Author Topic: AWD wagons  (Read 5426 times)

jfrahm

• Modded
AWD wagons
« on: July 13, 2005, 09:06:08 PM »
I'm still kicking around the idea of geting a different daily driver.

The smart thing for me to do is to probably sell my Passat and get a sub $10K used AWD wagon.  that would get me the all-weather capability of the Passat 4motion with a wagon back, and save on taxes, insurance and car payments.

One trouble spot is that the new car deals make selling a used car with 7K miles on it probably not worth doing.

Assuming that could be done, I could then search for a good AWD wagon in decent shape.  Cars that come to mind are:

Audi A6 2.8 Quattro (Generally $8-10K in OK shape with 100K miles)
I do not know how well the auto trans holds up on these, or if they can be found with a five speed.

Subaru Outback, about the same price, less power?  With the winter package you get a rear LSD.

Volvo?  I do not know if their AWD stuff is cheap enough yet.

I could also go older and cheaper.  Outbacks with a zillion miles on them can be had for $5k ish.  There are also some Audi 100/200 or 5000 wagons out there but those might be too troublesome.

Any other suggestions?
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
AWD wagons
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 09:43:45 PM »
how often do you really need all wheel drive in the denver metro area?  I can only think of 3 to 5 times a year where it really makes a difference over a front wheel drive car with good tires.

The money lost on the new car is not saving money....it will only look like saving money.  Again, I will hold my ground and say...stick with what you got, and just enjoy it.  If you are really wanting to save money, sell a porsche ;)

Rocky Mountain Club B5

AWD wagons
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 09:43:45 PM »

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
AWD wagons
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 12:22:31 AM »
I just saw a W8 wagon on the way home.  I didn't knwo they made them in wagons... it was a hot car.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
AWD wagons
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 02:14:03 AM »
older A6s; previous body style, they would be stupid cheap now - but will have tons of miles. This would be a 95 or 96.

Old suby wagons are everywhere - not much power but the 2.5GTs are decent. Good luck finding one in a wagon!

Volvo does have older AWD cars, the 870 comes to mind, but most were not AWD. There was an 'R' variant, but again, good luck finding one.

Or you could go A4 wagon. There would be plenty of older 2.8s around in your price range i bet, years 96-98 or 99 depending on mileage.

HTH
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
AWD wagons
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 02:16:16 AM »
Quote from: "Spicoli"
I just saw a W8 wagon on the way home.  I didn't knwo they made them in wagons... it was a hot car.

Like this maybe? ;) yeah, total hotness.

(edit: replaced pic coz other one broke.)

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
AWD wagons
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 02:18:13 AM »
Quote from: "hotani"
Quote from: "Spicoli"

They had one that color with a six speed at Huberger for a while.

Just step up to total baller satus and get your self a V70R
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
AWD wagons
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 03:03:25 AM »
Quote from: "hotani"

Yes, but it was silver, or maybe Jason's color.  But yes, pure hotness.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

jfrahm

• Modded
AWD wagons
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 03:10:16 AM »
I don't *NEED* AWD but I really like having it.  I've had an AWD or full-time capable 4wd in the fleet for the last 13 years.  I love being able to get around in all kinds of bad weather.   FWD does not compare.

-Joel.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
AWD wagons
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 10:59:36 AM »
Quote from: "blueGOLFturbo"

Awwwwww.....yeah. I'm not even gonna get started on the S60R :twisted:

You also might want to look at the 850R which is a wagon, but stupid fast. I've read some wicked cool stuff about that car in the past.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
AWD wagons
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 11:21:42 AM »
Uh, just found by accident in CO!  8O It was posted up last month on S60R.net:

Due to recent extended unimployment must sell our "baby"... 2004 V70R wagon - 1847 miles - mint - Navigation, Dual Power Seats, Premium Sound - Charcoal with blue leather, loaded and hasn't had first regular oil change - $38500

Colorado -

data2@mesanetworks.net

Lin
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jfrahm

• Modded
AWD wagons
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 12:18:11 PM »
The V70R is cool, but it'd represent too much of my disposable income.  I have looked at some 20v S6 Avants in the papers and ebay.  Neat cars but a bit expensive for a somewhat troublesome high mileage wagon.  The performance of the Passat is fine for a daily driver, less would be acceptable.    I have thought about an A6 4.2 or 2.7T, the 2.7T can be had for $12K - $14K but I think it'd be a bit hard to live with as an older higher-mileage car.  If I found one with bad turbos for a bargain I could see dropping the motor and sorting it out.  The 4.2 I expect is a pretty dependable lump but the initial cost is still quite high.  Once the outlay for the wagon gets high the economics of switching cars does not look as good.

One possibility is a new car, the trade-in on my Passat is very high ($21K in 'good' condition, and it's only got 7K miles on it.)  I don't know if I could sell it for $20k.  There is a similar car to mine that has been in the paper for a while now from a private owner at $19,9K.  I'd have to get about $20K for my car for this to make sense.  If I got a bit more luxury and utility out of my new car the monthly payment would be easier to deal with.  Plus there are some low APR deals which would help.

If nothing else it's fun to look.
-Joel.

evil_O

• Modded
AWD wagons
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 12:21:05 PM »
Quote from: "jfrahm"

If nothing else it's fun to look.
-Joel.

Now THAT is just the kind of thing that always gets me in trouble.
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
AWD wagons
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 12:25:59 PM »
Quote from: "jfrahm"
I have looked at some 20v S6 Avants in the papers and ebay.  Neat cars but a bit expensive for a somewhat troublesome high mileage wagon.

Exactly. That's the first thing I thought of but knew it was out of the range you wanted to stay in for your wagon. Those cars were only made in 1995 (there is a 1995.5 version too), have great power, awesome mod potential but are so rare the prices have stayed well above 10k.

And yeah, looking gets you into trouble. ;)

BHase

• Modded
AWD wagons
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 01:47:18 PM »
You can get the A6 2.8 (30-valve) with a 5-speed manual, but they are excruciatingly difficult to find.  Comparable to trying to find an A6 2.7T or an A4 2.8 5-speed.  The engine is great...the Tiptronic has some problems. I'd go 5-speed (wait, I already did).

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
AWD wagons
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 04:07:36 PM »
Quote from: "jayryan"
Quote from: "blueGOLFturbo"

Awwwwww.....yeah. I'm not even gonna get started on the S60R :twisted:

Oh man, I get to see an S60R about 2 or 3 times a week, this lady that works two doors down from us has a silver one. I smile and wave but she just looks at me like im retarded. :roll:

EDIT: Sometimes their is a RS6 on BBS CH's that is parked down thier next to it, I think that dood owns the building, dont see him very much.

Hot hot cars every where.
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
AWD wagons
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 04:43:42 PM »
There was one for sale (green) on our drive up 285 this past weekend...if I remember correctly it was $8600...
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
AWD wagons
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 10:07:30 PM »
Quote from: "ianacole"
There was one for sale (green) on our drive up 285 this past weekend...if I remember correctly it was $8600...

WHAT?! An S60R for $8600?? Damn, where? I"m gonna get it :lol:

That can't be right. They've only been out since what? '02, 03? Even those used are going for over $20K
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Vanimaniac

• Stock
AWD wagons
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2005, 03:59:23 AM »
Did someone say AWD wagon???  :P

You won't regret getting a B6 Wagon!! I sure don't!!

Van
here are three kinds of people, those that can count and those that can't.

Vanimaniac

• Stock
AWD wagons
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2005, 04:34:05 AM »
Seriously though.
How bout:

Late 80's Honda Civic AWD wagon.

This particular one is for sale at under $1000!

For a little class and some SERIOUS room:
Late 90's Mercedes Benz Eclass wagon 4-matic

Here's one on ebay for 12 grand.
[web]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ONE-OWNER-THIRD-SEAT-CLEAN-CAR-FAX-CERT_W0QQitemZ4562272219QQcategoryZ6335QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/web]

And lastly, one of my favorite cars of all time:
Mid 80's AMC Eagle 4x4

I'd rock one of these in a heartbeat!

Van
here are three kinds of people, those that can count and those that can't.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
AWD wagons
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2005, 11:44:48 PM »
Quote from: "jayryan"
Quote from: "ianacole"

WHAT?! An S60R for $8600?? Damn, where? I"m gonna get it :lol:

That can't be right. They've only been out since what? '02, 03? Even those used are going for over $20K

No, sorry, I shold have been clearer.  It was and Audi...96 or 98, if I remember correctly.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

BHase

• Modded
AWD wagons
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2005, 01:56:41 AM »
I think I remember the one. Dark green. Looked decent enough from the outside, but that's judging from a "flyby," as I will term any passing we did during the drive.

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

TurboDub

• Modded
AWD wagons
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2005, 04:27:53 AM »
Quote from: "Vanimaniac"
Did someone say AWD wagon???  :P

You won't regret getting a B6 Wagon!! I sure don't!!

Van

Holy crap I'd get outta the way of that thing 8O

540i mmm

or I like the wagon version of these too...  :twisted:  

Of course if it HAS to be AWD... :twisted:  :evil:  8)

Okay so i'm way off base on the pricing target of this original thread ...sorry bout that. But seriously, my 97 Outback went 140k worry free...though it ain't exactly sexy, it's definitely a good car for daily driving

09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

jfrahm

• Modded
AWD wagons
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2005, 11:08:22 PM »
Overcome by the media barrage pimping the leftover 05 cars, I went and looked at new Subies today.  Impressive.  I'd seen Jeremy's 2.5GT Wagon at a coffee meet, very shap car.  Tasteful and understated.  I drove an Outback XT, 2.5l turbo 5 speed.  I think it's the same as a GT but with more ground clearance.  I was very impressed with the engine and trans, it's got plenty of low end torque and a good top-end rush.  Easy to shift, good clutch.  Easier to drive in traffic than the Passat 1.8T, unless you slip the clutch a lot in the Passat.  More road noise than the Passat.  Less front interior room (at least width-wise) the Passat has a more open feel.  The Outback has a lot more gound clearance and I do not know how handy that would be.   The GT is better looking and perhaps somewhat cheaper.

The gauges on the Subie are easier to read but a bit too stylish.  The stereo, well it's kinda plasticy, like a cheap portable radio.  Since it has a six disc in-dash changer I wonder if there is an easy way to connect a portable without resorting to an RF link.  It's integrated into the dash in a way that makes it look hard to replace.  

The Passat interior is generally more pleasing, and I think the Subie will have a mode dated appearance sooner.

I was tired of dealing with the salesdroids so I did not drive the GT wagon.  It might have too sporty a ride for my wants.

Bottom Line?  Neat car but I do not know if I'd pay what I'd have to in order to make the deal.   I was really impressed with the motor and it is a sharp looking car.  My first impression is that it's not desireable enough to warrant the additional cost and the cost of changing cars.

Another new car does seem like a longshot, but all the ads for cheap new cars were getting to me.   Sadly the deals on new cars probably also make the Passat hard to get the money out of.  It'd be interesting to see what a trade offer would be.  Too bad the cars I would be excited enough to go out and buy new are big piles of money.  I might consider a newish used car with low mileage and an extended warranty.

-Joel.

BHase

• Modded
AWD wagons
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2005, 01:10:28 PM »
Don't forget that GM, Ford, and Chrysler are all doing employee pricing programs now.  I don't know how many wagons are still available from those carmakers.  I know there's at the least the Dodge Magnum, which I think is pretty cool.  You wouldn't necessarily have to get an R/T Hemi version.  Umm...GM builds that Malibu Maxx, but that's not really a wagon so much as a strange variation on a 4-door hatchback.  I don't know about Ford...do they still do Taurus station wagons, or is that done?

And is it just me, or is nobody else that excited about the Ford and GM car line-ups either?  

Ben

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
AWD wagons
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2005, 01:44:21 PM »
ewww, no dodge magnum please - that thing is fuuuuuuuuuugly!!! :P

Speaking of GM discounts... at the risk of sounding like a skipping CD... the saabaru Aero is going for <$20k. 8O - that's a WRX with the Saab fixins, I'd check it out if I were shopping right now.

BHase

• Modded
AWD wagons
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2005, 01:49:30 PM »
Audi, VW, Audi, VW, Audi, VW, Audi, VW, Audi, VW.

Sorry, I had to compensate for all the times "Subaru" or the like has been said on this thread.  :?

Ben

evil_O

• Modded
AWD wagons
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2005, 01:52:21 PM »
Quote from: "BHase"

Sorry, I had to compensate for all the times "Subaru" or the like has been said on this thread.  :?

Ben

rotflmao..... that is funny...

I wonder why it/they have been mentioned soooo many times?   :wink:
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

BHase

• Modded
AWD wagons
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2005, 01:58:48 PM »
Quote from: "evil_O"
Quote from: "BHase"

Ben

rotflmao..... that is funny...

I wonder why it/they have been mentioned soooo many times?   :wink:

Some sort of highly contagious, infectious Japanese disease?  :D

Well, it could be worse...we could be chanting, "Hyundai, Hyundai, Hyundai".  

Ben

jfrahm

• Modded
AWD wagons
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2005, 01:59:47 PM »
Before I got the Passat I drove a Malibu Maxx.  I got lured in 'cause they had them in the paper for $14.5K.  Naturally they told me on the phone they still had the $14.5K ad car, but when I got there it was the first one on the board as sold.  It sold right when they opened.  I had been looking at Saab 9-3's and the Malibu is the same platform, and supposedly the wagon version was going to be made into a 9-3 wagon in a year or two.  The car is OK, kinda basic.  Good power (200HP V6) but in a loud, buzzy, cheap-sounding way.  No AWD option.  I asked about buying one at the ad price (they have 4-5 more identical to the ad car down to color and options) but they said it had to be $16,500.  I did not care to pay $2000 more than a guy who bought the same car a couple hours ago paid.  How does that sales technique ever work?  "I've got the deal for you.  Same car, but $2000 more!  Sound good?"

I'm still holding on to AWD though.  I enjoy it too much.
Maybe in a year or so I'll get a used A6 4.2 if they hold up OK.  The 2.7T would be fun but I'd probably have to plan for more repairs.

-Joel.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
AWD wagons
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2005, 01:59:55 PM »
Well I'm sure if all of us had unlimited resources we'd be driving S4s,  RS6s and S8s! But, uh.... we don't. :(

I've had my B6 S4 avant picked out for a couple years now, just waiting for that $50k check to show up... and waiting... and waiting... :P

Did I mention the saabaru? oh, i did... nevermind.