Author Topic: Got a few questions...  (Read 2616 times)

RobD

• Modded
Got a few questions...
« on: September 01, 2003, 08:38:19 PM »
Seeing as i finally got my ride from the dealer (they had to fix a dent in the door and took two weeks) I want to change the oil and possibly change the tranny fluids.  

What kind of oil are you 1.8T folks using?  Is it okay to swith to sythenthic at 24K?  Other than Liberty where have you guys stocked up on oil filters?

Anybody done the tranny fluids (tiptronic)?

Also with all the talk about MAF malfunctions, would anybody recommend going with a different airfilter than K&N?  ITG/Pipercross?

I'll try to post pictures soon!
Rob

I put on my wheels (16"Ronal R28) and the offset does not look bad.  It actually looks pretty nice.  Wheels and tires fill the wheel well.  Now I just need to tighten the gap. :D

Rob

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Got a few questions...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2003, 11:25:17 PM »
Rob -

Not much help here on the sourcing, but I think you would be okay switching to synth.  I know there are a number of debates, but I am not sure why there would be a problem.

As for tranny fluid, IIRC you should never really need to change the tranny fluid for the Passat.  I know that sounds weird but I believe it is like a 100K type thing, then again so is the timing belt.

I would mostly check it for clarity and make sure it isn't all nasty.  If it is there could be trouble.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Got a few questions...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2003, 11:25:17 PM »

RobD

• Modded
Got a few questions...
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 12:24:35 AM »
Jay - What weight of oil are you using and do you vary it for the winter versus the summer?

Also to anyone that could shed light on a tint shops (I knew i should have paid attention when it was asked 15 times before.  The car came with a DARK tint that I want to remove and replace with lighter tint.  Any shops recommended? Approx. cost to pay for tint and removal of the old stuff.  I had one shop say 100.00 for removal and aprrox 200 for new tint.  Sound fair?
Thanks again
Rob

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Got a few questions...
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 01:01:38 AM »
Hey Rob, I have been a loyal Mobile1 synthetic oil user since my first oil change.  It actually quieted my engine down and I would recommend it very highly!

I use either 10w30 or 5w30 depending on the season (check the manual, or RTFM as they say on which to use when).

As to the tranny fluid, I can't help much there since mine's a manual...

Can't wait to see it.  Are you going to Rock Bottom tomorrow night?
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Got a few questions...
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 01:22:01 AM »
Rob, I have been using Mobil1 Synth 5W30 for two oil changes now.  I have noticed that the engine runs better.  The owners manual only states using 5W30.  I did not read that there are any difference for the seasons.

No help with the tranny fluid, though I agree with Jay.  It is rated for about 100,000 mi.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Got a few questions...
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2003, 02:39:45 PM »
Synthetic oil is the way to go.  I dropped the OEM oil out of my car as soon as I got it, and replaced it with Synthetic.  The properties of Syn oil are much better, especially when starting the car in with a cold engine.  I run 10W30 in the summer and 5W30 in winter.  The different weights are designed for higher/lower temps.  The higher weight for higher temps.

Synthetic oil is more expensive, but you do not have to change it as frequently.  6K-7K miles between changes.

Just do not put ANY additives in the oil, it will not help, and may actually counter act with the Synthetic compounds.

Amsoil, Moble1, and Castrol are all good.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

RobD

• Modded
Got a few questions...
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2003, 02:57:05 PM »
All good info.  Thanks for the help.  I'll be attempting to change the oil this week.  

rob

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Got a few questions...
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2003, 03:05:23 PM »
I use Mobil1 Syn in my car as well. Although I didn't know anything about the weights being for temperatures. I'm running 0w in my car right now. I guess I'll switch. My car's been running very smooth and much quieter as well.
Tint Shops?
I had mine done at Jazz it Up on Arapahoe. I think it cost me about $180 with lifetime warranty that covers pretty much everything.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Got a few questions...
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2003, 03:12:12 PM »
A tip on oil changing.  To get to the oil filter with less blood, sweat and tears, take the 3 screws out of the coolant tank and tilt it upward to get better access to the filter.  It will save on your arms from getting torn up.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Got a few questions...
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2003, 08:34:58 PM »
For those of you who wish to better understand oil here are some links to details on the topic

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng.html

After you get there, scroll down to these two topic's

Making Sense of Synthetic Lubricants

More than you want to know about MOTOR OIL

I think both do an excellent job of explaining oil, sythetic oil and the grading of oil's.

Hope you have some time to kill if you are goin to read them...
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
Tiptronic
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2003, 12:38:18 AM »
The tiptronic tranny doesn't need changing, and no way of checking it. It is a sealed unit and can only be serviced by the dealership. The tranny has to be filled through the bottom plug by a unit that puts the fluid in then monitors the ECU to verify that it is operating ok. Got nosey at the dealership while they were fixing my coil packs. Guess my quest for useless info paid off.
Look officer, I really do own it......