Author Topic: A man and a bolt... I feel like hurting somebody.  (Read 2402 times)

evil_O

• Modded
A man and a bolt... I feel like hurting somebody.
« on: June 23, 2005, 04:11:14 AM »
Here is the story in short.... I need help getting one lousy bolt threaded back in  :evil:

Here is the story in long (pertains to the subaru for those that do not wish to read further):

Installed my Kartboy STS and shift knob tonight. Install was straight forward and easy.... with ONE exception. You are not going to believe this at all.

After I installed the STS I rowed it through the gears and noticed it rubbed a bit in the upper left hand side when put into first. So... I took out the four bolts that hold the metal ring in place - the one that surrounds the base of the shifter.

I got enough clearance to prevent anything from hitting but now I cannot get ONE freaking bolt back in - the lower right one. Before we start making fun.. here is what I have tried:

-other bolts - all begin to thread and then bind
-ALL the bolts work in the other three holes and I can finger tighten them without binding
-I readjusted the metal ring... made sure all is lined up.. and tried again.. still no success.

I am afraid to tighten it down as I do not want to strip it. Right now it is in just a little bit more than finger snug. Everything is put back together and I should have been done with this thing an hour ago.

I do not see anything wrong with the threads on the bolt. I have cleaned the bolt threads with a wire brush... and I even ran the wire brush through the hole. Still nothing. It starts to thread and then it binds about 1/8 of the way down. I dare not torgue on it as I do not want to strip it.

Any suggestions on how to thread this back in???

If I can get this cleared up I will be all....  :D
Right now though I am :evil:  :cry:   - un-freakin-believable.
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 08:59:37 AM »
we can look at it on tuesday if you want, I have a thread tap kit, used it many times...if we need it.  Maybe one of the threads in there is slightly off, so we can check it out.

can you drive the car with the 3 bolts in place?

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 08:59:37 AM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 09:45:06 AM »
It sounds like you might have stripped it the original time you put it in. But, hey, If Jon has a threading kit...you're set :wink: Me llamas de necessitas cada ayduda.  :D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

evil_O

• Modded
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 11:57:52 AM »
Jon - ah yes thread tap kit.  I super glad that you have one.  It can be driven with three bolts.  Where did you get your tap kit?  This might be something that I need to invest in... lol.

JR - Not sure how I would have stripped it.  All I did was take it out and then attempt to hand thread it back in and that is when the binding started.  I know it is something that I did... just not sure how in the heck I did it.  

Jon - even though I had this one glich... I think you are gonna want one.
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

s4josh

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 12:29:50 PM »
Did you try threading that bolt first?  Just a silly question...
Josh Ver 2.0

2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE DSG
2009 VW Jetta TDI 6sp man
2006 VW MkV GTI DSG w/LC
2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI-PD
2003 VW Jetta TDI-PD
2001 Audi B5.5 S4 6sp man

scott

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 12:44:13 PM »
my suggestion is this... torque just a TINY bit past the point of binding and then back it out... examine the first wo threads very closely to see what kind of story they tell you... it is very hard for me to grasp this without seeing it... and chance you can snap a pic of the trouble spot?

As for the tap and die kit... Harbor Freight sells one, but this is the one thing I will NOT buy from them. Their stuff is good in apinch, but the threads do not cut deep enough to be truly reliable. A nice craftsman set will run you between $80 and $250 depending on what options you want, but mine has saved me literally THOUSANDS of dollars in work, so I swear by it.

If you have never used one before, please talk to an experienced "tapper" before going to town on anything, it is a much slower process than most people think and it does take the smallest amount of skill (and patience) to cut threads correctly. I actually took a class several years ago and the tap and die portion of the class lasted about 45 minutes...

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 12:45:13 PM »
Jer,

I believe I got the entire kit from Sears, it is pretty extensive, and you can also get other kits at Harbor Freight....

Should be an easy fix, and if you let me drive it, I will see how i like it, maybe then I will make the plunge....;)

does that mean you will help me install it?  since I have no idea what I am doing ;)

evil_O

• Modded
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 01:27:40 PM »
Scott - I did torque slightly past finger tight... pulled the bolt out and look for any signs... none.  I am a little too afraid to torque much more... as i do not want to do any damage.  I was thinking about going and getting a rethread kit up at Lowe's or something today but after what you said I am nervouse about doing it.  I have never rethreaded so ... I am not sure of the difficulty level.. and I surely don't wanna mess anything up.

Jon - I can definately help you out with install... super easy as long as you use snap ring pliers.  If I can stomach the bolt being out 'til next week I would love for you to help me out with my issue.

grrrrrrrrr
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 02:16:20 PM »
just don't drive like a mad man and slam through the gears, you should be fine until then, and we can look at it.

evil_O

• Modded
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 02:34:49 PM »
Quote from: "03Indigo"
just don't drive like a mad man and slam through the gears, you should be fine until then, and we can look at it.

Yeah... I actually think it is fine even without the bolt.. but it just agitates me to have it looking/being the way it is... even though once it is all put back together u cannot see it....

Oh well.  I will see if I can wait.  Ooooo the pain.
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 03:10:12 PM »
hang in there young grasshoppah...soon it will be fixed and good as new,