Author Topic: Got the car back....  (Read 1712 times)

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Got the car back....
« on: August 27, 2003, 01:37:41 PM »
Everything looks good except one area above the painted trim on the door.  The clearcoat has rippled a bit right at the edge of where the trim and the door meet.  I you look at it striaght on, you can't see it, at an angle, you can.  I will stop by tomorrow morning and have them look at it and see how much time it will take to correct.

I also have an appointment with Mountain States next Tuesday to look at the CEL and Emissions Workshop errors and possibly fix it if I don't think that I can.

Other than that, it is nice to have her back.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Got the car back....
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2003, 02:56:39 PM »
Troubleshooting time!

Dave, what details can you give me on the CEL issue?  I think I have seen every issue I can on my car with these...so I might be able to help you get this fixed.

W
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Got the car back....
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2003, 02:56:39 PM »

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Got the car back....
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2003, 03:29:41 PM »
Thanks Winston.
All I can say is that it came on while driving to the grocery store a couple of weeks back.  At that same time I was having engine surging at idle.  I went ahead and cleaned the MAF due to a cleaning/oiling of the K&N air filter this last spring.  I thought I was being conservative with the oil and also with getting rid of the excess.  Anyway, the MAF was slightly dirty and I went ahead and cleaned it.  That got rid of the surging, which was nice.  I cleared the CEL by disconnecting the negative lead on the battery for a couple of minutes and started her up.  It idle the CEL did not come back up and it stayed off while driving for about three miles, then it came back on.  That is when I started looking at my vacuum hoses ala' Jays garge day.  I used some of the silcone hose that Andrew had to change the two hoses comming off the intake manifold.  I did not have time for the other two.  I got home and once again cleared the code and started back up with the same results as before.  Last night I chaged out the hose that went to the back of the engine.  No difference.  I have not changed the DV hose yet.  Out of the three hoses, none really looked like they were cracked or damaged.  I was going to try the DV hose this weekend.  Only other thing I can think of is maybe an O2 sensor.  The car drives fine and actually feels a bit more responsive since changing some of the vacuum hoses.  Any clue?  I have a 7:30a appointment with Mountain States to have them look and the error code and let me know what it is before any work is to be done.  Chas replied to me yesterday that he would be happy to assist with a VAG-COM.  I have left him my contact mumbers to get a hold of me.  

Is this detailed enough. 8O  :D

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Got the car back....
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2003, 04:33:26 PM »
Dave,

That should be enough.  Have you changed your DV yet?  I got my first CEL right before the National GTG last year.  I changed my DV and it went away for a little while.  I got chipped and it came back.

So the DV was responsible for the first one.  Once I got chipped the point of failure was either the hoses, the MAF or something else.  Once I got my A/F gauge, I could tell it was MAF related since my readings were all over the place.

I ended up getting a new one and that solved my problems.  So here is the order I would follow to fix this, hopefully yourself:

1. Hoses, replace with 3.5 or 4mm vaccum hose.
2. DV replace with the 710N (yours will say the part# is xxxxxx710 with something other than N).  If you take this off and you can easily push down the diaphragm, it's time to replace it.
3. If those three don't do it, and your air filter is clean, I would highly suspect the MAF.  You can order one from Tim at Liberty for ~$158 instead of the $250 they charge at the dealer.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Got the car back....
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2003, 05:43:45 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

1. Last hose is the DV and all hoses are the 3.5mm from hosetechniques.com.
2. Replaced the DV valve with an Audi TT DV last fall.  I believe it was the 710N version.
3. I have suspected the MAF sensor just about from the get go.  That is why I would like to hook up with Chas or at least have the dealership tell me about it and then I can get one from Tim.

At least the car is still running and I am finding this a great learning experience.