Author Topic: HELP! My computer was infected  (Read 2225 times)

WendyDarling

• n00balicious
HELP! My computer was infected
« on: August 26, 2003, 12:16:19 PM »
Ok so last week I saw the alerts on that Blast thing...looked on that alphabetized list, didn't see it there, downloaded the patch or whatever, then went on my merry way.  Last two days my laptop shut down a couple times after being inactive or whatever, but I never got around to checking it out.  Last night, laptop was working a-ok; this morning I try to boot it up, and all I get is a "Operating System Not Found" on the black screen.  [Heavy sigh]  So can I fix it without losing all of my pictures, music, etc. that is on my hard drive?  I want to weep :(  

Also, should I do anything special to the other computers on our home network to protect them?  Obviously I didn't protect my laptop well enough...

~Computer Retarded Wendy

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 01:33:56 PM »
...oh the pain...! I'm sorry Wendy, unfortunately, I've been out of the whole computer thing for a couple of months, so I don't know what's going on...
My best guess (and that's not worth much) is that your information is still intact on the hard drive if only the operating system is missing...now as far as accessing that information...that's where my suggestions ends...I don't know enough about the virus to know what it does...
But there's other's here I'm sure who are much more qualified to answer your question than little old me... :wink:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 01:33:56 PM »

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2003, 01:35:39 PM »
Wendy, I am sorry.  Check the Amanda-school thread for my $.02.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2003, 01:49:46 PM »
Firewall Software (prevents incoming/outgoing unauthorized data from being transmitted):

Wendy, get the Zone Alarm program here:

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?lid=zadb_zadown

This is the free version.

Virus software (scans and blocks viruses):
www.mcafee.com
www.symantec.com
www.grisoft.com (free version)
www.free-av.com (free version)
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.