Author Topic: Staying true to my VW roots  (Read 7001 times)

Scuba2001

• Modded
Staying true to my VW roots
« on: August 28, 2005, 04:05:29 AM »
Got off work this afternoon at noon, and was then out all afternoon and evening, car shopping.  I know some may remember that I was looking at an 05 Evo 8 MR.  Well, to put it straight... I couldnt get financed, and insurance and monthly payments would have been huge.

So, discouraged about that, we went to the local VW dealer to look at a new Passat.  Looked things over, and I wasnt all that impressed with it.  Mom went in to use the restroom, and came out and said, "Hey, there is this car in the showroom called a GLI, have you seen them?  They look really nice."

I told the salesman that the Passat was a little too large for my liking and something a little smaller may be good.  So we went inside and really looked things over.  The one on the showroom floor was an '06 Salsa Red GLI with DSG, xenons, XM, and 17" wheels.

Since I didnt like the idea of having an automatic, eventhough the DSG's are faster then the manuals, we asked about a manual.  It just so happened that they did have a manual.  6 speed transmission, sport package, 17" wheels, xenons, same options as the one in the showroom, except manual transmission.  I took that for a test drive, and was sold.

Worked up some numbers, and ended up with $25k out the door.  I didn't get the best price around, but IMO, it was good considering the condition of the Passat.  I was given $3200 and change for the Passat.  IMO, it was worth it.

I have to go back on Monday to give them the title to the Passat, get my 2 extra keys, along with some other misc items.  But overall, I am very satisfied the the new Jettas.  Overall build quailty is a little less then the Passat, but its still nice imo.

More pictures to follow once I clean things up later Sunday afternoon.

Steve

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 04:24:12 AM »
Congrats on your GLI purchase!

$3500 on your Passat?!!!
What year and milage on your car? that seems very low.

I never liked the Jetta V until I saw the GLI today and knowing that the 2.0T with standard Xenons, and DSG, Nav system and could be had as options.  Eventhough the Jetta V is almost as large as the B5 and B5.5 Passats which is a little too large for my preference, I wouldn't mind going for the GLI -- when I could get those stylish 18" GTI wheels, black out the chrome trim around the windows, and lower the suspension so that it doesn't look like it was standing on stilts.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 04:24:12 AM »

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 04:32:36 AM »
I believe i got $3200 and change.

Considering that its been leaking coolant for the past week now to no end, has 126k miles, and is a '98 1.8T, which was very problematic...

I consider it a decent price.

I walked away a happy camper.  I have reliable transportation, extended warranty, along with a few other things that I didnt have with the Passat.  So, hopefully now, I no longer have to carry my tool bag in the Jetta whenever I go somewhere.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 04:35:00 AM »
Awesome! Looks great, I want more pics!

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 04:49:30 AM »
You'll have them once it gets light.  Hopefully up by this evening.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 05:25:48 AM »
Nice! congrats on the new GLI - I second the "more pics" idea... ttwwmp!
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 12:44:39 PM »
Congrats! The color looks cool, can't wait to see more pictures.

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 05:07:24 PM »
Here's some ore pictures.  More to come today after an evening GTG.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 06:45:51 PM »
I'll say it again..AWESOME, just awesome Steve!

I know you had your heart set on a Evo, but I think you made a great decision with that car. The GLI looks fantastic!

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 07:17:28 PM »
The red looks nice, especially how the taillights blend with the rest of the body.  Cool guages.

Are Recaro cloth seats and BBS wheels available?
I really like the retro tartan pattern cloth sport seats of the GTI V.

tweakeDub

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2005, 07:31:23 PM »
Sweet car, there looks like there is a ton of room in the back seats now....you know what that means. 8O  :lol:

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2005, 10:40:34 PM »
Still love it, but for some reason, from the first picture you showed, I had the impression that the car was going to be some sort of tangerine orange. That would've been pretty cool too, IMO, but I definitely do like the red.

Quote from: tweakeDub
Sweet car, there looks like there is a ton of room in the back seats now....you know what that means.

Extra child seats?  8O

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

scott

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2005, 10:56:34 PM »
Quote from: "Scuba2001"

Is that ECS keychain from DATR last year?

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2005, 11:56:40 PM »
You guys are a trip, lol.  I dont think I have the balls to get jiggy with it in the car.  That leather will never be the same.   :oops:    :lol:

Red is a hard color to photograph.  The lighting has to be perfect for a picture to really show its true depth.  And you arent the 1st person to think it was a tangerine orange color.  That would have been cool though.

Recaro seats are not available from VW, nor are BBS wheels, afaik.  The plaid cloth is available, but not an option that I had available to me on Saturday.  The seats are actually VW's "sport" seats, which IMO, are VERY supportive in the thighs, shoulders, and middle back.  Not as supportive as the Evo seats, but supportive enough.

That ECS thing I got when I made my last order from ECS for engine mounts about a year or more ago.  Been on my chain since then.

I went and got some more pictures with a few friends tonight also.  Polizei_99, and VR6Slvr from Vortex, along with IronCross from DrunkDubs.  Polizie didnt bring out his car, as he was riding with me.  But he helped get our cars lined up and was our offical photography expert.  So, on with the pictures.

And thanks again everyone for the compliments.  So far, its a great car, and I cant wait to see what mods become available for it over the next few months.  Im already looking at chipping with APR.  252hp and 303ft lbs of torque.  Thanks VW for bringing FSI into our vocabulary.

tweakeDub

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2005, 02:34:02 AM »
That type of power is awesome for a car like that with just a chip...amazing.

And BTW the comment about the back seat....Gettin' jiggy with it???? I meant it be real good to fall asleep in when you're wasted. :lol:

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005, 09:51:32 AM »
Quote from: "tweakeDub"
I meant it be real good to fall asleep in when you're wasted. :lol:

Haha, "yeah, right!!"   :wink:

And yes... that kinda power with just a chip is pretty sweet.  The HP is about the same with most chips previously on the market for other generations, but the torque is where its at.  A 96 ft lb increase from stock is pretty impressive.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2005, 01:17:38 PM »
I like it!   very nice looking car, and there is something classic about a GLI too.

:D
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2005, 01:29:12 PM »
friggin sweet.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

PasSoup

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2005, 01:36:07 PM »
Very nice.
Jonathon

1999 Passat 30V V6
2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2005, 02:00:35 PM »
Quote from: "gragravar"
I like it!   very nice looking car, and there is something classic about a GLI too.

You're right.  I dont know what it is, but when I go and look at the earlier GLI's, they all had that special touch to them.  Cant exactly put a finger on it, but they are classic to VW's name.

Thanks for the compliments though.  I kinda miss the Passat at this point, but once I get used to the GLI, I think I'll be pretty satisfied.  There's one thing that I dont miss, and thats the question I have to ask myself every morning... "Is the car going to start this morning?"

LOL, its sad when you have to ask yourself that.

Oh, and btw... Im outside in the garage waxing the car as I type.  I must say that its hot as balls out there.  Living in this swamp called Charleston has its better moments, and this humidity is NOT one of them.   :roll:

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2005, 02:00:56 PM »
Wow this is the 1st new GLI I have seen in CO. Congrats! How does it drive/handle? What was the sticker price on it?
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

PasSoup

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2005, 02:04:50 PM »
I think Steve is in SC.
Jonathon

1999 Passat 30V V6
2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2005, 04:22:00 PM »
Quote from: "TurboDub"
Wow this is the 1st new GLI I have seen in CO. Congrats! How does it drive/handle? What was the sticker price on it?

Quote from: "PasSoup"
I think Steve is in SC.

^ He is correct, I live just outside of Charleston, SC.

It drives a little stiff on Charleston's rougher roads, but nothing that I haven't felt gotten accustomed to with other cars.  The sticker was $28k and change.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2005, 04:38:25 PM »
I like that front end much better than the base model with the chrome...the black looks far superior.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2005, 05:20:19 PM »
Coaching Concepts has a custom orange Golf V:

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2005, 06:26:23 PM »
Car looks fantastic!!!

I too am a fan of the black and not the chrome in the front.  I just wish the entire car was red and did not have the black lowers.

Keep us posted on your long term impressions, Steve.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

kutarkvalidus

• Stock
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2005, 07:07:59 PM »
Damn nice ride man.

On a side note, 28k for a jetta?  Cars are gettin too damned expensive...

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2005, 07:29:15 PM »
I'll keep everyone posted on my impressions.

1st impression is:  XM sucks, imo, compared to Sirius.  I've yet to find a decent current day rock station that plays a wide variety.

Quote from: "kutarkvalidus"
Damn nice ride man.

On a side note, 28k for a jetta?  Cars are gettin too damned expensive...

Thanks.  $28k sticker, yes.  That was with the leather, sunroof package, and that added on $3200 iirc?  It had leather, heated seats, heated mirrors, and a few other misc items.  If it wasn't for that, the price would be a little more reasonable.

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2005, 11:28:08 PM »
Love the orange on that MkV Golf. Definitely a cool color.

Most importantly, it has a "Passenger Airbag Off" switch in the center console so that if you really hate the person sitting next to you, for whatever reason (e.g. they are being a backseat driver, or bossy, they smell bad, or (s)he's breaking up with you), you have some force behind your threats.  :twisted:

Ben

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2005, 11:30:51 PM »
Quote from: "BHase"
Most importantly, it has a "Passenger Airbag Off" switch in the center console so that if you really hate the person sitting next to you, for whatever reason (e.g. they are being a backseat driver, or bossy, they smell bad, or (s)he's breaking up with you), you have some force behind your threats.  :twisted:

Ben

You say that, but its not really a switch.  Its more or less just a warning light.