Author Topic: Help! HID addiction!  (Read 2867 times)

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Help! HID addiction!
« on: July 11, 2005, 09:41:43 PM »
Ok, now that I have the HIDs on the B5, I want HIDs for everything.  I recently caught myself pricing HID lights for my bike (ahem, mountain bike, not even a motorcycle) and check out what I found for the Landcruiser (has 7" lights)

http://www.suvlights.com/
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Help! HID addiction!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 12:33:18 AM »
Do It! Do It!
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Help! HID addiction!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 12:33:18 AM »

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Help! HID addiction!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 01:44:11 AM »
it will double as a heater/handwarmer.

I really like my LED headlamp for night hiking and biking -- then again I have LEDs on almost everything (even my scooter).
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

evil_O

• Modded
Help! HID addiction!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 02:13:49 AM »
HIDs will be going in both the subie and passat in the future... nothing else to say but.. do it.
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Help! HID addiction!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 02:24:18 AM »
Just wish I could afford it, a G+ is a lot o' scrilla for headlights.

Fugazi

evil_O

• Modded
Help! HID addiction!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 02:37:51 AM »
There are options out there that do not quite run that amount of money.  03Indigo is running a great setup on his OBXT - I think they ran him around $400.

Care to chime in Jon?
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Help! HID addiction!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 04:07:56 AM »
I was refering to OEM HID's, I hadent even considered retro fit.

Greg

Fugazi

evil_O

• Modded
Help! HID addiction!
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 04:16:54 AM »
I would not have considered them either until I saw them in 03Indigo's ride.  Personally I could not tell the difference.  They looked incredible... especially for the price!
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Help! HID addiction!
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 04:59:11 AM »
I have plastic lenses that are shot, of course they dont sell just lenses so I would have to get new houseings anyways.

Greg

Fugazi

TurboDub

• Modded
Help! HID addiction!
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 11:31:01 AM »
Those look cool! I say do it. The more high quality light, the better.

evil_O I'm thinking about doing mine as well. Let me know what brand/temp you go with.
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

evil_O

• Modded
Help! HID addiction!
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 12:33:55 PM »
Quote from: "TurboDub"
Those look cool! I say do it. The more high quality light, the better.

evil_O I'm thinking about doing mine as well. Let me know what brand/temp you go with.

PM 03Indigo... he has the setup now and can get you more details at the moment.  As many put it... his are the "hawtness".
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Help! HID addiction!
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 02:39:46 PM »
There are a million options for the H7 retro-fit kits out there.  you just have to decide what you want to spend, and the quality you are looking for.  The length of the bulb changes the focus pattern a bit, but not that much, with the Legacy and outback lighting projectors.  The same kit can be used in Passats, since they also use the H7.  I went with a kit from www.hidexpress.com They are a bit more expensive, but they have all the options you can want.  The kit comes with the bulbs, rubber plugs for the housings, ballasts and igniters-sp?.  I installed my kit in about 45 minutes, since I was not sure what I was doing, but it was plug and play as for the wiring.  VERY easy to install, and i have the ballasts and igniters secured in the engine bay.

I went with the 6000K kit, very blue.  For more light, the 4300K kit is best, very white, huge light dispersioin on the road.  I wanted a little bling factor, so I went 6000K, light is great, but if I had it to do all over again, I would go 4300K, as that is what I had in the Audi and the Passat...and what I have in the MINI.

My kit ran about $400 shipped, can't rmemeber the exact price, but you can find the prices on their web site, I have not looked since I ordered.

if you have questions, feel free to contact me.

Winston, those would look hot in your Cruiser, I think you should get all over it.  I personally want xenons for my fogs now, hehe.

gragravar

• Supercar
Help! HID addiction!
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 02:56:22 PM »
you know, if he weren't selling the scout, those 7" rounds would look AWESOME on Jay's scout too.

A scout with HID's that would rock!
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Help! HID addiction!
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 03:01:06 PM »
Quote from: "gragravar"

A scout with HID's that would rock!

+1

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Help! HID addiction!
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005, 04:47:15 PM »
Bling out the SUV!!

sheesh - i'm itching to get HIDs on my A4. There are good quality kits out there for $300! Too much in line before that mod though....

And i'll prolly go with stock 4300K.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Help! HID addiction!
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2005, 05:59:05 PM »
Jon that link is dead for me. :)

Fugazi

evil_O

• Modded
Help! HID addiction!
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2005, 06:10:59 PM »
Quote from: "blueGOLFturbo"

here ya go

http://www.hidxpress.com/
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Help! HID addiction!
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2005, 06:12:27 PM »
Quote from: "blueGOLFturbo"

strange, seems that they have changed to www.xenondepot.com  I had no idea.  either that, or they were bought out, but xenondepot.com has the same products I have.  The prices seem about the same as what I paid, but can't remember.  I think some of their kits use phillips stuff, but I do not have phillips, and have not had a problem.

gragravar

• Supercar
Help! HID addiction!
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2005, 07:15:18 PM »
Thanks for that link guys, I have been looking for a while for a nice conversion kit for my motorcyce, and it looks like they have one.  and only $199 too!  sweet.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
Help! HID addiction!
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2005, 02:07:21 PM »
The options for the Golf seem a bit more limited. First you have to buy the ecode projector headlights, then find a kit that will fit in our awkward space. Then there are stories about light quality on almost all the kits being much less than OEM, problems with fitment, bad projector lenses causing bad fall-off, etc, etc...

The common concensus seems to be go OEM or not at all with the Golf from what I understand.

That seems like a cool site and if you're happy with their product that's all that matters. The gallery is kinda goofy though. Why do they show almost nothing but shots of what the front of the car looks like with these spiffy new lights. Isn't the light pattern and quality of light what's important here? :)
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Help! HID addiction!
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2005, 02:10:04 PM »
Quote from: "34k"
The gallery is kinda goofy though. Why do they show almost nothing but shots of what the front of the car looks like with these spiffy new lights. Isn't the light pattern and quality of light what's important here? :)

nah...it is all about the bling factor  :wink:

TurboDub

• Modded
Help! HID addiction!
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2005, 03:00:17 PM »
Damn I am all excited now!!  :lol:  

Thanks for the info guys. I've heard that 4300, 5300, or 6000's are the way to go...I'm not sure which I want yet.

03Indigo, if you get some time maybe you wouldn't mind posting a picture or 2 of the lights and how you mounted the ignitors etc.  :wink:

edit:nm just found an awesome write up:

http://www.pimpmyauto.com/H7%20HID%20kit%20install.htm

I'm pretty much a noob to making electrical connections. Although I'm going to make an attempt at wiring my fog lights so they work independantly from the headlights this weekend...  8O And also disabling the DRL's. Maybe a debagding session too...hehe

Then I can cruise just parking lights and fogs in the twighlight hours hehe 8)
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Help! HID addiction!
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2005, 06:44:01 PM »
Hehe, I just found out from Jay that my emails were getting returned.  Then I realized I still had it set to go to my old work addy.  I thought I had to boring threads on my hands and then I went back to look and blammo!

HIDs have made  huge impact in the night time driving of my car.  I NEVER was even remotely happy with the way the stock houssings looked or performed.  Now I couldn't be happier.

I was back in town last weekend packing and celebrating Ethan's 1st birthday and snapped this daytime pic while packing up the garage.

In other news, I am working on the new project, the 86 Landcruiser.  The cool thing about it is that there is just as much aftermarket support for these things as VWs...it's great.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.