Author Topic: Chip Experiences  (Read 2849 times)

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Chip Experiences
« on: July 11, 2005, 07:45:47 PM »
Sorry guys I know that this has probably been beaten to death a million times, but I would like input from this group on YOUR experience with YOUR particular chip upgrade.  I believe we have a good mix of people with different companies, REVO, APR, GIAC, Split Second, etc.

So if you can please post your personal experiences with what you run in your car that would be great, including strengths and weaknesses you feel about your particular program.  If we can leave out the "I heard this...", or "This person told me..." stuff we could compile a good set of opinions that can help present (ME) and future members make an educated decision on this upgrade.

Thanks in advance,
Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Chip Experiences
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 07:48:29 PM »
are you looking for specific 1.8T input, or 2.7T as well?  My guess would be specific to the 1.8T...

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Chip Experiences
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 07:48:29 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Chip Experiences
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 07:56:03 PM »
It has been beaten to death, I hate to say it, but I would use the search function for this one, there are a fair number of posts. I found quite a few results using searches such as:

chip experience

what chip

which chip

and so on. The only reason I recommend doing this is that those that have responded to these requests countelss times will either not respond or give you a much more watered down response than they may hve 4 times ago.

Since we want everyone to be as educated as possible I would definitley use the search.  Of course there is always newer information coming out and as expected that will probably get posted here as it is read.

Plus, this is a great opportunity for the newly chipped to speak up about their experiences. :)

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Chip Experiences
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 07:57:26 PM »
I guess I'll start.  I had a Split Second Boost Controller in my 01" Jetta 1.8T.  It allowed me to adjust from stock boost up to about 15psi.  It was nice because I could turn it down in the winter to help control wheel spin, but turn it up when I wanted the extra ponies.  It made the 150hp turbo motor feel like the 180hp one I have in my Gti, although in the Jetta the torque was a lot stronger down low, compared to my stock Gti.

The biggest problem I had with the boost controller was ths adjustment knob on the back.  It is used to calibrate how quickly boost came on.  I never quite figured it out.  It either slowly built, or came on all at once.  It was nice considereing it came with the car when I bought it, so I didn't have to take the time to install the many wires it takes to hook it up.  And for only $200 it's a pretty cost effective upgrade.

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Chip Experiences
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 08:09:35 PM »
Any experience would be fine.  There are more than just 1.8t's in this club.  

Also I tried searching here and on vortex, but haven't found anything worthwhile.  At least on vortex all I find is "That company sucks, you have to get this".  I also value your opinions more than those I don't know.

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
Chip Experiences
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 08:18:28 PM »
Ever since installing my APR chip I've had a "Checksum error."  No big deal to me, but maybe to others.  I'm real happy with the chip, and glad I got the solder in kind opposed to the Direct Port Programming (I also got the stock and 91 octane programs).  It allows me to update the software on my own (with the cable I purchased at the same time) as well as do my own tuning with their V-tune program.  I did the chip after doing exhaust, and found that the programming responded better the more mods I did (the most notible being the 4-bar FPR).  From the research that I have done, I would recommend either GIAC or APR because of the performance gains (a GIAC X-chip put down more power at the 1.8t challenge than I did even though we had comprable mods).  If you want to see what the APR, with additional mods, can do, you can come drive mine.

Ian
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

shummer

• Modded
Chip Experiences
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 08:32:58 PM »
Very informative thread at passastworld:

Chip Upgrade FAQ

Here was my review over a year ago:

Year: 2000

Engine/Engine Code 1.8T Tiptronic/ATW

mileage/mileage with chip: 50000 miles/40000 miles chipped

Chip details: APR v3.0 EMCS - i) stock, ii) 91 octane, iii) valet, iv) 100 octane, Fault Code Erase/Throttle Body Alignment, and Security Lockout.

Review:

Pros: Plenty of power to chirp the tires at the end of 1st/beginning of 2nd with stock suspension and tires. Thought that was impressive since it's an automatic. Switching between programs (using the cruise control buttons) for dealer visits, bad weather, and track days is my favorite feature.

Cons: At the time, there was no local dealer in CO (now there is) so I had to mail my ECU to AL. I was without a car for essentially 3 days.

Review on Customer service: Excellent customer service. Was promised race and valet programs for free once developed - unavailable at time of purchase. 2 years passed, programs were developed, and APR employee who promised me the free programs no longer worked there. Another employee verified the letter from ex-employee and honored the promise.

price paid: $573

additional details: Denver, CO. The chip does wonders at altitude. No complaints about the chip. The weak components (i.e. DV, vacuum hoses, MAF) become very evident once chipped.

BHase

• Modded
Chip Experiences
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 10:22:16 PM »
I'll humor this post, just so I can justify never, ever posting about my chip experiences again in the future!

Engine: 2.8 30-valve V6 (non-Drive By Wire)

Chip Make: GIAC

Claimed HP Increase: 10-12 HP

Claimed LB/FT Increase: 10-12 LB/FT

Cost (Total w/ Overnight): $336

Seller: PES Tuning (http://HTTP://www.pes-tuning.com)

Significant Problems: None

Review: Being a long-time member of Audiworld.com, I was very skeptical about any of the tuning I wanted to do on my 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro.  There were at the time only a few members brave enough to spend the money on engine performance tuning for the 2.8, and many of those (such as djnelsen) who posted their reviews, were laughed at and their own claims patently rejected.  After having done several other upgrades, I will say that the chip isn't the best upgrade available for this engine, but it is worth the $300 you pay for it (from GIAC).  I felt that it mitigated the power loss 2.8 V6 drivers feel in the 2500-3500 RPM range (also often referred to with other numbers), and I felt that the difference was noticeable.  

Satisfied?: Ja!

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
Chip Experiences
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 01:00:12 AM »
APR chip 300whp.  58k miles.   no problems with the chip.  

BTW, did I mention I have more than just an apr chip?
Life's too short to be taken seriously

Eric

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.setuning.com
Chip Experiences
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 03:25:12 AM »
more than satisfied with my REVO chip

E

evil_O

• Modded
Chip Experiences
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 03:30:43 AM »
I like my APR a LOT - other than the error codes it keeps throwing :lol:

Seems to be particular to my setup though - 04/4MO/1.8T/Tip - go figure.  Erroneous codes that are apparently nothing more than an annoyance.

Customer service with APR has been great and they are working with SCR to get a new flash for me to resolve the error codes.

I got fully loaded at DATR for 650.  Worth every penny so far...
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."