Author Topic: Vacuum hose screw clamp installation.  (Read 2569 times)

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Vacuum hose screw clamp installation.
« on: September 07, 2003, 09:42:34 PM »
I know that it is not hard to put clamps on a hose, but I found a way that may make life a bit easier during installation.  The following instruction will make the actuall install of the clamps a breeze.  Thanks to Chas for his thought and inspiration.

I bought 8 of the smallest hose clamps from Home Depot (UPC# 078575126029) that I could find.  I found them on the sprinkler isle.  I then used a piece of left over silcone tubing from the vacuum job that I recently did and inserted the shaft of a philips screwdriver that was about the same diameter as the plugs on the engine.  I then put the clamp over the hose/screwdriver section and tightened down the screw and used a pair of pliers to maintain a roundness and kept turning the screw and moulding until it was locked down.  I then took a pair of wire cutters and clipped off the excess clamp at a 45 degree angle to keep sharp corners at a minimum.  I then removed the clamp and used the pliers to try to bring the clamp as close to round as I could.

Durning the installation, I tried to place the screw head in a position that I knew would be easy to get to if I needed.  The pictures will show what I am talking about.  The only one that was a bit awkward was the hose going to the back of the engine.  I had to face that one down and come up from underneath with the screwdriver.  Make sure that the exhaust assy. is cool for that one

If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!