Author Topic: Convince me not to get an A3!  (Read 11051 times)

BHase

• Modded
Convince me not to get an A3!
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2005, 01:56:39 PM »
Okay, that black TT is hot as hell. I want one.

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Just test drove a DSG w/sport pkg.
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2005, 09:30:41 PM »
Got a call yesterday that got two more in, a black one with the sport package and a dark blue one with the luxury package (both DSG).

Looking at both of them, the darker color is not as flattering to the car's shape and size as the lighter or brighter colors.  But anyways, I was there for the test drive and it exceeded my expectations.

The DSG tranny is truely amazing, quick and seemless shifts and matches with the 2.0T engine perfectly.  There is virtually no turbo lag, and the dealer let me do some sprints and spirited driving through some twisty roads through an industrial park (too much fun!).
At first I was shifting with the shifter, but the dealer reminded me of the paddles behind the steering wheel.  The paddles were great and very easy to use.  In automatic mode, there is a sport setting which felt fast and aggressive if you want to give your fingers a rest.

I really like the sport package.  The stiffer suspension felt just right in turns and had just enough feel for the road.  The slightly lower stance along with the roof spoiler looks nicer than the one with the luxury package.  The sport package also featured aluminum trim including cast aluminum shift paddles which felt solid and had a nice slightly dampered clicking sensation to it (the paddles are black plastic on the luxury package).  The black leather interior has nicely detailed white stiching, while the beige leather of the luxury package looks bland.
The standard Audi Symphonic stereo does sound like crap eventhough it has 10 speakers scattered throughout the cabin -- my Monsoon system in my B5.5 puts it to shame.

The steering felt really good to, as it was electronically controlled so that it felt firmer at highway speeds and very light in parking situations.

I checked out the Sky Roof option and I was disappointed with it.  Eventhough the front panel seems very large, it doesn't retract all the way back (the rear panel is fixed), and the sliding shade for both panels is merely a screen (not solid), which still allowed a quite a bit of light to get through -- not great if you want your interior dark or if you are parked under the strong midday sun.  The louvred panorama roof on the Pontiac G6, Cadillac SRX, or the Mercedes ML  that opens the roof completely would be a better design -- or at least stick with the conventional sunroof.  Well that's $1,100 saved there.

So on some of your suggestions, I'm holding off until the V6 Quattro comes out and also when enough production is made to overcome some of the bugs in the new model.  I should've test drove the 3.2L V6 DSG TT while I was there to get a better sense of the engine/transmission combo.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Just test drove a DSG w/sport pkg.
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2005, 09:30:41 PM »

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2005, 11:18:06 PM »
Sounds like a sweet ride! What were the stickers on the ones that came in? and how much did it seems like the dealer was willing to knock off?

I still haven't seen one on the road. Where are they all hiding??
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2005, 11:42:52 PM »
McDonald has been getting them in 2 at a time, right now supply is pretty slim.  They are getting larger fleets through late summer and early fall.  I could order one with my choice of colors and options today and it will arrive sometime in October.

Based on my experience with new models and with Audis and VWs, I wasn't expecting any discounts.  Mort says he could work with me, but it wouldn't be much of a discount.  I didn't discuss about it much further as I wasn't prepared to buy right now -- I'm thinking I could work some deal out with some dealer installed options and accessories.

I stopped at Ralph Schomp BMW just for kicks to see if they have anything interesting as an alternative.  I'm not much of a BMW guy, and only the 3-series was in my price range.  Even the newly redesigned 2006 models (much nicer than the 2005) didn't do anything for me, and I don't like the idea of driving a RWD car in the winter.  Like the A3, the 3-series gets insanely expensive when you add on the options.
My only BMW of choice would be a 2002 Z3 coupe, but those in good condition and low milage are very hard to come by -- I would get a Dinan stage 2 tuning package for it.

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2005, 02:02:23 AM »
I went earlier this week to McDonald and Ralph Schomp to take a look around (my friend is interested in a 20th Anniversary GTI that Schomp is selling).

I did see the dark blue A3 at McDonald. Somebody was ready to go on a test drive with it, so I didn't walk up and stare at the interior (or the sticker). It looked pretty slick. I am stuck on the red that they've advertised it with (just like I've always been stuck on the Nogaro Blue for the B5 S4).  

I absolutely loved the new 3-series, in contrast. I sat in a 330i and a 325i, and I thought the interior were excellent, if not superior to those found in the B7 A4.  Obviously they were expensive, but the presence of a 6-speed in the new 330 sure made me drool. The new BMW really did it for me.

Then I sat in (the only?) Z3 on the lot, which I think was white. I loved it, even liked it better than the brand new Z4's on the lot.  The seating position, the feel, the look of the dash...all made me love the car. I'd driven one back in '00 when I was choosing between a '98 Z3 2.8, or my own '98 A4 2.8, and I don't remember liking it as much. Maybe the car grows on you with maturity...or maybe now I'm looking for something else (I was coming from a small, essentially two-seat car...'91 Geo Tracker).  

It had been the first time in awhile that I'd looked at cars. I'm still semi-drooling over the new GTO though. I don't know quite why those have grown on me so much.

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

Vanimaniac

• Stock
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2005, 02:25:30 AM »
If you wanna test drive some Bimmers for free with no sales hassle, check out this.... http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/EventsandPrograms/default.htm?showregistration=1

The ultimate driving experience is an autocross type course in their 3 series at Mile High on Aug. 5-7. Alas, it's already filled up. I didn't get registered in time. I did it last year in an X3 and was amazed at how well those SUV's handle. Pat was there too.

Or click on the Susan B. Korman link and you can drive around one of several BMW's for charity.

Van
here are three kinds of people, those that can count and those that can't.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2005, 03:09:24 AM »
Quote from: "BHase"

It had been the first time in awhile that I'd looked at cars. I'm still semi-drooling over the new GTO though. I don't know quite why those have grown on me so much.

I've seen a GTO at Murray BMW used lot.
It is certainly one large car, looks a lot like a stretched Grand Prix coupe -- can't believe how long it is for a sports car (odd propotions), but you can't dismiss all of that horsepower under the hood.

A loaded Volvo S40 T5 AWD or a used 2005 S60R (300hp AWD) are also in the price range of a A3...

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2005, 01:24:00 PM »
It is funny that you noticed that. I've seen GTOs countless times and never noticed their length as being anything other than that of a normal sports car. So I looked online and compared some specs:

The GTO (189.8 in) is longer the BMW M3 (176.9 in), the Porsche 911 (175.6 in), and of course, the Lotus Elise (149 in). I really wouldn't have noticed that if you hadn't said it (except for the Elise thing).  And not only is it longer, but more than an entire foot longer than both the M3 and the 911! That was a surprise to me.

It is, however, shorter than the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, which seems almost monstrous now at 198.3 inches.

Ben

PasSoup

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2005, 02:09:28 PM »
The GTO is supposed to be more of a muscle car.  It's length is much closer to that of the Mustangs.  (187.6 188.0/GT)
Jonathon

1999 Passat 30V V6
2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2005, 04:01:52 PM »
Regarding stereo, I would either buy the best stock stereo you can afford, or think VERY carefully about what an "aftermarket" system will get you, and what you will loose as a result.  Remember, Audi and VW integrate the stereo heavily into the vehicle's communications and computer systems.  If you want the steering wheel controls, you basically have to have a stock system.  If you want the center display to work in your instrument cluster, you have to have a stock system.  There is one aftermarket system I know of that will communicate with the CAN-BUS and allow the use of the controls and display, but you are then modifying the communications system of the car, associated wiring and warranty.  In my opinion, the ONLY aftermarket possibility for upgraded sound is speakers.  Otherwise you are risking a lot, and loosing functions of the car.
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2005, 05:15:05 PM »
I meant just the speakers and the amp.

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2005, 05:19:17 PM »
Right, the amp is part of the audio network, and usually cannot be seperated or bypassed unless they can get speaker level outputs... but then your audio quality goes down.
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!