Author Topic: What are you going to do with rising gas costs?  (Read 14797 times)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
What are you going to do with rising gas costs?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2005, 07:49:10 PM »
I say, go high tech and get the Bob bike trailer....serious style!!!

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2005, 07:51:19 PM »
Only if I can have the flag and customize so I can put "Haseman" on the it in bold lettering.  

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2005, 07:51:19 PM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2005, 11:31:47 AM »
Quote from: "evil_O"
Sounds like I really need a moped.

I think this is the funniest visual I've had in a long time...Jer pulling up to the station with his hockey-sized duffle on a moped. Even better if it's the one with pedals.

Okay, to alleviate the "JR's an idiot" statements on this thread....

I've had at least three dirtbikes at any given point since I was about 12 up through college. My dad's had big cruisers the whole time and has finally settled in with his '02 Fat Boy. I'm always trying to dig up a bike when we're visiting so I can ride with him. I love riding. I think it's just a blast.

Now I'm married and my wife says bikes are dangerous and never wants me to have one. She's ammending that statement as we see our gas dollars budgeted go up and up and up. Will I have to drive my car in sometimes? Of course. Will I enjoy the bike more? Probably. Will I get one now? Probably not. I'm finishing the basement...

Back to the topic at hand. I filled up last night at $2.79. $25 for a half tank. I'm not entirely ready yet to lose the 18's, but I am very interested if anybody wants to trade 17's for 18's. I am going to be pulling out the larger injectors though. My MBC is hosed, so I can't turn the boost down at all. It's stuck at full-on again. That does keep me at partial throttle though...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2005, 12:01:42 PM »
I was actually talking with an investor and financial planner yesterday about the issue.  Rising fuel costs for most individuals are something we only see at the gas pump; however it is the costs that are increasing elsewhere that we have to watch out for.  Everything travels on a truck, train, boat, airplane and all of those transportation methods cost more today.  One of my clients is a logistics company that ships truck loads across the country.  They recently passed on a $.10 per mile increase to cover additional costs.  This ultimately is paid by us.

With that in mind, I personally agree with Jay.  If you do the real math, the costs of fuel today probably range from $25 to $40 per month more for the average person, from their averages last year.  Since I drive 3500 miles per month, itís a bit more but am I going to stop modding my car to save 6mpg? Probably not, because that is something I am willing to accept.  For me, that 6mpg difference equates to $100 per month in savings.  For most people, it is less but still a significant amount.  It is the people  that are selling their current vehicles at a loss of equity to get into something with better mileage that I worry about... it is probable that the return on their investment will take several years, not calculating any loss they took to get into somthing else.

There is going to be a point (I think $90/barrel) when the market can no longer bare the rising costs of energy.  Consumers are a part of the picture, but it is also manufacturing, production of goods, transportation that also play into the picture.   When the demand for energy suddenly falls because no one can afford it, the prices of energy will recede because the supply will start to increase again.  Ultimately it is going to be a very interesting dynamic over the next year with energy costs, the feds trying to curtail inflation, and the economy's growth.  

Itís not what we pay at the pump today I worry about... wait until you see your gas bill this winter.

Jason
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2005, 12:22:57 PM »
At the risk of soundling like a stuck-up ass in my previous post, I personally would cut down on other expenses before selling or reverting my car back to stock... it is a hobby and source of enjoyment.  

I was checking wholesale gas futures for September get this $.51 cents higher than August... ouch.  That means we could be paying between $3.29 and $3.59 by the end of next month for premium... fun.

Those prices could even be higher if refineries in the gulf area are as damaged as people think.  Because that region produces 10% of the fuel we consume in the USA, it is going to be a significant shock already serious fuel inventory issue.
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2005, 12:24:01 PM »
Quote from: "JDawg"

Itís not what we pay at the pump today I worry about... wait until you see your gas bill this winter.

Jason

Oh crap, I didn't even think about that. Time to insulate my apartment out here, everything right now is single pane windows.  St. Louis can be a cold, cold place for sustained periods of time.  This is when I wish I had gone to school somewhere else, someplace...warmer.

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2005, 01:12:11 PM »
And JR, no one, including myself, said or is implying that you are an "idiot." I just pointed out costs. That's it.  A lot of people think a motorcycle is a quick solution to the problem, but in most cases it is not because of the costs to get into it even if you are an experienced rider, buying a bike costs money.

As for de-modding. I agree that there isn't much of a need at this point, we aren't far off from the colder weather and the point wheere most switch over to their winter wheels which are usually smaller anyway.

In regard to injectors or any other fuel and engine management changes I don't think there is a cause for alarm their either.

How about this for a dangerous fuel saving recommendation, draft!

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2005, 01:32:16 PM »
I just ordered one of these

and plan to ride my motorcycle through the winter.... 8O  :lol:

:idea: I will also turn the heat off in my apartment and just wear it to bed...
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2005, 01:33:05 PM »
hhahahahhah...awesome! Get me one too!

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2005, 02:02:28 PM »
Quote from: "TurboDub"
I just ordered one of these

and plan to ride my motorcycle through the winter.... 8O  :lol:

:idea: I will also turn the heat off in my apartment and just wear it to bed...

With the gas costs, I'm going to need that just sitting indoors.

Ben

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2005, 02:22:54 PM »
Seriously - I do ride for most of the winter.  as long as the temp is above about 10 deg F and there is no snow on the ground.

the secret is one of these:  

it is an electrically heated vest you plug into the bike.  keeps your body core warm which keeps the blood flowing to your extremities to keep them warm too.

http://www.bmw-riders-gear.com/BMWRA_products.asp?page=14&c=Clothing%3A+Other&sc1=Other&m=MC%2DRiders&c1=Clothing&type=&r1=ALL&md=&a1=ON&d1=ON&i1=ON&p1=1&s1=

other companies also make heated gloves and socks that can share the same ascessory outlet on the bike.   8)  It is pretty hard core when you go that far though.  Then again it is pretty hard core parking a motorcycle in front of the office when the ride in was 12 degrees and the expected high temp is only in the 30's.   8O
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2005, 02:31:45 PM »
Nice Andrew.  Some of us old schoolers don;t get those fancy pancy accessory outlets ;)  We live off the heat produced by the engine. So basically my legs satay warm while the rest of me freezes. :)

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2005, 02:37:48 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
Nice Andrew.  Some of us old schoolers don;t get those fancy pancy accessory outlets ;)  We live off the heat produced by the engine. So basically my legs satay warm while the rest of me freezes. :)

my bike didn't come with one either - I had to install it.  don't save all the mod money for the car - you can mod the bike too, you know.   :wink:
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2005, 02:45:01 PM »
Heated grips help a lot too. On my CBR I installed a set of stick-on handlebar heating elements designed for snowmobiles and added new grips on top of 'em.  They work great.  I put a big piece of heat shrink over the LH bar first (with some glue under it) to insulate the bar from the element, otherwise the LH element has to heat up the whole left bar while the RH side is insulated by the throttle tube.  This helps the bars heat evenly.

You can get electric gloves too, but they are kind of bulky and I generally prefer lighter gloves and heated grips.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2005, 02:54:53 PM »
There's alot of things you can do. However, I did lose 100mi. on a tank in my car. As far as de-modding goes. Some of this is just a kick in the pants to get some things done that have been planned for a while.

Some of you make alot of money so seeing $3-4/gal. at the pump is not a huge issue, but for others it is. As far as the rest of the market? It's not predicted that gas costs will spark rising inflation until it's around $4-5/gal. Or course, nobody counted on the effects of the Hurricane. Which, I think will have a greater economical impact than just oil drilling.

General consumers won't really change their habits either until it starts making a noticable dent in their budget. You'll need a bigger gas bill to register in a bigger bank account. From what it sounds like here, that's true.

There's steps I'm going to take that just need to be done regardless. As far as the car? When the turbo goes, I'm putting in a KO4 and programming, but for now, it's not running optimal, and I can still 100mi. extra a tank. That's also my choice. Hopefully, I won't need to because the Saudi's will save us :)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2005, 03:33:01 PM »
Frankly, it doesn't matter how much money one makes, $3 - $4 /gallon is a lot. We have seen a huge jump in gas prices in just the last couple years. It affects everyone. However, little changes as you, I and everyone else has indicated can help offset those hardships.

JDawg made the most important point, the real hit isn't at the pump for us, but the costs that will be passed onto us from everyone else.  I had my pool table moved on Friday, I called when we bought the house at the end of June and got a quote. Called 2 weeks ago and the quote was $25 more. Their reason, growing fuel costs.

What we really need are energy efficient monkeys to push our cars around. When going up hil, press a button and they pop out of the trunk, and help push the car up the hill to save some gas.  Sure you might lose a few monkeys int he process, but in the end you'll save money on gas ;).

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2005, 03:44:08 PM »
What we really need are energy efficient monkeys to push our cars around. When going up hil, press a button and they pop out of the trunk, and help push the car up the hill to save some gas.  Sure you might lose a few monkeys int he process, but in the end you'll save money on gas ;).

Won't that drive monkey futures up?  Cole, what are monkey futures trading at currently?
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2005, 03:47:00 PM »

:?:  :?:  :?:  :?:

yeah, not looking forward to the inflationary impact on all consumer goods yet.  Maybe I should find a job where I can work at home.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2005, 03:49:04 PM »
Quote from: "ianacole"
Won't that drive monkey futures up?  Cole, what are monkey futures trading at currently?

maybe we could switch to penguins instead:
http://www.penguinwarehouse.com/

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2005, 04:10:49 PM »
I am going to change NOTHING! we bought 2 cars to commute with and enjoy.  I am not going to do something because gas is expensive. Yep i spent $43 yesterday to fill up my car, oh well. That is just a associated cost of having a vehicle. Atleast i have a vehicle i like and want. It would be different if i didn't like my vehicle.

Actually these next 2 months i think we will do more driving than usual. We are picking up our new kayaks on friday and my wife has a whole list of places she would like to visit and try kayaking before the water gets too cold. We take her TDi kayaking and with the boats on the roof we still get about 46mpg.

We just bought new XC skate skis to, so i know we will spend more weekends this winter up in the mountains.  With the snow we will take my A4.

The gas prices are an uncontrollable peice of your daily life. Everything we buy will cost a little more, but i am not going to out of my way to change the way i do things.  I may make my routine trips and errands a little smarter like Jon said, But this is life. I still want to have fun and as long as i can afford to enjoy my life i am going to keep things just like they are right now. :)

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2005, 04:12:20 PM »
...or an army of squirrels. Seriously, think of the import and maintenance cost of a pack of penguins or a group of monkeys. Why waste the money, when we've got plenty of unemployed squirrels in the area?  And all they eat is nuts.

Ben

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2005, 04:14:38 PM »
Quote from: "ianacole"

monkey futures are down. The expected demand for trunk moneys is declining in a 2 fold relation to oil futures. Things don't look good for the trunk money producers.  I just bought some put contracts on my trunk monkeys.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2005, 04:18:45 PM »
Quote from: "Eric18T"
monkey futures are down. The expected demand for trunk moneys is declining in a 2 fold relation to oil futures. Things don't look good for the trunk money producers.  I just bought some put contracts on my trunk monkeys.

I've heard that a restructuring of the trunk monkey supplier organization, coupled with a resurgence in demand, is looking promising for future profits, and is promising for investor portfolios.  However, growth in the penguin and squirrel sectors may reduce forcasted profits.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2005, 04:26:03 PM »
Quote from: "jayryan"

Some of you make alot of money so seeing $3-4/gal. at the pump is not a huge issue, but for others it is. As far as the rest of the market? It's not predicted that gas costs will spark rising inflation until it's around $4-5/gal. Or course, nobody counted on the effects of the Hurricane. Which, I think will have a greater economical impact than just oil drilling.

I agree JR, everyone is affected by this differently.  For, I can pass on higher gas costs through my business to my clients, so I have a recourse for paying more at the pump.  It is the normal average person that is going to dictate what the market will do in the future.  When people start racking up debt on the cards and eventually run out of options to pay down their card balances, we will really start seeing the affects of what higher engergy costs are going to do to our economy.  It is going to be a delayed effect that we will not see for several months.  I expect that within the next 6 months, demand for energy will decrease starting the process of inventory increases.
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2005, 04:43:21 PM »
Quote from: "Eric18T"
I am going to change NOTHING! we bought 2 cars to commute with and enjoy.  I am not going to do something because gas is expensive. Yep i spent $43 yesterday to fill up my car, oh well. That is just a associated cost of having a vehicle. Atleast i have a vehicle i like and want. It would be different if i didn't like my vehicle.

Actually these next 2 months i think we will do more driving than usual. We are picking up our new kayaks on friday and my wife has a whole list of places she would like to visit and try kayaking before the water gets too cold. We take her TDi kayaking and with the boats on the roof we still get about 46mpg.

We just bought new XC skate skis to, so i know we will spend more weekends this winter up in the mountains.  With the snow we will take my A4.

The gas prices are an uncontrollable peice of your daily life. Everything we buy will cost a little more, but i am not going to out of my way to change the way i do things.  I may make my routine trips and errands a little smarter like Jon said, But this is life. I still want to have fun and as long as i can afford to enjoy my life i am going to keep things just like they are right now. :)

Yep- no matter what it costs I'm gonna need it, so I don't even think about it...I watch my tank fill up and my account balance go down. It's just a fact of life I have to adjust to and deal with.  :roll:
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2005, 05:08:44 PM »
Quote from: "JDawg"
I personally would cut down on other expenses before selling or reverting my car back to stock... it is a hobby and source of enjoyment.

I agree, that is my point.  For those of us on this forum, to complain about gas prices is somewhat hypocritical....We have all modified our cars to provide a source of daily enjoyment, and we spend a good share of our funds on this hobby.  I can personally say that I spend upwards around $10K per year in auto related products soley for the enjoyment fo my cars....mods, upgrades, tires, and car care products.  If I really wanted to save money, I would curb that spending over worrying about gas prices.  But personally, I love the auto luxuries I have, the enjoyment, so like Jason, I will find other ways to offset the rising cost of gas and the secondary price increases related to this crisis as Jason so appropriatly pointed out for us all.

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2005, 06:16:57 PM »
Agreed on that point. Not that I have any hardcore modifications on the 2.8 (like a PES Supercharger), but I wouldn't de-mod my car for rising gas prices.  But then, I still average 20 MPG in the city and I drive maybe 40 miles a week, if that.

One thing that has personally irritated me is that I have a lot of friends who talk down people who own mopeds.  I think they're great, in fact, I know very few relatives in Germany who don't own one and use it on a regular basis.  Now, if we could only have Audi bring over their TDI engines, that would be great. A4 TDI wagon would be near the top of my list for replacement cars.

Ben

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2005, 06:43:11 PM »
I'd love to find an old TDi and do a biodiesel conversion. But garage space, time and money are keeping me from that project for now....

I think old fryer oil is more like $3 a fill-up rather than $3/gallon.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2005, 06:45:12 PM »
Quote from: "hotani"
I'd love to find an old TDi and do a biodiesel conversion. But garage space, time and money are keeping me from that project for now....

I think old fryer oil is more like $3 a fill-up rather than $3/gallon.

our 1 tank of biodiesel wasnt so great.. the car lacked power and didn't seem to run as smooth.

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2005, 06:53:07 PM »
I'm also going to say, since I didn't address the money issue discussed earlier, that that is a major factor. I'm in school, as I think everybody knows at this point, and don't have a ton of cash, and absolutely zero cash flow.  I used to love to drive around for the hell of it, whether to calm nerves or to pass a half an hour. I don't do that anymore. And I'd like to say that if I were working, I probably still would be.  I really miss the driving around (as it is one of my favorite things to do), and acknowledge that the only reason I no longer do it because of the guilt it imposes now when I burn through $5 or $10 worth of gas just cruising around the city for an hour.

Ben