Author Topic: Convince me not to get an A3!  (Read 11203 times)

TurboDub

• Modded
Convince me not to get an A3!
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2005, 02:08:22 PM »
"Convince me not to get an A3!"

Oh well I tried :lol:
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2005, 02:17:07 PM »
Though my family in Germany would probably disown me, I think the upcoming BMW 330i is awesome. I think we can all agree that the car is refined and luxurious. Not only that, but its engine propels the car to 60 in the mid- to high 5 second range, AND it comes standard with a manual transmission. Say what you want, DSG may be faster, but I'll take rowing through the gears any day. :)

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2005, 02:17:07 PM »

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2005, 02:33:05 PM »
Hmmm, lets see.... keeping both hands at 9-3 while INSTANTLY shifting with virtually no power loss via a little paddle vs taking one hand off the wheel, pushing a pedal, releasing another pedal, adjusting the two so the shift is smooth (mine still aren't smooth most of the time). Call me lazy but..... :D

Or just leave it in full auto mode and seamlessly blast through the gears without even touching the paddle shifters. Sounds extra yummy to me!
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2005, 02:43:58 PM »
Downshifts made lightening fast with the revs perfectly matched does sound like fun, hehe  :twisted:

Then again I can get that from my Gran Turismo4 :lol:
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

evil_O

• Modded
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2005, 04:08:09 PM »
Someone is getting reeeeeal close to buying something......

*tick tock*
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
Re: Convince me not to get an A3!
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2005, 04:48:12 PM »
Quote from: "aowhaus"
Nav system

Nobody else will find this as funny as I do, but I fell out of my chair. He NEEEEEEDS this. :D

Join the small car club. Buy It!

I've probably beaten this to death in person to many of you, but I love this car. All the refinements and comforts of Audi in a GTI sized package.

If it was availiable over here in 2-door I would be all up in that in a heart-beat. I have dreams of AOA bringing over a 2d S3 coupe or even an RS3 coupe but then I wake up...
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2005, 05:41:45 PM »
after driving the A3 and the Subaru legacy Gt.. I would give the Legacy GT the hand up. Not that i don't like the A3, but i really liked the Legacy GT, More power, lots of class, little price..

sediahaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2005, 05:42:41 PM »
Quote from: "scott"
I would wait at least 8 months to let others work out the bugs for you, and to bge honest I would consider waiting until the VW R36 comes out. It will be one helluva car, and you are only about a year or so from seeing it....

I agree with the waiting, first year cars always have things that need to be worked out.  the second year is usually better.  Just a thought though because if i had the money i'd buy a new golf right now despite my own advice.  If you want it get it!!!

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2005, 06:25:32 PM »
Alan, don't get your hopes up.  I called McDonald a few weeks ago and they told me they had five A3s, including a 3.2L.  Of course they didn't have the 3.2L, and they only had two A3s total.  Both were spec'd the same.  According to the guy on the phone, they were both "automatics."  :roll:
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2005, 06:33:11 PM »
Prestige had one on the showroom floor when I was in there last. It was completely stripped (as much as an Audi can be anyway), while the DSG/leather/sport models were sitting outside. They seemed to have a few around though.

scott

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2005, 08:43:52 PM »
I'd guess I really need to get an A3 (and laid!).
Just called McDonald and they have an A3 with DSG and Sky Roof, sweet!

If it was black, that got sold to a 719 guy last night..  8O

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2005, 08:50:48 PM »
Honestly there is no other cars that peak my interest out there, other than a Maserati Quattroporte, but that's a little out of my price range!  :D

But you said big promotion.   8O

I heard the phrase long ago -

"Drive German until you can afford Italian"   :D
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

scott

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2005, 08:58:36 PM »
Quote from: "gragravar"

oh HELL no... if I "upgraded" it would be to something like an Aston Martin... otherwise it will be German forever...

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2005, 09:54:47 PM »
Quote from: "gragravar"

No, no, it's drive cheap German until you can afford more expensive German...1998 Turbo S....Carrera GT......life is complete...

Oh, and my "No!" earlier should have been "No, I won't talk you out of buying an A3."  That A3 with the Caractre front end is sick!
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2005, 12:02:03 AM »
Quote from: "hotani"
Hmmm, lets see.... keeping both hands at 9-3 while INSTANTLY shifting with virtually no power loss via a little paddle vs taking one hand off the wheel, pushing a pedal, releasing another pedal, adjusting the two so the shift is smooth (mine still aren't smooth most of the time). Call me lazy but..... :D

Hey man, there's nothing like sticking with inefficient and outdated practices. Consider me the Amish man of automotive engineering.  Life can be better even if you have a harder time of getting it right. :)

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: Convince me not to get an A3!
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2005, 09:38:50 PM »
Alan I would have a tough time trying to talk you out of it as well.  The only things that I could say are:

1. Wait for the quattro.  Get the B5.5 Votex parts you want and you can always sell them when you return to stock.

2. It's a great car, but see what a year or so does to the opinions on them.  Plus, in that time, the aftermarket will have more choices for you.

3. Yo momma.  Yo momma called me to have me tell you to clean yo room.

::)
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2005, 02:14:06 AM »
Stopped by the McDonald Audi last Saturday.  Unfortunately they had no A3s available (one was sold yesterday and the other one is on some kind of loan), but I did have a great talk with Mort, one of the sales people there (and happens to own a GTI 1.8T and his wife a Jetta VR6).
They are expecting more A3s to trickle in through out this month.

Mort gave me some interesting suggestions on equipping my A3:
Take the 2.0L over the 3.2L V6 quattro.  The V6Q is a $4,000 premium and weighs 180 more pounds, also has less fuel ecomony.

The sound of the base stereo is not very good, but instead of paying $900 for the Bose option, Mort recommends a nearby custom stereo shop/installer to upgrade the speakers and amps which will cost much less and sound just as good (he has been referring all his customers to this place, which I forgot the name).

I was a bit disappointed with the Audi Nav System, as it was tedious to use and the display is pretty small.   I just love the Nav system on the Acuras with the easy to use large touch screen, and the Audi system is something I definately don't want to operate while driving.  Mort agrees, especially at $1950.  Also with the Nav system, the 6-disc changer moves from the HU to the glove box which takes up storage space and is a little harder to access from the driver's seat.

The verdict is still out on the Sky View Roof option.  I heard of noticable wind noise even when closed from new owners.  There is no conventional sunroof option available.  I really like how the roof panel is all black (like mine  8) ) and looks really sharp on silver, which is funny because Mort suggest I get a dark color so that the black roof doesn't stand out -- I'm sure that's personal taste.

I asked about the V6Q availability, which I understand should be available in December.  Mort didn't know and had to refer to his FAQ binder, which he later confirmed.  He didn't know if I could make an order for one in advance as he doesn't even have the option list and order specs for it.

Summary:
I'm going to wait until the V6Q comes out and make a verdict.  Like I said I'm still happy with my Passat (and it's paid off), so I'm in no hurry to get a new car.  As much as I like getting a new model when it's introduced, I agree with your suggestion on waiting a year so that they work out some of the bugs and maybe some interesting new options or features may show up as well (like on the B5.5).
...but I'm also itching to get the Votex kit for my Passat!  :?
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2005, 04:09:54 PM »
I would disagree with Mort on the stereo.  The Bose stuff is great and to get the same sound as it would give you, it will cost you a lot more than $900 after you factor in labor, etc.  Labor on speakers and wire would be near $500 easy.  I have heard audi's Bose system, just not the A3 one.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2005, 04:11:43 PM »
I have the Bose system in my B5 A4.  It was a $1,000 option.  I bought the car used, but if I were to have bought it new, I would have skipped the Bose option and gone aftermarket.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2005, 04:28:30 PM »
I've listened to the Bose in Cole's S4 and thought it sounded great (enough for me, i'm not too picky). If mine had come with it I would not have needed to add anything. In my car I simply added a 10" sub in a trunk box with a 200w amp, modified the built-in EQ settings and am satisfied.

Maybe you could get away with something similar in the A3, but keep in mind, unless you want to do some serious fiber work to build the sub into the 'wall' you're going to lose precious cargo space. Factory is nice because it sounds decent and they've already hidden and tucked the sub(s) out of the way for you.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2005, 04:33:43 PM »
Go aftermarket and have an aftermarket Nav system put in. Something custom mounted and OEM looking, but way better.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2005, 04:40:14 PM »
^^ $$$cha-CHING!$$$

Only thing stopping me from doing it! :lol:

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2005, 05:32:36 PM »
On the BOSE note: When I was looking at A4s back in '00, I was contemplating picking up a brand new '01 A4 1.8T.  I worked at McDonald Audi/VW back then, and Ken Kanazu still worked there. He was a cool guy, and I talked to him a bit here and there, so I was going to buy a car from him. I made a huge deal about the BOSE stereo, and he recommended I sit in an A4 with Bose and then in an A4 without Bose. Hands down, I preferred the A4 without Bose.  Let me clarify that BOSE did sound better, but not $850 better.  That was back for MY01, but still...it didn't think the extra $850 was worth it.

Ben

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2005, 07:43:34 PM »
Ok, one more 'Devils advocate' comment....

Have you thought about the Sabaru? I've heard that with the GM discounts people are getting them for stupid cheap - like around $20k. 8O I'm not sure if that is Aero or not - I would want the Aero for sure.

Anyway, it looks like a nice stylish package, plenty fast, AWD... worth a look I think. Its the WRX with refinement and a healthy dousing of class.

EDIT: okay, yeah it is the Aero going for $20k - this is straight off the saab site:

Saab Employee Discount Price for 2005 Saab 9-2X

Selected Style:    Aero
Saab Employee Discount Price: (approx.)    $19,425.00

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2005, 07:49:29 PM »
Saabaru?!  :?

I don't care for Saabs, I'd rather keep my B5.5 instead.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2005, 07:51:42 PM »
I sat in one at the dealership - it had black leather interior with silver inserts a la Audi S4 - very nice. :)

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2005, 08:00:10 PM »
Well we drove those cars at the Saab Proving Grounds driving event and the autos were absolutely terrible acceleration wise. That would mean Alan would have to start rowing.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2005, 08:07:48 PM »
Yeah that is NOT a good engine to be mated with auto. It has enough lag as a manual!

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2005, 11:33:44 PM »
Quote from: "shummer"
Well we drove those cars at the Saab Proving Grounds driving event and the autos were absolutely terrible acceleration wise. That would mean Alan would have to start rowing.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that.
I thought almost all of the cars there were better than the 9-2x (Jetta 1.8T, Mini Cooper, Acura RSX base, and Volvo S40).  I had high hopes for the 9-2x because I like the performance of the WRX but didn't like the cheapness and econobox styling -- however, they didn't go far enough to make it more Saab-like (comfortable seats, center console mounted ignition, and quality of interior trim) and it seemed like it didn't have as much go as the WRX.

I really like the Volvo S40, even with the base engine it felt faster and more competant than the 9-2x with the more powerful engine.  The S40 gets pretty pricey when fully equipped though.

This baby caught my eye:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4560520422&category=5345&rd=1
I don't like the grey interior unfortunately.

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2005, 10:05:56 AM »
Alan - i just got my new European Car mag and there is a write up on the 2.0t A3 and it was well received.  Read it if you get a chance.  They really liked it overall.