Author Topic: Turbo up here, waste?  (Read 1820 times)

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.johnwilker.com
Turbo up here, waste?
« on: September 05, 2005, 12:12:22 AM »
So we're looking to replace the A6. It's burning, or otherwise disposing of oil in a super quick way, like 2 litres in 1700 miles. Since I'm the second owner, I don't believe I have any options as far as warranty, unless any of you folks know beetter.

We've been looking at our options, preferring something AWD, and Nav is a must, rules out Subie, keeps VW and Audi in the running. Nissan's Murano is also in the running. My question: To afford the A4 avant that I want, I'd need to go 2.0T, how much does the altitude here impact the performance? Am I wasting my time?

Thoughts?

Oh by the way, flew in 9/2 loving it here! We're staying in an extended stay suite for the time being, but man, the sunrises, sunsets, air quality... great.
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

jfrahm

• Modded
Turbo up here, waste?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 12:21:55 AM »
What year Audi? Model?  Miles? I though the warranty transferred at no cost.
The factory guidelines for oil usage are generally quite high (like 1 liter per 1000km) but if you are under warranty there might still be some recourse.

Turbos are great at altitude.  Since on these modern cars boost is controlled by manifold absolute pressure, we get more or less sea level performace in Denver.  A bit less up at 8-9000' but still better than an NA car.  The ECU limits boost at high altitude to prevent overspeeding of the turbo.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Turbo up here, waste?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 12:21:55 AM »

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
Turbo up here, waste?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 02:11:01 AM »
2001, A6, 2.8

67k miles.

I'm not sure. Suppose I can ask, I assumed it didn't.

That's good to know. I assumed the thinner air might be problematic. Very good to know that is not the case.

Thanks!!
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

evil_O

• Modded
Re: Turbo up here, waste?
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 01:18:55 PM »
Quote from: "jwilker"

We've been looking at our options, preferring something AWD, and Nav is a must, rules out Subie, keeps VW and Audi in the running.

Thoughts?

My thought is this.... how does a Nav requirement rule out Subie?  2006 models have Nav as an option - Legacy GTs specifically... and that fugly but you might like it, Tribeca has it too.
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Turbo up here, waste?
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 01:52:29 PM »
Like evil_O said, subaru has nav now, and there are possible software upgrades to provide digital gauges for boost, etc.  They have that for the JDM now, so I bet it will be here soon.  Nice to be able to have the display provide that for you without having to add a boost gauge.

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
Turbo up here, waste?
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 04:43:08 PM »
Is it standard? the subie site didn't have it as an option, at least not for outbacks. I'll look around more.

Thanks for the correction.

Any one know the best way to assess whether the Audi warranty will extend to me?
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Turbo up here, waste?
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 05:51:07 PM »
Turbo's are a great advantage here in CO.

NA cars are not bad, but you will need greater displacement to maintain performance at 5000+ altitude.

Get the turbo if you can afford it.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

shummer

• Modded
Turbo up here, waste?
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 12:44:39 PM »
Turbo highly recommended. Of course, everyone so far that responded are turbo owners. Any NA folks want to respond? No idea about the Audi warranty.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Turbo up here, waste?
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 01:20:37 PM »
My warranty stayed with the car even though I'm the second owner. Just take it into a dealership and they'll tell you the status. Sounds like your's is up though, most are 4 year/50k miles. After I bought my A4 it still had a year of warranty (gone now). Still not to 50k miles tho.

I'll second the Legacy GT suggestions though - its certainly worth a look if you can get the nav system you want in there. Going out on a limb here, but I'm betting it will be a bit cheaper than the 2.0T A4.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

jfrahm

• Modded
Turbo up here, waste?
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 01:50:50 PM »
Might as well check with Audi to see if you are covered.  You might actually be covered under an emmissions warrany, many of those tun to 100K.  The PCV system is an emissions system, and if it stops workling correctly it can pressurize the crankcase and force oil out past the rings.

If the engine got sludged up due to overheating and/or lack of oil changes (or oil changes on cold oil) it might have stuck rings, those can often be freed up with AutoRX or something similar.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

SivNiz

• Stock
    • http://
Turbo up here, waste?
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 05:12:59 PM »
I believe turbos and superchargers were originally designed for airplanes, so they should be quite beneficial for this altitude.  It will only aid in getting enough air to the engine, offsetting the effects of altitude.

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
Turbo up here, waste?
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 05:24:37 PM »
I'll drop the car at Commonwealth Audi (SoCal) when I get back into town.

Thanks guys. I'm gonna head over to the local VW/Audi, Subie and Nissan dealers this week to start looking around.

Much obliged.
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

TurboDub

• Modded
Turbo up here, waste?
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 06:08:47 PM »
+1 for Turbo...+1 for Subie too, hehe

NA engines lose about 3.3% of their HP for every 1000 feet above sea level they rise. So at 5000 feet, you are lookig at about a 20% deficit! Hit 10,000 ft (up in the mountains) and you will be WAY down on power.

I had my NA 97 Outback loaded with 5 adults up in Rocky Mtn National Park one time (10,000 ft or so) and I had a REALLY hard time getting it rolling from a standstill. 8O  :lol:

With my Legacy GT I hardly notice any difference...Just my 2 cents
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT