Author Topic: Won't Engage into Reverse! Stuck in Park!!  (Read 1724 times)

Grizz_Man

• n00balicious
Won't Engage into Reverse! Stuck in Park!!
« on: July 12, 2005, 11:57:41 PM »
My g/f has on 04 Jetta GLS.  It shows the brake sign on the dash and won't disegage when you push the brake in.  Its stuck in park and don't know much about the Jetta.  Plz help!!

:D

- James

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 12:24:26 AM »
Is it parked on a hill or grade?

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 12:24:26 AM »

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 12:26:30 AM »
I don't know much about the automatics, but on our old corolla there was a cap at the top of the shifter housing that I could pry out.  Within this was a leverl that I could depress with a screwdriver that would bypass the brake lock.  I'll see if I can find something in the Bentley's.  Is it under warranty?

Edit:  Looking through the Bentley's as well as the owner's manual I could not find reference to a brake bypass switch.  What I did find is that there are two locking mechanisms: one mechanical and one electro-mechanical.  The mechanical shift lock cable runs from the ignition, the electro -mechanical is from the brake.  From the sounds of it, either could be the root of the problem.  Do you get brake lights when you step on the brakes?  If not, I would suspect the electro-mechanical portion.  If you do get brake lights, I would suspect the shift lock cable from the ignition, although that isn't a forgone conclusion.  There are a lot of other pieces in the puzzle that allows the shifter to initially work, both at their respective switch points, and also at the shifter housing itself.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 01:00:37 PM »
No, there is a bypass switch.  When I worked at McDonald Audi/VW, we constantly had people bring in their VWs and Audis that had stalled up their transmissions due to torque lock-up.  A good way to avoid torque lock-up in the future is to come to a complete stop before switching gears...i.e., if you back out of your driveway, come to a complete stop before throwing it into drive from reverse.  Just an example.

The bypass switch should be just past your steering column (underneath). At least, that's where it always was back on the 00-01 Jettas.

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay