Author Topic: What are you going to do with rising gas costs?  (Read 14872 times)

Uber_Wagon

• Stock
What are you going to do with rising gas costs?
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2005, 05:01:39 PM »
Quote from: "BHase"
I live in St. Louis and I don't feel safe with the type of driver that frequents our roadways.  

Ben

I'd never ride a scooter in St. Louis either.   If youare in school (and don't need to stray far from campus) it might be ok, but since most everything is suburban and spaced out there, it would be hard to fet around without using the Highways and I wouldn't feel safe in that situation on a scooter.

Where are you at in St. Louis?   I grew up out there. (Kirkwood)

I'm glad I only live 9 blocks from work.  I've always joked that I shouldn't be driving to work at all, anyway.  Now I have some motivation to get over my early morning lazyness and actually thak the morning walk.

I sure do miss the days of filling up my Rabbit (First Car) for $6.00 back in the late 80's.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2005, 05:12:06 PM »
Yes, but for me, spending that time with my fiancee, family or friends is worth more to me than saving some money and spending 4 hours of my day on a bus.

I would have to leave at 5:30am and I probably wouldn't get home until 7:30 or 8pm. That's a long ass day, not to mention I already work about 50 - 60 hours a week at least. I would be giving up an extra 13 - 16 hours a week riding the bus! If I work late enough, I get screwed on the bus thing I'm sure.

What sucks is, when I lived in Denver it was pretty easy to do the bus stuff, but since everything goes there first it is almost worthless.  

If it were only an hour, yeah I would do it. Maybe not every day, but as much as I could. Renee may start riding as it is pretty direct for her since she works  in Glendale/Cherry Creek.

However, we are waiting to see what happens in the next few weeks. There isn't a need to do it now, but if we can save $40 - $50 month by her riding the bus a few days a week it's not such a bad thing. That's almost 2 bottles of tequila and some margarita mix! (we're cheap) or almost a keg!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2005, 05:12:06 PM »

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2005, 05:35:54 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
Yes, but for me, spending that time with my fiancee, family or friends is worth more to me than saving some money and spending 4 hours of my day on a bus.

I agree - if i had to spend 4 hours on the bus every day i'd probably go back to driving.

OT: just make sure you get 100% agave, AKA 100 octane tequila. Bottles of 30-30 are under $20 - MUCH less than a tank of gas! ;)

Cuervo gold (51 octane) will cause pinging and other long term consequences, one of them being 'acquired fear of tequila' or 'AFT.' :lol:
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2005, 06:08:42 PM »
LOL

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2005, 01:00:28 PM »
Quote from: "Uber_Wagon"
Where are you at in St. Louis?   I grew up out there. (Kirkwood)

I live in University City, a couple of blocks north of downtown Clayton (Delmar & I-170).  I'm not too far at all from school, actually I just have to cruise 2.5-3.0 miles down Delmar to get there.

Oh, and by the way, I don't know if it is this bad yet in Denver, but I paid $3.39/gallon yesterday for 93 octane premium.

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

Uber_Wagon

• Stock
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2005, 01:09:58 PM »
Ahhh... 93 octane.  I wish I could score that out here...  (Maybe not with the high prices now, though)

It was $3.11  yesterday for 91 (the best we have here), and I just saw the guy swithing prices again this morning to $3.29.  This place is usally a bit cheaper than other area stations, too.  

:evil: I had visions of bludgening the guy with his damn suction cup, number changing stick.  :evil:  But, I just drove on.

I take it your at Wash U?

Vanimaniac

• Stock
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2005, 02:22:10 PM »
I bought this for my wife the other day.....

Gets about 80MPG, doesn't require plates, registration, title, insurance (although I did buy insurance at 88.11/year at State Farm), and will hit close to 50MPH cause it has been degoverned.

We'll see how many days we can get out of it through the winter but if prices keep going up then I'll just have to in"vest" in that heated vest.

Van
here are three kinds of people, those that can count and those that can't.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #97 on: September 04, 2005, 01:53:06 PM »
it was $3.43 for 91oct yesterday at shell. I opened the wallet and gave her $55.40 to fill her up. Oh well.

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2005, 03:30:39 PM »
Quote from: "Uber_Wagon"
I take it your at Wash U?

Right, Wash U law.  I now refer to filling up the car as rolling up a fifty dollar bill and sticking it into the gas tank.

Ben
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
« Reply #99 on: September 08, 2005, 02:31:39 PM »
check out http://www.denvergasprices.com and you can search for the lowest prices in your area.  It is $3.19 for premium at the Shell near me, and prices should be dropping lower to under $3.00 fairly soon.
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #100 on: September 08, 2005, 02:33:57 PM »
Yeah, there is some gouging going on right now. I noticed prices as a whole have come up over the last couple days instead of staying steady and dropping.  Those stations are trying to squeeze more money out of people.

I am going to have to put some gas in tonight, I am going to hope prices drop tonight or maybe wait til morning and see where they are then.

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #101 on: September 08, 2005, 07:18:57 PM »
I had a bad dream last night, and gas cost $6.79 per gallon. No joke, I dreamt that.

Ben

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
« Reply #102 on: September 09, 2005, 11:43:47 AM »
The Energy Information Administration, a division of the U.S. Energy Department, revised figures for winter following Katrina and said:

_ Petroleum will cost 34 percent more than a year ago.

_ Natural gas will be 52 percent more expensive.

_ Electricity will likely cost Americans 11 percent more than in 2004.
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #103 on: September 09, 2005, 01:57:10 PM »
Quote from: "JDawg"
The Energy Information Administration, a division of the U.S. Energy Department, revised figures for winter following Katrina and said:

_ Petroleum will cost 34 percent more than a year ago.

_ Natural gas will be 52 percent more expensive.

_ Electricity will likely cost Americans 11 percent more than in 2004.

I wonder which will be cheaper: sitting in my car with the engine running and the heater on, or sitting in my apartment (single-pane windows) with the heating on. Hmm. How are people going to afford this? Many poor families had a real problem affording heating in the previous years without a 52% rise in gas costs.

Ben

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #104 on: September 09, 2005, 02:14:54 PM »
Ouch. Anyone want to go wood stove shopping with me? :lol:

I lived in a house with wood stove heat for a winter in college. Had to cut wood ever couple of weeks (it was in the NC mountain 'wilderness'.. haha), but damn that heating bill was cheap (read: free)!

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2005, 11:32:50 PM »
There is a place in Montana I go to a lot that has a wood stove thing to heat the whole cabin.   I love it, and chopping wood is so much fun.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2005, 05:47:28 PM »
Not sure how the rest of my building's occupants would feel about all the smoke...

Ben

euro3b

• Stock
« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2005, 08:24:22 PM »

Drive my car even harder!

Rich
eni Vidi Vici

s4josh

• Modded
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2005, 12:37:50 PM »
To fill my Passat I have been siphoning off my neibors Dodge and Ford diesel trucks.  It has been a nice transition from actually having to pay for fuel.
Josh Ver 2.0

2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE DSG
2009 VW Jetta TDI 6sp man
2006 VW MkV GTI DSG w/LC
2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI-PD
2003 VW Jetta TDI-PD
2001 Audi B5.5 S4 6sp man

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2005, 01:01:51 PM »
HAHAHAHA! That's awesome. :lol: