Author Topic: does your 1.8T raddle too??  (Read 4482 times)

Babyrs4

• Stock
does your 1.8T raddle too??
« on: December 14, 2004, 03:33:40 AM »
I have a question for every 1.8T owner.  does your engine raddle for about 2 seconds when you first turn on the car when you go to work in the morning??
the reason why I'm asking is that I have never seen a car that make such noise.  so this morning, when I went to pic-up some parts at the Prestige, I asked one of the service guys and told me it was very common to raddle...?? is it true?? anyway, I've been kinda wonderring about this for 3years and never asked anybody about it for some reason.  so... any in-put would help. thanks guys. will

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 03:37:08 AM »
Well most modern cars, at least my VW 1.8T, my Audi 2.7T and my Fiancees Volvo S60 all have secondary air pumps.

This kicks in when the engine is cold to help warm up the engine and exhaust manifold.

It's really and efficiency item.  I think it usualy last about 30 seconds, sometimes it;ll kick in for a few if you have a bunch of stops getting out of the neighborhood and all that.

Your car should be hitting around 1100 RPMS when it is running and when it dies down be back around the 700 - 800 range.

Hope this helps.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 03:37:08 AM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 03:48:10 AM »
yup, that happened on both my 1.8Ts and 2.7T  motors....like Jay said, secondary pump, and it is normal.

Unless you have another abnormal rattle that we would need to hear to figure out what it is.

Babyrs4

• Stock
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 04:04:42 AM »
thanks gietl.  but the raddling noise is immediately after you turn the key to start the engine.  and then after 2 seconds it quiets down and everything you explained happens...

It kinda sounds like metals banging against each other. it's fairly loud noise and it makes you kinda worried but then it goes away when it's worm so you tend to forget about it.
When I tried to make sence out of it, I kinda thought that it could be the cam shaft hitting the valve head and it makes that kind of noise because oil hasn't been routed yet, or lack of oil in place from stting in the position for certain amount of time.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 04:15:50 AM »
Could it be lifter noise? Have you checked your oil? What weight oil are you running?

So keep in mind the oil is all at the bottom of the pan, when it's cold it's hard for that oil to get pumped up to the top.

I do know that my Passat 1.8T did that on really cold mornings if the car sat overnight outside.

If it occurs for one or two seconds it probably is not a big deal, however I would gibe the engine a once over and make sure you are all good on oil and all that.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 04:23:54 AM »
my 2.0L bug did that, it was horrible, almost sounded like a diesel motor when it started....thought the engine was broke, hehe, and took it in, they said it was normal...I got used to it, it was less noticable in the 1.8T, and even more so less noticable in the 2.7T.

The dealers attributed the sound to the oil not being in the heads like Jay has stated...that man gives good advice!!!

Babyrs4

• Stock
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 04:39:15 AM »
I use castrol 10W-40 white bottle. it supposed to be ok right? and I change my oil my self and I check  the level all the time.
and the part that gets me worried is that...it makes that noise almost everymorning...

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 04:44:06 AM »
I have a 2000 1.8T with almost 75K on the clock and mine has done that every time I kick it on the whole time I have owned it. Its just one of those volkswagen things... I wouldent worry about it too much...

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 04:54:41 AM »
When the car has sat overnight and it has been cold right?  I am willing to bet it is the lifters tapping.  Again, not neccessarily a bad thing.

If you want to hear some serious lifter noise when starting up a cold engine come over in the morning when I fire up the scout.  You'll feel much better.

Honestly, this happens, all the oil has drained down to the pan overnight, the engine is cold, the oil is cold. We haven been below freezing every night for the last few weeks and if you park the car outside or in an uninsulated garage you have a pretty good chance of this occuring.

I can't really tell you anything more than it is PROBABLY normal, but if you are really concerned you will most likely need to elave the car overnight at a shop to have them test it properly.  I would always rather pay a $80 diagnostic fee and find out nothing is wrong than to think everything is okay and dish our hundreds of dollars in repairs.

As for the oil you are using, I believe you need to lighten up on it a little for the 1.8T.  Since you are pushing out that much HP with your car you might want to consider going to synthetic as well.

When the sludge report came out VW included this little gem with the campaign, I hope it helps (I put it into a PDF):

VW Oil Standard

this info should be the same for Audi.

EDIT: PLease note that me making a PDF of that is illegal, so don;t distribute it.

Babyrs4

• Stock
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 05:30:42 AM »
thanks guys I'm kinda feelling better already.  I'll try not to worry about it too much. and thanks about the oil standard list. I'll probubly change my oil to synthetic from next time. well, thanks again for everyones in-put. will.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2004, 10:45:26 AM »
I want in on this one!

Mine makes that noise too...only when it's stupid cold or has been sitting out in cold overnight.

Okay...my piece has been said.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Babyrs4

• Stock
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2004, 05:09:19 PM »
yah, I'm glad that it was a common thing.  but thanks for the in-put jayryan.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2004, 07:25:18 PM »
Mine does that in the morning as well.  It sounds funny but I just think it adds to the character of the car.  Sorta like Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang.  Thank God that I have yet to expiereince the "Bang-Bang" part yet!  :wink:

As for oil, I use the Mobil 1 (I think it is 5w30) full synthetic.  I have never had problems.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2004, 08:04:12 PM »
Just a quick llama reply of "me too" ;)

There are a TON of posts on the 1.8T forum of the vortex if you'd like to give yourself intern's disease thinking about the myriad of POSSIBLE problems it could be.

I've long since chalked mine up to "that 1.8T cold engine noise" since mine has done it since I got the car with twelve miles on it.
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

vdubya

• n00balicious
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2005, 02:13:54 AM »
Mine does that too just to say it. Mine is a lot louder with the EVO intake on it too.

ONE QUESTION if anyone knows this. I have that EVO intake for my passat 1.8T and it comes with a little fillter that connects to it looks like an air pump or something like that. With the intake it looks like it is pointless to have it. Well the question is: Is that an air pump? What does it do? And if it is, is it ok to remove it? :?  :?

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2005, 11:50:56 AM »
Does a "Raddle" sound similar to a "Rattle"?
 :wink:

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2005, 11:53:26 AM »
Quote from: "vdubya"
Mine does that too just to say it. Mine is a lot louder with the EVO intake on it too.

ONE QUESTION if anyone knows this. I have that EVO intake for my passat 1.8T and it comes with a little fillter that connects to it looks like an air pump or something like that. With the intake it looks like it is pointless to have it. Well the question is: Is that an air pump? What does it do? And if it is, is it ok to remove it? :?  :?

Er...I have the Evo Intake for the 2.8, but the setup is essentially the same.  Why would you want to remove the little filter that goes to your air pump? It might start sucking stuff up that you don't want it to...I'd suggest you keep it on.

On the rattle issue: feel lucky it isn't worse.  I definitely know what lifters are, my car clicks and rattles and does all kinds of weird stuff. Sounds more like a diesel nowadays than a 2.8 V6.

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

evil_O

• Modded
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2005, 12:07:32 PM »
Here is food for thought.  I have owned the following:

2001 1.8T A4
2001 1.8T A4
2001 1.8T GTi
2004 1.8T Passat

ALL of them rattle at cold start up.  I also get, as I drive off and the car(s) was still cold, another tin type rattle.  The only thing I ever chalked that up to was a heat shield rattling.
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2005, 12:24:39 PM »
Quote from: "evil_O"

2001 1.8T A4
2001 1.8T A4
2001 1.8T GTi
2004 1.8T Passat

Like your 1.8T's, don't you?

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

evil_O

• Modded
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2005, 12:30:17 PM »
Quote from: "BHase"
Quote from: "evil_O"

2001 1.8T A4
2001 1.8T A4
2001 1.8T GTi
2004 1.8T Passat

Like your 1.8T's, don't you?

Ben

Yes... and now I LOVE my 2.5T!!
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2005, 12:40:44 PM »
Just to confirm what everyone else has mentioned...

My Jetta 1.8T and Passat 1.8T both rattled (the colder the louder) at start up...Always just chalked it up to the fact that there are 20 valves under the hood.

+1 for lovin' the 2.5T!! :lol:
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

PasSoup

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2005, 12:49:02 PM »
I get the same noises when I start up my 2.8l, so it is not just a 1.8T thing.
Jonathon

1999 Passat 30V V6
2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2005, 02:57:59 PM »
Quote from: "PasSoup"
I get the same noises when I start up my 2.8l, so it is not just a 1.8T thing.

Good, I have someone to sympathize with.

Ben

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2005, 04:14:30 PM »
Does mine rattle?  Only when I'm driving...but sometimes I think it will rattle just sitting there to mock me  :lol:
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2005, 02:19:25 PM »
I assumed that noise was the cam chain, which would be loose until the tensioner was pressurized with oil.  I have not bothered to learn if that is how the 1.8T valvetrain works, but the sound is right for that type of system.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2005, 04:44:01 PM »
Quote from: "ianacole"
Does mine rattle?  Only when I'm driving...but sometimes I think it will rattle just sitting there to mock me  :lol:

I get that feeling sometimes :cry:
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi