Author Topic: New Toys  (Read 3158 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
New Toys
« on: July 20, 2005, 01:06:27 PM »
Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD51 HU
Pioneer 300w amp
JL Audio 10" Sub
Dell Inspiron 5000e CarPC  8O
-XP Pro
-850 mhz
-512ram
-32g HD

I installed the HU yesterday before work and it's fantastic. Thanks Mark!
The amp and sub I hope to putting in starting tonight or tomorrow. I just have to pick up a few misc wires and stuff and stop working 16h days.

The laptop is running to my HU via hardwired 1/8" adapter. I haven't fully tested it yet so I don't know if 1/8" will be my final configuration. It's not exactly optimum to have to have the PC completely out to listen to my digital music so I won't be doing it much. If there is a long drive or something, I'll probably build one massive playlist or something.

In case, your sitting there saying, "get an IPod you moron," the mounted 7"ish touchscreen will hopefully be in as an early Christmas present. Then all will be controlled via front end software I've yet to decide on. What's all? All is Navi, DVD, MP3, TV, VAG, etc.

Good times, good times.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

BHase

• Modded
New Toys
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 01:12:53 PM »
Cool. Does sound like a rather pricey endeavour!  I'll be interested to sneak a peek at it when you get everything set up.

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

Rocky Mountain Club B5

New Toys
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 01:12:53 PM »

TurboDub

• Modded
Re: New Toys
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 01:52:36 PM »
Quote from: "jayryan"

In case, your sitting there saying, "get an IPod you moron,"

Okay okay just for a second...or two :lol:

Sounds like that setup is cool as hell though 8)
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
New Toys
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 06:57:42 PM »
I got the amp and sub were installed last night. Got to bed at 5am. Hits hard and sounds much better.
Need to do some pretty work- brackets to mount the sub where the changer used to be then hack up the trunk lining on that side to fit around the sub. Danged near custom.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
New Toys
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 07:03:38 PM »
JR - you only beat me to bed by 20 minutes - LOL.

Hit us with some pictures when you have a sec.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
New Toys
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 08:06:39 PM »
Got the pretties done this morning, ie. Mounted the enclosure and cut my carpeting to fit around. I removed the CD changer rack before I began the wire running process.
Looks real nice if you ask me. It's out of the way. The amp is mounted under the rear deck in the trunk and you can't even see it unless you look for it. The enclosure takes up virtually no space that I used before all this.
The amp puts off this cool blue LED that lights up my trunk at night :P
I was too lazy to take any pictures so you'll have to see it in person some time. Nothing really that glamorous. At some point I'll probaby buy more carpeting and cover the entire enclosure so it looks like on wall of the trunk except for the grill showing.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

evil_O

• Modded
New Toys
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 10:30:15 PM »
lazy?  you just did all that work and no pics?  c'mon dude :wink:
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

BHase

• Modded
New Toys
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 06:36:23 PM »
Quote from: "evil_O"
lazy?  you just did all that work and no pics?  c'mon dude :wink:

Yeah. What's wrong with you? Take some pictures!  

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
New Toys
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 11:26:36 PM »
That's awesome JR.  I am jealous.  Both the B5 and the FJ60 need some new speakers, although the FJ is in some seriously bad audio shape.  I think it would be a step up listening to John Denver on AM.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Scuba2001

• Modded
New Toys
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 12:33:27 AM »
Wheres the pictures?   :lol:

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
New Toys
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 12:10:39 PM »
Shut up.  :lol: I actually disconnected the amp a couple days ago and I'm not so sure I like the sub after all. I think I ended up opening a huge can of worms I don't really have any desire to deal with. It's like adding boost and realizing how bad your suspension sucks. So you go out and spend more money to make that handle better when in this case, stock was just fine.

Charles was telling me the other day that he'd like a bit more mid-lows. I can agree and add to that. All I have to adjust my sub with is the EQ on the headunit and the LPF on the amp. In order to get optimum sound from my car, I should a) get a 12" sub, b) a crossover for the main system/sub and c) put an EQ on the sub.

Even though the LPF is on and set to block frequencies above 250hz or something like that (didn't look), adjusting anything below that to optimize the sub results in adjusting those same frequencies system wide. This also occurs if trying to cut certain frequencies out of the main system. I can't isolate my sub from my main system like I want. I was hoping for different results, that the sub would give me those additional, fuller lows like I wanted. But it doesn't.

I'm probably just going overboard as I have a pro audio background and am kind of anal that way. However, in this case, my suspicion is proving to be true. The Passat's sound design was done so well that the effects of the sub are minimal at best for me.

The stock system in the car operates at normal range for the speakers which isn't much being what? 8" and 2-1/2" or something like that? But the design of the system gives a much larger effect. Open a door and take a listen to those speakers. Eh. Shut the door and you're surrounded with nice deep bass and crips, clear highs. These, naturally, sound even better if an aftermarket HU or amp are added.

My subs effect is negilgent because where I want it ideally, it operates at such a close frequency range as the combined system that it's barely noticable. In order to really hear the sub, I'm operating at levels that are dangerously loud for my ears or the bass is just overpowering in my opinion.

Ideally, I want to have highs/mids from the car and let the sub handle the lows. I can't do that without compromising the sound of either. Any sort of attempt to do such will result in more money that I don't really have the desire to spend.

This would be optimum for those that just want more bass or like it loud. I just can't find a happy medium for what I listen to. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I'm far too nit-picky when it comes to audio to be happy with the setup but I may try and make it work. I could just wait until I can get some additional pieces which honestly, I don't find the stock (w/HU) system inadequate enough to do.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

evil_O

• Modded
New Toys
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 12:17:58 PM »
Pics? :lol:
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
New Toys
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 12:32:34 PM »
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

s4josh

• Modded
New Toys
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 01:34:39 PM »
Quote from: "jayryan"

Typical
Josh Ver 2.0

2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE DSG
2009 VW Jetta TDI 6sp man
2006 VW MkV GTI DSG w/LC
2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI-PD
2003 VW Jetta TDI-PD
2001 Audi B5.5 S4 6sp man

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
New Toys
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 01:34:57 PM »
*poke*
So you have all this time and money to do the stereo shit which won't make your car run one bit better, but you can't find the time or money to get the right pot from Radio Shack to make your Barometric Pressure Mod work right...

Priorities, priorities...
*poke*
 :wink:

My 12 lbs of boost will smoke your 12 lbs of boost. You'll have to crank that new stereo up loud to drown out my exhaust... Bye-bye, sucker!  VROOOOM...

lol.

*poke*
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
New Toys
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 01:44:16 PM »
Yes. :lol: After spending two days on the baro mod, I have it a rest to work on something else. I'll come back to it...eventually.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

BHase

• Modded
New Toys
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2005, 03:04:59 PM »
Quote from: "Rusty"
you can't find the time or money to get the right pot from Radio Shack to make your Barometric Pressure Mod work right...

Pot? Barometric Pressure Mod?  I get it...

Ben