Author Topic: Car Review - Audi A4 3.0 with CVT  (Read 1268 times)

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Car Review - Audi A4 3.0 with CVT
« on: September 05, 2003, 07:38:48 PM »
So last night I had the opportunity to drive the new Audi A4 3.0 with CVT.  Not a bad ride, but I was left with a desire for more. :evil:

It is a great car, 17 inch wheels, Dunlop Sport 9000 tires and the full luxury package of leather, sunroof, and wood interior.  I am not sure if it was the fact that the car was an automatic (Tiptronic), that there was no turbo, or that it was a little rough over the bumps.  I just could not help but feel like I was missing something – a big something. :cry:

Granted I drive a stick, with a turbo, and additional mods, but come on this is the new A4 with CVT…A supposed superior car by all accounts – even with the mods I have made, it should blow my car away.  Needless to say I was very concerned about my feelings and my pour friend who spent over $10,000 more that I did for an inferior car.  (By the way when I told her that my car was better, she hotly contested my opinion, and flatly refused to take mine for a test drive.)  After much thought, I came to this conclusion…

First, the 1.8 turbo engine is a vastly superior engine to a 6 cylinder.  Why?  Because the turbo makes the car so much fun to drive.   Second, the ability to modify and tune the 1.8T  enable one to truly get the most out of the engines potential, afterall it was very wisely over-engineered by VAG.

So my advice is if you have a friend who is thinking about buying a new car, make them drive yours.  Do not let them spend their hard earned cash on an inferior car.  If you friend is like mine and they fell that have to spend $35,000 + on a car, remind them that there are plenty of mods to be done on a B5 that will help them spend their cash.  But we all already know that
 :wink:
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2003, 08:00:14 PM »
That's funny you mention about letting others drive for comparison.  I drove my Dad's Lexus LS 430 to Cali in early August because my alignment was off.  He always beags about the V8 and how fast it is and this and that.

He finally came back and admired how quick my car was in terms of accel and speed.  He didn't realize that little 4 banger could do all that.

Of course his Lexus compared to my car has the worst acceleration in the world to me because it is a luxury car and they aren't trying to pin ya to your seat.

I know Amanda test drove the new A4 when it first came out and she had some dislikes about the platform, handling and feel.

On another audi note, there is someone who lives near me who has a friend of Audi or something because there are always kick ass A4s parked there.  The other day there was what appeared to be an authentic MTM.

Thanks for the input on the A4, it is suprising to see what is expected to be such a strong performer comes up sub par.  Just goes to show research pays by saving you money.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2003, 08:00:14 PM »