Author Topic: APR CHIP INSTALLED!!!  (Read 2064 times)

RobD

• Modded
APR CHIP INSTALLED!!!
« on: September 17, 2003, 09:07:58 PM »
I just had to let you all know how happy I am with my new ecu and apr chip.  I went to Autosportwerks yesterday to have the chip reprogrammed from 93 octane to 91 octane.  Dennis wrote up the ticket and he had Brendon do the work.  Brendon came out and showed me the solder points and suggested that they be touched up to make sure they were good.  I said go for it.  that was suppossed to be an extra 15 minutes of shop time. ( the reprogram was a half an hour shop time)
So he comes out and i talked him into helping me throw it in my ride.  We get it all hooked up and the car does not recognize the different ecu.  Theft deterent system.  So Brendon goes back in and downloads a program from APR to recognize the new ecu only after reistalling the original ecu to see.  We do the swap out and finally it works.  We take it around the block and all checked out on his vagcom.  We get back and they only charged me the origianl fee of half an hour shop time!  For 42.50 I got close to 2 hrs of time.  Brendon said they learned about the immobilizer code for both VW's and Audis.  That was the first time they had that problem and that is why the charge was what it was.  First class group with lots of sweet a$$ stuff in the shop.  

The A4 avant that won the editors prize for the 1.8t shoot out was in the lobby and was SWEET>  Sportec everything.  Just plain bad A$$.

I'm truly a happy camper with the difference the chip made.  It even seemed better this morning.  Now i just have to keep my foot from being too heavy.  

Roberto

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
APR CHIP INSTALLED!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2003, 03:16:46 PM »
Good news!  I am glad to hear that you are happy and we have another local place to upgrade chips!
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

APR CHIP INSTALLED!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2003, 03:16:46 PM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
APR CHIP INSTALLED!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 01:47:33 PM »
Killer Rob! I'm stoked! Say, when are you gonna get pics of your ride up?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Chas

• Modded
APR CHIP INSTALLED!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2003, 01:42:05 AM »
That sounds interesting Rob. So they are pretty tight the APR folks huh? That's great to know we now have a legit local APR rep. :lol:

So how's the car now after several more days of seat time?
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

RobD

• Modded
APR CHIP INSTALLED!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2003, 09:56:25 AM »
JR - I'll try to get some posted this week.  My family in Ohio is still waiting to see some pics of our 6 month old son too.

Chas - I would not say tight. I wanted to post and say a few good things about them since my first experience with them turned me off.  This time around I was very happy with how they handled everything.  

The chip definately felt better than the stock unit and felt even better after a day to "settle in".  Super strong in 1st & 2nd gears and very strong after that. I do have an Audi TT DV coming this week and hope to get that installed soon.  The chipped boost is nice but seems to be all or nothing.  Keep in mind that I had a V6 before this thing and it feels so different in a turbo.  That's a good thing. :D

I got my Eibachs this past week and Z28 Driver (Joe) is sending me my Bilsteins this week.  Suspension GTG soon?

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
APR CHIP INSTALLED!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2003, 04:57:33 PM »
So Rob, how long did it take for your car to fully adjust to the new software?  Are you still noticing improvements or was the transition done in a day or two?
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

RobD

• Modded
APR CHIP INSTALLED!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2003, 10:04:44 AM »
Pat,  I'd say it only took a day to fully adjust to the new software.  The initial day of install it seemed stronger and Brendons vag com showed full boost but it didn't feel as strong as the next morning when I drove it to work.

I still have a stock air filter and DV.  Will I feel much difference when I change these out?  I was checking out the GB for the Brullen exhaust and so damn tempted to jump on it if they get down to $650.00.  Christy would kick my A$$ if I did! :oops:

Rob

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
APR CHIP INSTALLED!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2003, 12:04:49 PM »
As long as your air filter is clean now, there should be no power difference with a new one.
As for the DV, as long as it's functioning properly now, I doubt you'll see much of a difference there.  Not sure on this one.
The uprated DV would benefit you more by reducing the chances of a potential problem.  There might be a little difference, but just don't know enough about them to be sure.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson