Author Topic: Avon TechM-500 Tire Review  (Read 1502 times)

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Avon TechM-500 Tire Review
« on: June 16, 2005, 12:36:00 PM »
Good morning,

Just thought I'd post about my experience with my Avon tires.  They are 225/45/17 Tech M-500 UHP tires.

For everyday/street driving they are great, low noise levels, great in the rain, I even had to drive with them in the snow a couple times (crazy CO weather) with no drama.  They were actually better in the snow than my worn stock Michelins.  

At the track they had higher grip levels than the stock tires, very predictable, and consistant.  As the day went on I found that, at least in my car and the way I drive, it was just as fast when the tires weren't squealing through the corners, then when I would try and push it and they would squeal all the way through.  I guess I just need to learn how to better balance the car before entering the turn.  After getting a feel for the new tires I was able to try different lines, braking points, entry speeds, etc. because they were very consistant and communicated what was going on with the car.  They really enhanced the whole driving experience at the track.

My only complaints is that when pushing the tire hard in a corner it'll begin to squeal long before it reaches max grip, so it can be pretty noisy.  When the tire would squeal I could give it more gas and it would continue to grip.  The noise level of the tire would remain constant, although I was pushing harder into the corner.  The next is durability.  The rears wore just fine, but my front driver's side tire is now missing chunks off the outside edge.  The funny thing is that it's the trailing edge of the tread block, not the leading edge.  I know that 2nd creek is hard on that particular tire because there are alot of right turns, but I think the chunking is a little excessive and they should have held up better.  My stock Michelins didn't chunk when I ran them at 2nd creek.  Due to the excessive wear on the tire I really couldn't tap the full grip level.  I was never able to completely max them out enough to where I would get terrible/unmanagable understeer like with the stock tires.  

Overall I am happy with the purchase.  They are best suited for those who want a performance tire that can handle some spirited driving, but still want something comfortable for everyday use.  Since I don't have the money to get track tires and rims these will see more track time after getting them rotated.  Maybe the excessively worn tire is faulty and the others won't wear as bad, but I'll have to go to the track again to find out.  I'll be autocrossing on them this weekend, so I'll post how they did there, since racing at 2nd Creek and Auto-x are completely different.  With the stock tires I always battled understeer in Auto-x.  And so far with the Avon's I haven't had any problems with understeer.

Hope this can be of some use to others, and sorry for the long post.

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 01:07:21 PM »
Helpful info Kevin. Curious what tire pressure you had in the Avons and your stock Michelins the two times at SCR. Also, keep us posted about the squealing. Just wondering if the squealing will continue more now driving around town since the track abuse. Maybe if you could hit up some familiar roads/curves to see if they are now noisier.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 01:07:21 PM »

KevB

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 01:16:34 PM »
Michelins I had 5lbs over recommended max load, so 37-38lbs front and about 42-43 rear.

Avons 37 front, 40 rear.  I started the day with the fronts at the recommended load and the rears at 40.  After looking at the tires it appeared the fronts were rolling over onto the upper part of the side wall, so I added 4lbs and it felt better.

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 11:27:46 PM »
great review, sounds like these are a great all around high performance tire that can take on the track, but are best suited to general performance driving.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 01:54:51 AM »
Hey, thanks for taking the time to write that.  I would have considered purchasing those tires, but now I don't think I will consider them anymore.  I'm not down with the chunking.
Wait....nevermind.   I forgot I'll be on r-compounds when at the track from now on.  I guess I don't have to worry about having track worthy street tires now.  Wow, I just realized that.  Hmmmm....maybe I shouldn't rule out the Avons.
Don't mind me.  I'm just thinking out loud. :oops:
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

KevB

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 02:08:31 PM »
Well here's an update on the Avons.  I autocrossed them yesterday out at DIA, and I don't know if was the heat, or what, but they did not perform well at all.  At 2nd creek they were great aside from the chunking issue and handled the higher speeds just fine, but they definitely lack the grip needed for an autocross course.  The first run they understeered almost as bad as my stock tires, maybe becaused I pushed them harder thinking they would hold.  Secong through forth runs they were better, but hard braking, then turning into a slow speed corner is not what this tire does well.  UNDERSTEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Oh well I guess I'll have to buy some dedicated track tires and wheels next summer.  I would do it this summer, but I will probably only go to one more track day, and there are no other Saturday autorosses this season.

Once again the Tech M-500's are good for everyday driving, spirited weekend fun, and probably a few track days.  But I wouldn't autocross on them again.

Hey 34K, if you're reading this, post about your impressions on the Kumho Ecsta MX's!

Later,
Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T