around the 30-40MPH range and the forward/back vibration was gone.  I wished I could have found this out earlier, but I was told by Discount tire that the tire, not the wheel was out of round.  It is possible that was also the case.  Never the less the car runs allot better now and on Monday I will call Edge Racing and see if I can exchange the wheel.  It has a one year warranty and I have not potholed or curbed that wheel, so I should not have a problem.  I figure that it is a defect and that should be honored.  

Now for the second item that made me a bit nervous.  I have had an issue with my right side wheel/suspension making a rattling sound whenever I went over a bump or rough road at speed.  This has been going on for quite a while and I always thought that the contents of my utility bag (anchored by Velcro) were bouncing around inside the trunk.  A couple of weeks ago I moved the bag to the other side of the trunk and the sound persisted.  Well yesterday, I took the right rear wheel off and looked at the suspension.  To my surprise one of the two bolts that connect the shock to the car was really loose.  The other bolt was tight, but the first was loose enough that I could move it with my fingers.  I know that I used loc-tight when I put the suspension in, so I was surprised.  I tightened the bolt back down, put the wheel on and went for a test drive.  No sounds and everything is solid and stable.  

I think that when everyone trades their summer sandals in for winter galoshes, you may want to shore up or at least look at the suspension to make sure that everything is kosher.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 03:35:34 PM »
Nice Dave!  That's definitely some good news about the wheel being the problem.  I have noticed that rotating them can make a big difference.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 03:35:34 PM »