Author Topic: Diverter Valve Mod?  (Read 4258 times)

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Diverter Valve Mod?
« on: August 18, 2003, 08:14:10 PM »
Has anyone installed a billet diverter valve AKA Blow-off Valve in their b5?  I am looking into this mod, but do not know if it is worth the cost. :?:
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
Diverter Valve Mod?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 08:25:50 PM »
not worth it unless you have been chiped....

if you get chiped thhen you will do this anyways...
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Diverter Valve Mod?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 08:25:50 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Diverter Valve Mod?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 08:33:53 PM »
You can upgrade your DV at anytime and if you are not chipped I wouldn't do it unless your DV has gone bad though because it is just extra money.

You can always upgrade at any time and chipped or not you will see improvement.  Be weary of BOVs though because most are not designed to work with our engines.  Some owners have had no problems at all while others have had minor issues.

If it seems stable with our engines then go for it, why not.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
Diverter Valve Mod?
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 08:37:06 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  Now next question where can one get a chip for the B5.5 1.8T ??

Man I am going to be spending some cash :twisted:
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Diverter Valve Mod?
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2003, 09:58:15 PM »
I wanted to get a BOV for a long time, but according to the experts I talked to at CB5, the BOV actually will rob you of power.  What the DV valve does is keep the vaccum lines open and the flow moving through the turbo, keeping it spooled up when under WOT (Wide Open Throttle).

When you vent out to the atmosphere with a BOV, there is less movement to keep the turbo spinning, which causes it to slow down faster and therefore you have to spin it up again when going to the next gear.

It does sound cool though...Not sure when you would want to use this, but maybe in conjunction with a Cold Air Intake it make work better.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
BOV
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2003, 01:27:00 AM »
In 1.8T's we have a mass airflow sensor that when the divertor valve is called upon to dump excess pressure, some of that is passed into the intake that the sensor takes into account when the ECU computes the air to fuel mixture, when you add a BOV the excess pressure gets dumped into the atmosphere rather than recycled into the intake and the wastegate and it fools the ECU into thinking that there's not enough air and tries to compensate and recalculates the air fuel mixture to make it run richer. Some people think that this is good(to run richer that is), but it actually decreases your engine life, because the motor is being pushed to do things that it was not designed to do. Most people actually get limp mode from BOV's which is the equivalent of you walking faster than your car will move on its own. Ultimately it's your choice, but with a good DV and a cold air intake you get a whoosh close to what a BOV sounds like and your car has the equipment it was designed to work with. IMO.  :idea:
Look officer, I really do own it......

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
Diverter Valve Mod?
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2003, 04:37:48 AM »
WHERE TO GET CHIPPED IN DENVER>>>>

autosortwerks is an APR dealer in denver

http:// http://www.autosportwerks.com/
 Autosport Werks
465 Alter Street
Broomfield, CO 80020  

and also you can get a REVO chip at avalon motorsports
http://www.avalonmotorsports.com/index.htm
phone number is 303-400-3001  

hope that helps...
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
Diverter Valve Mod?
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2003, 12:12:46 PM »
Thank you for all the advice.  I am currently running with a cold air intake from Evolution, and I an quite happy with it.  There is a breather valve that make a nice sound when the air is dumped as I move throught the gears.

I think I will just go with a chip and keep an eye on the OEM diverter valve for signs the engine heat is harming the plastic.
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Diverter Valve Mod?
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2003, 12:50:58 PM »
This is a good thread.  I have learned quite a bit.  Thanks.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Diverter Valve Mod?
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2003, 01:53:59 PM »
Definitely!  Kraut-sled, I want to check out your cold air intake and see it first hand.  Are you or Wyaka coming to the track day to test out your whips?

I didn't know we had an APR dealer in town.  That is a good thing!

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
Diverter Valve Mod?
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2003, 02:25:42 PM »
I will not be able to get to the track, but I am planning on doing some wrenching at the GTG on Sunday.  If you want to see it there, I will be happy to show it to you and let you take it for a test drive to hear the breather.  I have also posted a picture of it in my gallery.

It took about an 1 1/2 hours to do the install, because I had to modify the MAS connector pipe, but well worth it!
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Diverter Valve Mod?
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2003, 02:42:36 PM »
Quote from: "kraut-sled"
I will not be able to get to the track, but I am planning on doing some wrenching at the GTG on Sunday.  If you want to see it there, I will be happy to show it to you and let you take it for a test drive to hear the breather.  I have also posted a picture of it in my gallery.

It took about an 1 1/2 hours to do the install, because I had to modify the MAS connector pipe, but well worth it!

Looks great!  You know, I almost got the exact same wheels!  They were on my list for over a year, but I just didn't have the money at the time and when I did get the money, I was into the ones I have now.  They do look very nice!

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
DV
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2003, 03:18:14 PM »
Once you get chipped you'll have to replace the stock DV and get an N75 or another aftermarket part. The stock unit will not handle the extra boost for very long if you plan on driving it hard. I didn't know there was another track day coming up or for that matter that there was a GTG on Sunday. I was hoping to meet some of you at least once, and see some of your cars. If there is a GTG or a garage day tell me and I'll try my best to go.
Look officer, I really do own it......

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
Diverter Valve Mod?
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2003, 03:27:43 PM »
I am retarted :oops: I thought the GTG was the 24th, but it was the 17th, man I should really stop smoking crack.

I guess I will have to pay more attention and not miss the next one.

Maybe I have to change my signature to Drive Fast, do not BE stupid!
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Diverter Valve Mod?
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2003, 05:38:37 PM »
And I thought I was the only one that did that...