Author Topic: What's with road rage?  (Read 2166 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
What's with road rage?
« on: September 05, 2003, 05:36:35 PM »
So it is a rare occurence, but about once a quarter or more I seem to become entangled in some sort of road rage incident.  Typically it is some other fool who is hot headed and psychotic.

I know thes posts are loaded and are based on one view, but I don't believe myself to be a driver that enrages people more than it is my car that enrages people.

I think having a visually modified car automatically puts some people into a certain state of mind.

This morning while casually, but quickly heading to work down 6th I catch up to this Plymouth Breeze, I have a few car lenghts and we are going the speed limit in the left lane.  I inch up a few times to hint that I want by, but I don;t get on his ass.  He finally moves over and I punch it as I am passing him he doesn't even really wait for me to get by, floors it and pulls right onto my tail weaving and crap like that.

I used to get nervous about that, but then i realized if he hits me he is more likely to wreck and the other thing I know.....I can out run him, once the next car in my path moved...I did too, I think he was a bit suprised to see me take off like that but I didn't want to f around with him.  As I sped off you could see him in my mirror accelerating hard and weaving within his lane.

Anyway,  I drive better now that i have a commute than I did a few years ago when i had no commute.  I never drove my car.  I still drive just as fast, but I never had any incidents with my Passat being stock

I guess my point is, sometimes we all drive aggressive, especially with a modified car, remmeber that some people are psychotic and get crazy at the site of a modified car or just in general.  Be safe and either outrun or get away from those crazies.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
What's with road rage?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2003, 06:04:01 PM »
People are wacky, that is all I can say.  I experience the same thing in the Mini these days, more than I experienced in the Passat.  I think people just want to run me over and squash me like a little bug...either that or they are just looking at the car too much and not paying attention to what they are doing.

Glad nothing serious happened...I know your car enrages me...enrages me with jealousy over those wheels :P

Rocky Mountain Club B5

What's with road rage?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2003, 06:04:01 PM »

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
What's with road rage?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2003, 07:04:14 PM »
I too have experianced more that my fair share of road rage.  I direct you to my signature....
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

shummer

• Modded
What's with road rage?
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2003, 07:29:25 PM »
I've had my fair share of road rage incidences:

Driving to work the other day, we're turning onto SB Broadway from WB Belleview, right after the turn (double turn lane and everyone is still bunched together) an SUV in the far left lane puts blinker on and starts to come over into my lane. Ummm, there's no room here. I rarely honk, but I honked this time, passed the SUV, looked in rear view mirror, and the driver is shaking their head at me. They're mad at me because I didn't let them cut me off!?! Go figure. I guess the turn signal to some people means, "I'm coming over so yield to me" instead of "I'd like to come over, will you let me in?" SUV eventually ends up in the far right lane - poor planning on their part.

Another time, going to lunch NB on Broadway near the Acura dealership near Littleton hospital, I'm going 45mph in the 40mph zone. Truck pulls out of the dealership in front of me and doesn't even try to get up to speed. He had plenty of space to accelerate (at least 100 yards in front of me). Well, he just merges into traffic going 20mph. He's not towing anything, nothing fragile in the bed that's going to break if he accelerates, nothing - just being an ass just because he drives a big truck. So I brake at the last instant and tail him good. So the driver promptly brake checks me and holds his arm out the window for a good 10 seconds giving me the finger. So I guess this guy is mad at me because he cut me off, goes 1/2 the speed limit, and wonders why I'm tailing him. He turns into a neighborhood maybe 3 blocks from the dealership and swears at me as I pass.

Maybe it's just me because I think everyone should drive like me (i.e. actually accelerate on on-ramps, use cruise control, merge into traffic so as to not disrupt it, plan ahead when making turns, etc.). You dig?

WendyDarling

• n00balicious
What's with road rage?
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2003, 01:17:04 AM »
I dig.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
What's with road rage?
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2003, 03:38:29 AM »
I dig bunches.  I think I have it all figured out how to make the road work smoothly, and then I get in the car with Jen driving, and I realize that everyone does things from their own perspective.  Jen drives well, she just drives like she did when she learned to drive in Philly.  

So I guess people just get to used to not having to meet people half way...

Gotta go clean some mo.  Ciao!
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.