Author Topic: Thanks Chas!!!! CEL list finally revealed w/ pic  (Read 2202 times)

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Thanks Chas!!!! CEL list finally revealed w/ pic
« on: September 02, 2003, 01:09:02 AM »
Well here is what I got for my CEL listing:

4 DTCs Found:
17536 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Mult): System too Lean
        35-10 - - - Intermittent
16486 - MAF Sensor (G70): Signal too Low
        35-00 - -
17545 - Long Term Fuel Trim Add.Fuel (Bank 1) System too Rich
        35-10 - - - Intermittent
18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30: Voltage too Low
        35-10 - - - Intermittent   

The last code I found out most likely had to do with the ECU or battery being unplugged.  I was taking the negative battery lead off to try to reset the ECU during troubleshooting.
After showing Chas a loose wire coming out of the MAF plug (don't ask), he figured that it most likely was at fault.  Having the wire just sitting loose in the plug, it may not be getting the right voltage.  Especially the 16486 error, it may also be what is causing the two fuel errors.

Thanks to Chas for working with me especially over a holiday.  I will take this information to Mountain States tomorrow and see what they say.  As far as the loose cable, we thought that I could just splice a plug from a junked 2000 B5 and just replace the plug instead of the whole assy. which leads back to the ECU in a bundle of cables.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 01:20:34 PM »
Went to Mountain States this morning and after telling him everything that I had done and what I suspect, All it cost me was $26.75.  VW sells a MAF plug kit.  The label on the kit shows a part number of 000-979-133-A  It contains the following:
1-housing- part# 1J0-973-775-A
5-grommet- part# 357-972-741
5-wire/terminal- part# 000-979-133-A
(Actually it is 3 wires, but they have connectors on both sides and you just cut the cable in the middle.  So you actually end up with 6 wire sections.)
5- terminal- part# 111-971-941-A

Jay, I think you said that you had a cracked/broken plug.  This should work for you.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 01:20:34 PM »

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2003, 03:33:38 AM »
And so Dave, have you done the repair? I am interested to know the results of our diagnosis. If you need to hook your car up the VAG-COM again we can do so Saturday. I'll be willing to bet that we have the right issue with your car and after you splice in the new plug part and reset your ECU, your problem will be history.

Get it done this week and we'll get the VAG-COM hooked up on Saturday.
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2003, 05:36:50 PM »
It was done last night before the downpour.  I did the poor mans reset with the battery.  I have had the CEL come up twice this morning after 18-20mi respectively.  I went to Ft Collins this morning and I reset it before coming back.  I went the 60mi. with no CEL.  We will see.  Thanks for offering this Saturday to rescan the ECU.  I will take you up on that.  I am thinking seriously about picking up a VAG-COM cable.  It drove me nuts this morning seeing the light come back on and not being able to see what it was.  Also I figure it will give the group another source for checking codes.

Thanks again for all the help you and Winston have offered.

*UPDATE*: CEL came back on after 61mi. via driving home from work.  I have definitely reduced the frequency of the CEL coming back on.  I cannot wait until Saturday to see what is still coming up.

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2003, 02:24:33 AM »
Hmmm... That's a funny one. I guess we'll see on Saturday.  :?
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
*Update* w/ pic
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2003, 10:11:30 PM »
I know the wiring job in the pic looks a bit amateur, but I hope to find a 4 wire plug to make removing the air-box a bit easier.

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2003, 02:32:22 AM »
Hey man, than's completely fine. Maybe I would have used a bit of heat shrink over the white wires for cosmetic reasons. Other than that, it's fine. I'm glad you are figuring out your issues. Keep us informed as to your progress.
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2003, 02:58:48 AM »
I did pick some shrink tube from Radio Shack about a week ago, just have not had time to put it on.

I know it seems like I am drigging this out, but I am learning ALOT along the way.  I think that is the biggest reason for finally getting around to replacing the MAF.  :cry: