Author Topic: Convince me not to get an A3!  (Read 11034 times)

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Convince me not to get an A3!
« on: July 07, 2005, 04:01:45 PM »
I'm itching about getting an A3 late this year or early next year (anticipating a big promotion), and thinking about whether or not to do anymore mods to my B5.5 and possibly returning it to stock so I could sell it.

I'm considering a A3 2.0T, Metallic Silver with the following options:
Sport package
DSG transmission
Nav system
Sky roof
Xenon HL
Convenience package
This comes out to be $32,000 MSRP.

Pros and cons on getting a new A3:
PROS:
- The A3 is such a hot car, better performance potential, and perfect size (especially the practical hatchback).
- I don't have to deal with so many quirks (electrical and quality) as on my B5.5.  The build quality on the A3 seems very good.
- The Audi gets more respect than a VW.
- Getting a little tired of my B5.5.

CONS:
- My B5.5 is totally paid off, so I would have to deal with having a car loan.
- I would have to start from square one with mods.
- The depreciation of my B5.5 since there are a lot of Passats out there.
- Getting a good deal on the A3 seems a little challenging since it is such a new and desirable model.

My next major mod on my B5.5 would be a Votex front end with replica or aftermaket sides and rears, but if I were to sell it I would probably not get it done and slowly return it to stock so that I could sell it or tade it in.

This Oettinger front end looks so hot and would be my first mod:

The Audi Nuovo replica wheels from Harmann would be a possibility too:
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 04:07:04 PM »
Is there talk of a quattro version?
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 04:07:04 PM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 04:07:15 PM »
I can't. I like the A3.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 04:08:28 PM »

CONS:
- My B5.5 is totally paid off, so I would have to deal with having a car loan.

That's a good reason not to. Plus no quattro which would kill the idea right away for me - not sure how important that is to you, and i'm sure its coming sometime (I hope).

As for the pros... I *really* want my next car to have DSG. It's cool that they are already coming over with it. And hey, the hatch with the seats down would be a good space for Yuki! ;)
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 04:10:04 PM »
Honestly, I think the A3 is a great car and is going to be abig hit here in the US for Audi. When I first saw they were coming over I was very skeptical. I mean why would anyone want an Audi smaller than the A4?

I finally saw a real person (not a tester) driving one the other day and the guy was just grinning ear to ear.

I was hoping to look at them come next year when I am in the market for a car again.

As you mentioned, there probably wont be any deals until next year, but you never know.

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 04:14:28 PM »
You have tall friends and family so you need the back seat leg room of the Passat to appease them?

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 04:16:52 PM »
I think the Quattro version is going to be released next year.
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 04:24:50 PM »
In theory, much like what Volvo has done, the 2wd Audis should be fantastic in snow and ice.

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 04:24:53 PM »
The quattro version should be out next year, along with the 3.2 V6 (or VR6 if you will) version.  My concerns are concerned around the lack of a manual transmission in the A4 3.2 Quattro, and whether this will carry over to the A3.  

My biggest problem here is that $32,000 is far too much, in my opinion, for a car like the A3. Actually, I think it is ridiculous, especially for a model that doesn't even have quattro. I'd spend a couple of grand more and pick up a B7 A4, myself.

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 04:32:50 PM »
DSG is better than manual
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
Re: Convince me not to get an A3!
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 04:58:37 PM »
Quote from: "aowhaus"

No!
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 05:18:06 PM »
The A3 3.2 V6 Quattro will be released towards the end of the year (see timeline below) with a $4,000 premium.  To my knowledge the Quattro is only available on the V6 and not the 2.0T.  The 2.0T is a sweet engine and should have more performance mod potential than the V6.

Not having Quattro/4-mo has not been a problem with me, as long as you have a dedicated set of good snow tires winter driving has been worry free.

I don't really like the A4 and sitting inside of it the A4 feels a little more clausterphobic than the A3, even though they are very close in size -- maybe because the hatch makes it feel more open and airy.

There's also a 3.2L A3 S-line coming out early next year.
Here are the specs from an Audi of America newsletter (faxed to all dealers):

"Most notably, we will be introducing a brand new model for the A3 with early October production - The A3 3.2. This vehicle comes standard with quattro, DSG transmission, and the S-Line package, and is very well equipped with a number of other standard features. The 3.2 250HP in this new A3 is shared with the TT 3.2.

Standard features of the A3 3.2 include:
- 17" Excalibur silver alloy wheels with all-season tires
- Front fog lights
- S-Line front and rear bumpers and S-Line badges
- Sport suspension
- sport seats with power driver seat and lumbar
- roof spoiler
- sound package with Bose premium sound system and 6-disc CD changer
- convenience package
- alloy air vents and radio buttons; brushed alloy inlays
- Three-spoke multifunction steering wheel with S-Line badge/alloy paddles
- illuminated vanity mirrors, driver/passenger reading lights, and lighted door open
Available options on the new 3.2 include:
- cold weather package
- rear side airbags
- open sky system
- satellite radio
- premium leather
- bi-xenon headlights
- DVD Navigation
- 18" 20-spoke wheels with performance tires
- Bluetooth phone preparation with voice control
- Bluetooth phone prep with voice control is available for ordering starting with late June production on the 2.0T model in conjunction with either the Premium or Sport package (and with 3.2 at its start of production)
- Bi-xenon lights will replace the Xenon lights option starting with early September production and are available on the 2.0T model in conjunction with the Premium or Sport package (and with the 3.2 at its start of production)

Word is getting around that it will be priced short of a TT 3.2L V6 ($42,000), so it will probably be around $38,000 -- pretty pricey, but since the S3 will not be available here it should fill a small niche.  I haven't heard of anything about the 2.0T S-Line though.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 05:21:49 PM »
Go for it!!!

I would like to have one for a project car, so if you get one, let me know.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2005, 05:28:29 PM »
Jeez, no love for the Passat here!
I'll probably take a A3 DSG for a spin this weekend.

I could always hold on to my Passat and wait for something better than the A3 to come along -- it will probably not be a VW though.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2005, 05:55:52 PM »
The only reason I would see not to get one is if you need the room in the B5.5 or if you were able to wait for the upcomming S3.  That'll be hot!
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2005, 06:26:24 PM »
I've heard the back seat room in the A3 is better than that of the B5 A4.
I've heard a few complaints about the sunroof and noise.
You've already addressed the no-quattro issue.
First model year normally is not the best for a new car due to quirks being worked out.
Depreciation and related new car financial crap.

That said, I think it'd be a great car for you.  quattro models will come with a 3.2.  The verdict is still out whether or not the 2.0T will be offered with quattro.  It likely depends on the sales of other A3s available in the states.
I really hope the 2.0T comes here with quattro eventually.  If so, I'm guessing that'll be my next car.  FWIW, the A3 weighs about as much as the B5 A4.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2005, 06:41:30 PM »
I'm also worried that there will tons of A3s on the road -- I want something different and unique (but I'd guess that's where the modding comes in).
The reason I bought my B5.5 over an A4 is because I would lose the A4 in the parking lot in Aspen (too many Audis up in the mountains).
The Kelley Blue Book trade in value of my car is $15,350, which I doubt the dealership would accept as a fair trade in price.

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2005, 09:59:35 PM »
For the same amount of money, you could get better handling, more power, and AWD from an STi or Evo.

Need I say more?

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2005, 10:31:24 PM »
Have you driven an STi or Evo?  They are not in the same class as any Audi I've ever driven.  Sure, they'll embarass it in terms of performance, but then again so will a crotch rocket or Elise.  It's all priorities, Steve.  If you want a capable car with some luxury, go Audi.  If you're only concerned about raw performance numbers, go Evo.  I know aowhaus, and I'm guessing he's not a raw peformance kind of guy.  He's way to sophisticated for that. :wink:
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2005, 11:27:31 PM »
Have you met Alan?

Need I say more? ;)

Seriously, I'm the same way - My car will get stomped by soo many similar sized 'pocket rockets' out there, but I like the styling, classiness, fit and finish of the Audi and I think it far outweighs raw performance. I drove a WRX when I was shopping and it just didn't fit. It had the power, but not the class. :D
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

evil_O

• Modded
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2005, 11:53:21 PM »
There were only two things that stopped me from looking at em when it was time for us to buy... again...lol:

1. Price
2. Currently not offering Quattro

If those were not issues.. I might be driving one of those instead... maybe  :D
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2005, 12:16:17 AM »
Quote from: "DenverPat"
I know aowhaus, and I'm guessing he's not a raw peformance kind of guy.  He's way to sophisticated for that. :wink:

Quote from: "aowhaus"
...I would lose the A4 in the parking lot in Aspen...

:lol:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2005, 01:38:03 AM »
I love the 2-door, and it wn't be available here.

4 door looks like a mini van.  How is that Alan?
Life's too short to be taken seriously

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2005, 01:43:28 AM »
Have you driven an STi or Evo?

Yes I have, and they handled better then any Audi could.  Now keep in mind that I went and drove the new A3 before I drove the Evo.  The A3 is a very nice car, but for the same amount of money, there are other cars on the market that are more reliable and sophisticated.  BMW, A4, etc.

Just my take on it though.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2005, 01:51:03 AM »
Quote from: "Scuba2001"
Have you driven an STi or Evo?

Yes I have, and they handled better then any Audi could.  Now keep in mind that I went and drove the new A3 before I drove the Evo.  The A3 is a very nice car, but for the same amount of money, there are other cars on the market that are more reliable and sophisticated.  BMW, A4, etc.

Just my take on it though.

I'm not sure I understand where you're coming from, Steve.  You say the STi and Evo handle better than any Audi could.  Why would you say that?  What is it about an Audi that would make it impossible to handle better than a Mitsubishi or Subaru?
Also, why would you say a BMW or A4 is more sophisticated than an A3?
-Chuck Patterson

Vanimaniac

• Stock
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2005, 02:14:13 AM »
Well the FWD would have more WHP than the Quattro, but I'd still rather have the quattro.

I love my wagon. I wouldn't trade it in for the A3.

Now the RS4 (maybe coming over next year?) is a whole different story!

Second mortgage here I come!

Van
here are three kinds of people, those that can count and those that can't.

scott

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2005, 11:30:09 AM »
I would wait at least 8 months to let others work out the bugs for you, and to bge honest I would consider waiting until the VW R36 comes out. It will be one helluva car, and you are only about a year or so from seeing it....

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2005, 12:27:51 PM »
Quote from: "Spicoli"
I love the 2-door, and it wn't be available here.

4 door looks like a mini van.  How is that Alan?

The A3 looks more like a chopped wagon than a minivan (I most of the SUVs out there look like minivans on steroids).

I love the look of the 2-door, but the 4-door still looks hot.  I went to school in Europe for a little while and I really love all those European and Japanese 4-door hatchback models they have there -- many of them versions of popular models we have here, such as Honda Accord, Mazda 323, 626, etc.  
The Passat I have is more room than I actually need -- granted I've hauled an entire large dresser in the closed trunk and with the seats down it could swallow a 12 foot ladder.   But at the most I need something that could stow snowboards and gear -- anything beyond that I'll rent a U-Haul van.

I'm definately waiting til next year, but I'll test drive one this weekend just for kicks.  I'm really hoping that Alfa Romeo will be back on our shores by 2007, but tensions between the struggling Fiat Group and GM (both have shared ownership of Alfa) means that the Alfa introduction will probably be infinately on hold.

The STi and EVO are impressive cars, but since this will be my only car I want something that has everything -- performance, comfort, luxury, practicality, and something that doesn't look like a riced up econobox.

Honestly there is no other cars that peak my interest out there, other than a Maserati Quattroporte, but that's a little out of my price range!  :D

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2005, 12:59:20 PM »
Quote from: "hotani"
Have you met Alan?

Need I say more? ;)

Seriously, I'm the same way - My car will get stomped by soo many similar sized 'pocket rockets' out there, but I like the styling, classiness, fit and finish of the Audi and I think it far outweighs raw performance. I drove a WRX when I was shopping and it just didn't fit. It had the power, but not the class. :D

I drove a WRX and an A4 before I got my Legacy GT. The Rex was faast, but loud and not very refined. (plus my ins would be dbl) The A4 was smooth and solid, but more expensive and not nearly as quick. My Legacy GT is damn quick (AW has it just under 14 secs in the 1/4 mi) and pretty comfortable, plus I was out the door for under 25k with AWD and a very well equipped car. With a few mods I can be pushing 300hp pretty quickly. :twisted:  Although it's not German iron, it is solid and well built. (My 97 Outback went 140k miles pretty much trouble free) Basically a WRX with class 8)  Of course now that I own one I am pretty biased, but IMHO it was the perfect balance... just my 2 cents.
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2005, 01:48:14 PM »
Damn, I have been photoshopping A3's (and other VW/Audi cars, and hot models) onto my architectural renderings at work these past few days.
It's driving me crazy!!!

I'd guess I really need to get an A3 (and laid!).
Just called McDonald and they have an A3 with DSG and Sky Roof, sweet!