Author Topic: Bye bye?!?!  (Read 4823 times)

evil_O

• Modded
Bye bye?!?!
« on: August 16, 2005, 02:34:49 AM »
Yep... I think the time has come for a while.  We are going in the am to trade in the B5.5.  Life changes are making this decision.  T is going to jump in and start doing her own business - as it has started to ramp up.

So, we need to save some cash and getting a new car will do just that.  We will be saving about 175 a month by going with what we are getting.  

What is it you say?  The thought process has been long and hard....

For cost and options - to include the most safey features - we will be going with the Mazda3 'S'.  Right now we have a good deal lined up with the hatchback - Sunlight silver, 2.3 litre 5 speed, Xenons, TPMS, 6 CD changer, Compass, rubber floor mats, power windows, etc.....

We looked at the XB too.. just for the sake of being different.. but in the end it would only save us about 35 dollars over the 3.  We think this is taken up when you add in all the airbags/safety equip you get with the 3.

If you have questions about it... or wanna poke fun.. go right ahead.  I am still going to hang out here and harang people... but this is the end of the B5 era for me.  

There is more to come to this post for those that will be interested.... for now I am off to look at some more stuff.... :wink:

PS
BBS CH 18x8.5 with Nitto NT555s are now up for sale.  PM me if you have interest.  They are flawless.
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 04:15:33 AM »
I really like the Mazda 3 and think is so much better (styling, features, performance, and ride).  It's definately a lot of car for the money.
The new limited edition with the exclusive dark carbon metallic paint, 17" carbon wheels, LED taillights, Xenons, and exclusive saddle brown leather seats is really sweet.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 04:15:33 AM »

Scuba2001

• Modded
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 11:20:49 AM »
Cant go wrong with the 3.  Yes, its a Ford product, but they look good, and have some pretty decent styling.

Enjoy it, and congrats to you and the wife for doing your own business.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 11:28:06 AM »
Cool, can't wait to see it.  What are you doing with the CH's?  putting them on the market?

edit:  that is what i get for reading this first thing when I wake up...I missed that they are for sale.  I am glad you are putting them on the market.  I just wish they fit the scoobies, I would be all over them in a heart beat.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 12:30:18 PM »
Mazda produces one of the most consistant, appealing and well designed line of cars in the industry.  Eventhough it is partially owned by Ford, the quality hasn't suffered -- the impressive Volvo S40/V40 are also based on the same Ford platform.  And Jaguars are more way more Ford-like than Mazdas.  

I have an extra VW badge you could slap on the grille, it you really want to stay in the club!  :lol:
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 12:34:56 PM »
Hate to see the passat go, it's so new and has some nice goodies. :)

The '3' sounds like a nice package though, and very affordable - good luck!
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

BHase

• Modded
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 01:05:13 PM »
Now we get to throw you off the board. Your conversion is complete.  
 :twisted:
Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 01:21:30 PM »
Quote from: "BHase"
Now we get to throw you off the board. Your conversion is complete.  
 :twisted:
Ben

You would have to throw me off the board first ;)  Bring it on!!!

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 01:22:15 PM »
Congrats on everything Jer, and it's great to hear that "T" is doing well, the industry being what it is. Best of luck to you both!

I know we'll be seeing you both around, so stuff the "bye bye" stuff!  :wink:
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 01:39:33 PM »
You'll have to bring it both on the 11th now...
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

evil_O

• Modded
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 08:35:41 PM »
Well, other than Ben, thanks to all those with positive support on this front.

Here is what we got:

2005 Mazda3 5 Door
Sunlight Silver
Black and Red Cloth interior
ABS/SAB/SAC
Sport Package - 205/50/17 V rated all seasons
Xenon and TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system)/Fogs
5 speed manual
Compass and outside temp/auto dimming mirror with Homelink
Rubber mats
Leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
CD with sound control
Steering wheel mounted stereo and cruise control buttons
plus a ton of other stuff

$18,500 out the door is what we get it all for.  We cut our monthly car payment almost in half - which for us, right now, is a good thing.  For now we see this as just a temporary thing and maybe in the future we can look at something a bit more sophisticated.  

Gas is good on this though.  We can run 87 and:
25/32 mpg City/Hwy - Range 348 mi. / 420.5 mi.
Curb weight is 2826 lb
0-60 mph = 9.13
Hp/Tq = 160/150
60-0 mph = 120.75

We could have opted for just the 'i' and saved about another 3K.. but with the added safety of the 'safety package' we opted up.  There are just certain things you can give up... and for us that is not one of 'em.

Still looking forward to the GTG since I have a financial interest in it.. hehehe

See you all soon.
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 08:38:54 PM »
Wow, awesome. That was fast!

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 08:41:12 PM »
Wow - that's a lot of stuff (xenons! sweet!) for a nice price, and its new which is very cool. Congrats on the new purchase!

and that 0-60 time is still faster than my 1.8.... :cry:
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

evil_O

• Modded
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 08:43:58 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
Wow, awesome. That was fast!

We do NOT jack around.. hahaha....

I forgot to mention, that price includes a 5 year/75k warranty as well.  We wanted the extra 25K in mileage.

You make me laugh Charles.
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 10:56:27 PM »
awesome find Jer.  Can't wait to see it and go for a ride.  Are you gonna put some pics up of it?  I do like the interior of them, and the seats look great.  Are they comfy?

evil_O

• Modded
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2005, 05:51:00 AM »
Quote from: "03Indigo"
awesome find Jer.  Can't wait to see it and go for a ride.  Are you gonna put some pics up of it?  I do like the interior of them, and the seats look great.  Are they comfy?

Thanks.  I think we did well.  We did not leave the lot tonight until about 6:30pm.. so I had to head to work.  I am sure pics will be taken, and if peeps here wanna see, we can post... and you can definately get a ride sometime....
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

BHase

• Modded
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2005, 08:43:15 PM »
Quote from: "evil_O"
Well, other than Ben, thanks to all those with positive support on this front.

I could be persuaded to come around if you bought one of these  8):

Mazda3 Turbo Kits

I'm not sure which engine you have, 2.0 or 2.3 or otherwise...but there are kits for all of those.

I will add though that the prices are steep...

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

evil_O

• Modded
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2005, 09:58:10 PM »
Yep.  Those prices are steep and we have no plans to modify this.  We got it for several reasons.  The number one being economy for a while - both in car payment and gas.  With that we still have a fun car to drive  :D
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

TurboDub

• Modded
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2005, 10:23:08 PM »
Cool car- Congrats! I like the 3's a lot. They give you a lot of car for the $$$. I actually went to test drive one about a year ago, but ended up taking the 6 for a spin instead because they were offering huge rebates at the time. :lol:  

Post some pics when you get a chance... or I guess I can wait until the GTG.  :lol:
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

evil_O

• Modded
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2005, 02:42:51 AM »
Here are pics of the new Mazda 3. She is a little dirty, but going in tomorrow for tint and clear bra.

2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2005, 03:51:43 AM »
sweet, love the cluster

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2005, 04:29:03 AM »
Looks awesome Jer....Can't wait to see what difference the tint makes.  That car is nicely set up and the interior seems top notch for the price point.

evil_O

• Modded
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2005, 05:19:12 AM »
Looks awesome Jer....Can't wait to see what difference the tint makes.  That car is nicely set up and the interior seems top notch for the price point.

That is what I was thinking when we were looking.  There is not a lot out there in this price range that competes with what you get.

Oh.. and Ben.  It is the 2.3 engine.  

Funny thing is this.  The curb weight is about equal to my old GTI and the hp/tq numbers are rated higher.  T stated today she thinks this car is more fun to drive than the Passat  :lol:

I guess I am not that suprised given this is a 5 spd vs. a tip... and I am suprised at the sportiness of the suspension... Overall I am impressed so far.  We may bring this to the GTG... it does even better on gas than the scoob!
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2005, 01:07:30 PM »
wow, that is good news.  I have heard that the 3's have put a crunch on the MINIs on the autocross circuits due to the suspension and cornering ability.  they are rated very similarly, and I think the MINI corners like nothing else.  Your advantage there is the horsepower you get in the price range.

when you get some shots of the tint...can you get some shots of the seats for me, front and rear....and let me know if they are comfortable....they look like they should be.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2005, 03:12:54 PM »
looks nice. i have always liked those mazda's.. My old Mazda Protege' in college lasted me 180k miles with NO problems. Just the regular maintance.  Mazda really does make a great car... Enjoy it.

evil_O

• Modded
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2005, 08:07:52 PM »

when you get some shots of the tint...can you get some shots of the seats for me, front and rear....and let me know if they are comfortable....they look like they should be.

Can do.  We are going to be heading off to pick it up in about a half hour or so.  I think the seats are comfy.  Not plush but comfy.  They have side bolstering similiar to that of the Subaru.  Drivers side has lumber and they adjust much like the VW seats - up down ratcheting for height - but a lever (instead of dial) for seat back position.  Speaking of, I think this are much better seats than were in my 01 GTI - both are cloth.

It is not hard to get dialed in for a good driving position.  The steering wheel is telescopic and adjustable up and down.  The seat seems to have infinite adjustability.

Passenger side seat does not have the lumbar nor does it have the up and down adjustability.  I am 6' however, and I have a ton of head room.

We thought about the minis for a second, but then opted out since we needed four doors.  I had no idea they were/are any kind of competition for the mini on the track.... interesting.  :twisted:
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2005, 12:37:12 AM »
yeah, and to get the same features in a MINI that you have, you would need to order a car in, about 5 months out, and the cost would be around $22-23K for a non-S model.  I think you ended up in a great spot with a great car that has style and features.  Not the best performer, but neither is my MINI, and you paid MUCH less for yours.  

I showed the pics to Betsy, she thinks the car is cool, and she talked to T and said T is loving it.

evil_O

• Modded
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2005, 12:29:24 PM »
Hello- this is "T" using evil_O's login.  :lol:

Here are pics of the seats in my new ride. The little one's favorite part is the "Red Polka Dot Seats!"

2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2005, 12:31:27 PM »
those look great.  I really like the patterning on the seats.

PasSoup

• Lightly Modded
Bye bye?!?!
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2005, 01:46:32 PM »
I know it is a bit late, but did you ever consider the Saab 9-2X.  The Linear is still selling for a base of $17,821(2.5RS), and the Aero(WRX) $20,425.
Jonathon

1999 Passat 30V V6
2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6