Author Topic: Ticket for Europlate  (Read 6335 times)

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Ticket for Europlate
« on: August 09, 2005, 02:05:12 PM »
I realize this is not a new concept.  I was driving when I got pulled over.  The cop was in front of me on I-25 during beginning rush hour slowed down while I passed and pulled me over.  "Does that plate have valid registration?"  "No."  No biggie just didnt think I would actually get pulled over for that.

Golf 1.8t=14,000
Upgrades= 5,000
Being pulled over for a cosmetic piece=priceless
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 02:08:26 PM »
Also gives them a good opportunity to potentially cite you for other stuff if they see fit. Probably wanted to see if you had clear tails and all that.

Someone on AW's wife just got harrassed by the police for the rear fog lights on their A6...which is technically stock!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 02:08:26 PM »

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 02:44:38 PM »
Kind of what I figured.  I think ianacole has the right idea with putting them both on.  Both the CO plate and euro plate.   8)   Sly...

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
Re: Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 03:14:34 PM »
Quote from: "coveredbytheblood"
"Does that plate have valid registration?"  "No."  

Imagine his surprise if you would have said "yes" I've seen several cars with valid Euro plates while I was living in New York. The last one was an Audi A2 on the LIE with Dutch (I think) plates. It looked like it can fit in the trunk of the Navigator driving next to it.  :)
The cop that pulled you over was an a-hole who didn't get any last night.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 03:17:59 PM »
that's odd that they would pull you over just for that.
I'm sure cops notice my europlate all the time (there's a police station near my house), but I never had any problems with them -- only parking enforcement who wants to collect that extra $20.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 05:51:50 PM »
Kind of what I figured.  I think ianacole has the right idea with putting them both on.  Both the CO plate and euro plate.   8)   Sly...

It may look ugly, but I don't need to give the "fuzz" :lol: any more reasons to pull me over.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

evil_O

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 06:09:27 PM »
Quote from: "B5_Alex"

Why did you have to hold out like that?  See what it cost one of our members???

:lol:
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 06:16:00 PM »
Quote from: "evil_O"

Why did you have to hold out like that?  See what it cost one of our members???

??? wHo MeEeE ???  

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 06:18:03 PM »
Mine is on with velcro so I can change them in and out with out any trouble.

I have gotten a couple glances for the "MAN" but that is about it, so far....
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 06:45:19 PM »
Making traffic stops is a huge tool for catching criminals.

More than 85% of Felony arrests happen due to a traffic stop. Ted bundy and Timothy McVeigh are great examples. Bundy was stopped for a tail light out on a VW Bug.

Any good police officer will stop as many cars as he can when not responding to other calls, doing reports etc. It is simply a numbers game. If you have a valid reason to stop a car and find out who the driver is you will find the real criminals. (oddly enough they drive :wink: )

This is something to keep in mind if you choose to go out and drink and then drive and you have Euro plates or other mods that may get you stopped. You may drive fine, but you are giving them a reason!

Your attitude "may" determine if he writes you a ticket for the violation. (it may not, he may simply write you a ticket too. It proves to his supervisors that he is working and not just cruising around all day.)

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

evil_O

• Modded
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 06:52:12 PM »
BUUUUUuuuuut Cole.. why in the world would he wanna work??? THAT is the question.  If he does that he may not be one of the cool kids anymore  :cry:
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

Cole

• Heavily Modded
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 06:55:25 PM »
Come awwwwwnnnnn. We both know that stopping Euro trash is only "acting" like working.  No real crook would steal a german car or pay for a Euro plate. He knew he would only find a pot head at most :D

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 06:58:04 PM »
Somehow the word "harassment" comes to mind ... but I can see the logic in your comments as well so I could be wrong ... I've had some bad experiences with traffic cops when I was in college driving a '81 Scirocco. Cops are just like everyone else, some are nice and some feel that they need to proclaim their superiority to the rest of the world by writing many "stupid" tickets just like in this example.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 07:49:44 PM »
I agree that trafic stops lead to catching "bad guys".  That is why I always respect the police when the stop me, and save the cussing and pithy comments for after I have pulled away. :wink:

Recently I got stopped for expired tags.  I knew it was going to happen for about 2 blocks before the lights came on.  The office was nice and I paid the fine right away.  I was just glad he did not decide to walk to the fron of the car and hit me for the Euro plate too.

Just remeber - you pay to play.  That goes for "Go" mods and "Show" mods.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 09:03:48 PM »
Somehow the word "harassment" comes to mind ... but I can see the logic in your comments as well so I could be wrong ... I've had some bad experiences with traffic cops when I was in college driving a '81 Scirocco. Cops are just like everyone else, some are nice and some feel that they need to proclaim their superiority to the rest of the world by writing many "stupid" tickets just like in this example.

I tend to take a more pragmatic view to "stupid" tickets.  If I'm doing something contrary to the law, they have every right to pull me over and give me a ticket.  My ignorance of a particular law is not an excuse (for example, many truck owners do not relize that they "technically are not allowed to raise their headlights higher than 48" off the ground...I've seen many well above that).  When I get a ticket, I grumble about getting caught, not that I actually got a ticket.

But you are absolutely right about superiority complexes...if you're going to pull me over, just give me a ticket.  I realize you are in a position of authority and perfectly well within your right to give me a ticket.  The ticket is more than enough, I don't need the attitude also.  But fortunately, I haven't run into any jerk cops here; I haven't been pulled over by CSP...yet :lol:

Cole

• Heavily Modded
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2005, 09:37:28 PM »
Hmmm...... :wink: (look at the bold text)

42-4-205. Head lamps on motor vehicles.
Statute text
(1) Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with at least two head lamps with at least one on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, which head lamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in sections 42-4-202 and 42-4-204 to 42-4-231 and part 3 of this article where applicable thereto.

(2) Every motorcycle and every motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two head lamps which shall comply with the requirements and limitations of sections 42-4-202 and 42-4-204 to 42-4-231 and part 3 of this article where applicable thereto.

(3) Every head lamp upon every motor vehicle, including every motorcycle and motor-driven cycle, shall be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of not more than fifty-four inches nor less than twenty-four inches, to be measured as set forth in section 42-4-204 (3).

(4) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class B traffic infraction.

History
Source: L. 94: Entire title amended with relocations, p. 2242, 1, effective January 1, 1995.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2005, 09:57:14 PM »
Heh, i've aquired quite a few warnings over the years and all have been from CSP.

My rule has always been, "Yes, SIR", "No, SIR", "Thank you SIR, please don't give me another, SIR" all as pleasent as can be but sincere and honest. The only two tickets I've gotten to date are one from a CSP who HAD to be having a crappy night and a Denver cop with nothing better to do.

I live, quite literally across the street from the police station and invariably i see a cop driving to and from home. Sometimes i get a funny look from my license plate, but i've never been stopped for it. That's just a lame excuse and that sucks that it happened.

I don't mind paying for tickets. If i did something wrong and you got me, cool, i understand. If i get popped for something that was really minor, well, hell i'm just glad you didn't catch me all those times i REALLY deserved it. My only problem is the thought of catching a cop in a bad mood and that affecting my insurance for the next three years. That blows.
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2005, 10:16:15 PM »
Quote from: "Cole"
Hmmm...... :wink: (look at the bold text)

(3) Every head lamp upon every motor vehicle, including every motorcycle and motor-driven cycle, shall be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of not more than fifty-four inches nor less than twenty-four inches, to be measured as set forth in section 42-4-204 (3).

(4) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class B traffic infraction.

History
Source: L. 94: Entire title amended with relocations, p. 2242, 1, effective January 1, 1995.

Ooops :oops: , thought I had read 48" awhile ago...oh, well, my point remains the same.  And by that, I am right on the cusp of being too low.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2005, 10:28:39 PM »
Damn, maybe I shouldn't be drinking while driving, and I shouldn't be storing that kilo coke in the glovebox, and I really should dispose the dead body in the trunk!   8O

Thanks for warning me! :lol:

That thing about the headlights, I think half the SUVs and trucks on the road violates that rule.

BHase

• Modded
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2005, 02:59:07 AM »
I obviously agree with all the comments, but I do get a little sick of getting pulled over twice a year just for kicks.  Once, I had a cop pull me over and tell me it was because I was "ashing the cigarette out of the window."  That was in Cherry Hills.  No, I wasn't throwing the butt out of the window, I was simply ashing.  *cough*

Last time, I got it in Kansas.  He told me that I was doing 74 MPH, and that the legal speed limit is 70 MPH.  "But," he told me good naturedly, "I'll let you go this time."  Thanks, buddy! You're so nice!  

Of course criminals do drive and they can be caught in traffic stops, but criminals also live in houses, and shop for groceries.  I suppose our driving dependency is one good way that the government can ensure it will always be able to investigate us at some stage in our daily routine, even if there are solid restrictions on searching our houses.

But don't you feel a little patronized when you're so kindly let off for that 74 MPH in a 70 MPH zone, when you know it was probably just because your car was all black with tinted windows and no front license plate?  If he at least told me that's what he was doing, I would've nodded my head and thought, "Yeah, it does look suspicious."

Plus, given the demographic of the everyday criminal in the U.S., are most of them driving $40,000 cars?  I bet most of them drive cars that are worth less than $10,000...and probably 99% of them or more have front license plates.

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

Cole

• Heavily Modded
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2005, 01:17:16 PM »
Quote from: "BHase"
I obviously agree with all the comments, but I do get a little sick of getting pulled over twice a year just for kicks.  Once, I had a cop pull me over and tell me it was because I was "ashing the cigarette out of the window."  That was in Cherry Hills.  No, I wasn't throwing the butt out of the window, I was simply ashing.  *cough*

Still littering AND a fire hazard in this state.

Last time, I got it in Kansas.  He told me that I was doing 74 MPH, and that the legal speed limit is 70 MPH.  "But," he told me good naturedly, "I'll let you go this time."  Thanks, buddy! You're so nice!

Still illegal to exceed the speed limit.

Of course criminals do drive and they can be caught in traffic stops, but criminals also live in houses, and shop for groceries.  I suppose our driving dependency is one good way that the government can ensure it will always be able to investigate us at some stage in our daily routine, even if there are solid restrictions on searching our houses.

4th amendment. (unreasonable search). Easier and more effective (and safer) to stop people when they violate a traffic law.

But don't you feel a little patronized when you're so kindly let off for that 74 MPH in a 70 MPH zone, when you know it was probably just because your car was all black with tinted windows and no front license plate?  If he at least told me that's what he was doing, I would've nodded my head and thought, "Yeah, it does look suspicious.".

My car looked the same as yours. Audi S4. Got stopped 3 times in Kansas. MAJOR drug corridor. They will stop for anything they can to catch drugs.

Plus, given the demographic of the everyday criminal in the U.S., are most of them driving $40,000 cars?  I bet most of them drive cars that are worth less than $10,000...and probably 99% of them or more have front license plates.

You think these guys *pay* for cars? They STEAL them. They don't just steal cheap ones.  They STEAL YOURS. They STEAL plates, and not always both plates. I bet if your car was stolen you would want the cops to stop it and make sure the driver owned the car.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

evil_O

• Modded
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2005, 01:23:53 PM »
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2005, 01:28:45 PM »
WE MUST HAVE ORDER!  :evil:

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2005, 01:30:06 PM »
Quote from: "aowhaus"
WE MUST HAVE ORDER!  :evil:

That's doubleplusgood! :wink:

evil_O

• Modded
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2005, 02:27:10 PM »
Nah.. I don't think order is necassary... just responsiblity  :wink:
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

evil_O

• Modded
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2005, 02:57:17 PM »
OK.. something about this whole thing just crawled up my a$$ so I am going to spill it.

I am so sick and tired of people that do not take responsibilty for their actions.  This is not a personal slight against anyone... just a way that I have been feeling for a loooong time.  I am tired of hearing what an a$$hole some cop is for doing his job.  "He pulled me over cause I was doing Xmph over the speed limit... what a jerk, who does he think he is?  yada yada yada...."  I am tired of those complaining about getting pulled over for:

1. Speeding - any amount over the limit
2. Tint
3. No front plate
4. Suspension
5. Exhaust
6. Insert your reason for getting pulled over here -----> <>

If you don't like the laws you can lobby your legislation to get them changed.  Until then they will be enforced.  Do I agree with them?  No, not all.  At the same time I am aware of them and if I get stopped for it, I have no one to blame but MYSELF.  I take responsibility for my actions and I do not blame it on someone else cause I percieve them as an a$$ out to get me because they don't like..... young kids in nice cars, had a bad day, are just a$$holes.... whatever the freakin' reason.

This sentiment applies to everything  -- Example -- Fat people blaming McDonalds for being fat... NOOOOO... it is your fat ass fault for putting the food in your mouth and $hitting it out the next day.

There is this growing trend to blame others for our misfortune, incompetence, ignorance, whatever.... INSTEAD of taking responsiblity by the reign and owning up to it or making the necassary changes to stop the insanity.

<rant off>  *phew*
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

PasSoup

• Lightly Modded
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2005, 03:35:55 PM »
I blame this website for my inability to get anything done at work.... :lol:  :lol:
Jonathon

1999 Passat 30V V6
2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2005, 03:37:36 PM »
Quote from: "evil_O"
OK.. something about this whole thing just crawled up my a$$ so I am going to spill it.

I am so sick and tired of people that do not take responsibilty for their actions.  This is not a personal slight against anyone... just a way that I have been feeling for a loooong time.  I am tired of hearing what an a$$hole some cop is for doing his job.  "He pulled me over cause I was doing Xmph over the speed limit... what a jerk, who does he think he is?  yada yada yada...."  I am tired of those complaining about getting pulled over for:

1. Speeding - any amount over the limit
2. Tint
3. No front plate
4. Suspension
5. Exhaust
6. Insert your reason for getting pulled over here -----> <>

If you don't like the laws you can lobby your legislation to get them changed.  Until then they will be enforced.  Do I agree with them?  No, not all.  At the same time I am aware of them and if I get stopped for it, I have no one to blame but MYSELF.  I take responsibility for my actions and I do not blame it on someone else cause I percieve them as an a$$ out to get me because they don't like..... young kids in nice cars, had a bad day, are just a$$holes.... whatever the freakin' reason.

This sentiment applies to everything  -- Example -- Fat people blaming McDonalds for being fat... NOOOOO... it is your fat ass fault for putting the food in your mouth and $hitting it out the next day.

There is this growing trend to blame others for our misfortune, incompetence, ignorance, whatever.... INSTEAD of taking responsiblity by the reign and owning up to it or making the necassary changes to stop the insanity.

<rant off>  *phew*

Thanks, that is along the same lines as I was thinking on my way in to work this morning.  We as citizens have a responsibility to abide by the rules and laws of society.  If you don't agree with them, you have the right to petition your elected officials to have them changed.  Complaining about getting caught breaking a law accomplishes nothing, especially since most of the time the offender is well aware that a law is being broken.  You CANNOT spend any time on a regional Colorado forum and not know that not having a front license plate can result in a ticket.  I think you hit the nail on the head with the trend of "no personal responsibility" in today's society.  Everyone is so ready to blame someone else (and it's even easier when it's a faceless corporation/oganization/government) for one's own misfortune.  And if anyone wants to throw out how society keeps some people down, or some people's situations are not reversable, ask me (off line, in person) sometime about my origins.

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2005, 03:56:43 PM »
This post has actually turned out to be very informative.  I thinks its way cool that we have club members who are or were police and will shoot straight with us.  Accepting responsability is an important aspect of grownup life.  One that I am currently learning to accept.  As far as my responsability is concerned I am a numbskull and knew the risk and got caught.  Time to pay the ticket and find somewhere to put my CO plate.  

To those who are in authority positions... is there another place a front plate can be placed besides the front bumper?

evil_O

• Modded
Ticket for Europlate
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2005, 04:22:27 PM »
Colorado Revised Statutes

Look for Title 42 (Laws pertaining to traffic in CO.) - I think you will have to click on the 'more' tab on the tree to the left... if you have questions on interpretation PM me and I will see what I can do.  This way you have the information at your fingertips.   :D
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."