Author Topic: Your thoughts on VDO guages.  (Read 3420 times)

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Your thoughts on VDO guages.
« on: September 08, 2003, 01:07:27 AM »
I found this thread on CB5 and wanted to know your thoughts on the quality and look.  Look about quarter of the way down to D ZIGNER's post.

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55086&highlight=cobalt

I went to 42 Draft Designs and they are offering the guage for $30.00
http://www.42draftdesigns.com/vc150121.htm
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 03:46:28 PM »
I believe Chas uses a VDO in his ride...I was thinking of picking one up myself
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 03:46:28 PM »

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2003, 03:55:00 PM »
I found out they offer an a-Pod/boost guage kit for $90.00.  I was looking at Solution 9.

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/mk4apillar.htm

I think it looks really good.  I would get the black pod, and since it would be right above my black dash, I think it would work and not clash too much with the tan a pillar.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2003, 04:05:06 PM »
That really looks great...I'm looking for a dual guage pod though...I'm gonna stick oil temp in it I think
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2003, 04:14:00 PM »
Quote from: "StarlightB5"
I found out they offer an a-Pod/boost guage kit for $90.00.  I was looking at Solution 9.

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/mk4apillar.htm

Dave,

I kind of like these. I would be very intersted in getting one in the future. In some of the pictures the pods on the a-pillar look tan. :?  Do they look tan to you or is it my monitor? I hope they make them in tan. Are you and I the only ones with tan interior?

Mark
mad wagon

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2003, 05:06:01 PM »
I think they are only made in black, but most people paint them.  I beleive the recommendation is to go to home depot and have them paint match your interior so that they can mix up a can o paint for ya.

There are some "perfect" fit gagues out there where you remove your a-pillar material and send it in in exchange for a pod covered with the material that mounts in the a-pillar.  Very slick.

It is different than the one in the link in that is is the whole a-pillar cloth replacement so it looks like it is built into the car.  If I find a link I'll attach it.

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2003, 06:24:05 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
There are some "perfect" fit gagues out there where you remove your a-pillar material and send it in in exchange for a pod covered with the material that mounts in the a-pillar.  Very slick.

It is different than the one in the link in that is is the whole a-pillar cloth replacement so it looks like it is built into the car.  If I find a link I'll attach it.

Ooooh, I like that. If I get a boost guage I want it to look like it's built into the a-pillar. I hope you can find the link.

Mark
mad wagon

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2003, 10:07:15 AM »
Madigan, they come in gray and black.  If you look close, they have the fabric already around them.  Looking at the install instructions the fabric tabs wrap around the sides of the pillars and are locked in that way.  Here is the PDF file that explains the install:
http://www.42draftdesigns.com/installation/a-pillar.pdf

I think you and I are the only tans in the group.

Jay, I hope you can find the link.  If not, I would like to get the black due to the stealthy look from the outside.  Black pod on black dash.  :D

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2003, 04:40:56 PM »
I have the tan interior as well.  Do a search on CB5, maybe even under the GB section for the perfect fit.  I haven't had time to do it, but I know it;s out there.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2003, 05:52:58 PM »
I've got tan interior as well...
 :?:
...just for reference
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2003, 08:02:46 PM »
Quote from: "TLJR20v"
I've got tan interior as well...
 :?:
...just for reference

So does Alan.  Personally, the DIN mounted Gauges like these...

...are very nice and smooth, but not very well placed when driving under high boost, which is when you would be looking at it.  Just my opinion though...

FYI...The Omori Gauges were supposed to come out a year ago and never did.  AWE was a retailer for them so when they went down in flames, AWE saw an opportunity...smart people...
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2003, 08:51:22 PM »
I agree!  That is why I am looking at the pods.

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2003, 01:56:07 AM »
Well the only down side to VDO gauges, as far as the vision Plus series gauges, is that they buzz under boost. And it's really annoying to listen to. Boris has the same gauge that I have in my car. You have to use a fuel filter in line with the gauge to get it to not buzz every time you rev up the engine. Boris' gauge sounds like an angry hornet! Not good. Mine on the other hand doesn't make any sounds at all. But Mine also reads on the low side I think. Boris' car and mine are almost identical as far as year and engine mods. Yet he always sees a higher peak boost on his VDO gaige than I do on mine. The only difference between his car and mine is he has a Tip tranny. Not a subtle difference, butwe should be seeing a simular peak boost reading. He might be seeing a higher reading because of the Tip tranny not being as efficiant as the 5 spd gearbox. And therefore the ECU holds more pressure via the wastegate. But that is pure speculation on my part. I think a bigger reason for the different peak boost readings is the type of fuel filt I use inline with the VDO gauge. Mine may dampen out more of the pulses and thus more of the sound than Boris' setup. It would stand to reason that if I were to change the filter than I might see a hight peak boost, but also have an annoying buzz.

I think the real answer is to use an Autometer Boost gauge. They don't need any fuel filters inline to dampen noises.  :roll:
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2003, 02:56:47 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I guess it may be back to the drawing board! 8O

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2003, 07:24:44 PM »
The DIN mounted guages are nice, but as Alan and I were flying around the track we agreed that it's not the safest place to have the guages. You can't read the guages from the corner of your eye which has to leave the road to catch the dials.
Yes, the pillar pods may seem a bit more obtrusive, but they're a bit safer in my opinion.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2003, 02:17:13 PM »
Hey guys, just an update. While I was under the hood of my car this past weekend creating my lastest mod (see this post: http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57359 ) I desided to work on my boost gauge and see if I could resolve some issues. I decided to remove the fuel filter I had place in line to dampen the buzzing sound most VDO gauges have. Well once I removed the filter and reconnected the hose that goes up to the gauge to the brass "T" I have in the FPR vacumn line I was suprised to hear nothing!  8O The gauge didn't buzz at all! SWEET! I have heard Boris' VDO gauge (it's exactly like mine) and it buzzes like an angry hornet. So I guess I will run with the fuel filter removed for a while and see if that doesn't show out more of a boost signal. I did notice a slightly higher boost reading right after I did the work. About .5 PSI higher. So the fuel filter does dampen out some of the boost signal to the gauge. Hmmm... But I still think I would like to get an Autometer boost gauge.
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!